1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New here and terrified

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Robyn S, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Robyn S

Robyn S New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Hi all,
    I'm new here, 62, female. I'll try to keep my story brief but what I'm hoping for is some reassurance and hope. I know how to do research, but some of the info out there is terrifying. In order to get to the good stuff, I have to wade through a bunch of scary stuff.

I was dx with BPPV in 2005; epley maneuver worked fine. I had another outbreak of it 2017, and it disappeared with Epley after a refresher course from my GP and an rx of meclizine that I never had to use.

Fast forward to Sept. 2020. Sat up quickly from lying down on my couch one evening, and got the most horrible vertigo ever. Tried Epley, didn't work. I started throwing up and having the runs. It lasted about 3 hours, I went to sleep, and it went away. I saw my GP, who dx me with BPPV again because of my description. Gave me Zofran and meclizine. Said it was stress related. She sent me to a vestibular therapist who thought it was BPPV, but I was so terrified when she told me she'd have to try to get me into vertigo to help me I didn't go back.

Meanwhile, 2 or so more horrible vertigo episodes like the one above. In November I was hiking on a trail with my husband and all of a sudden I had roaring tinnitus and here came another vertigo attack--severe, same as above. We made it to the car and went home where I laid on the bed throwing up in a trash can.

Saw my first ENT, who wasn't very helpful. He ordered a hearing test which he said "showed normal age-related hearing loss in left ear" (my affected ear), but I have had acute hearing all my life so hearing loss of this kind could be dramatic for me. I have no baseline to compare.

Meanwhile I did research and put myself on a low sodium diet, no alcohol (I don't smoke) and reduced stress by taking some time off this semester. Did I mention I teach at a uni, and learning how to teach in a pandemic made last semester the most difficult stressful semester of my career?

I have medical anxiety and generalized anxiety disorder, both dx by professionals.

I've had 2 more mild episodes since the above changes--about 1.5 hours--and one big one yesterday. We had a huge snowstorm move out of my area and as that happened and the barometric pressure rose I swear I felt my ear immediately clog up, tinnitus, then bam, vertigo attack. I didn't throw up because I took meclizine, .12 xanax, and Zofran immediately and laid down for about 2 or so hours.

I see my second ENT tomorrow who comes highly recommended with years of experience. What should I ask him? Betahistimine rx, ???

I am a yoga practitioner, meditate, and very active. Been in great health all my life. No comorbities or anything. This is demoralizing, debilitating, and I'm very scared. I hope I can find some reassurance and strength here.

I guess this post wasn't very brief after all. Thanks for listening-I look forward to replies.

2. Robyn S

Robyn S New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    I might add to my above post that I've cut out caffeine as well, and I eat clean anyway-so low sodium (1500 mg or less-often less) wasn't as hard for me as I thought it would be.

3. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Hi Robyn!

Welcome! I'm 49 and also suffer from an anxiety disorder though I am apparently high-functioning so not a lot of people know it... but trust me, everyone on here knows the terror and anxiety you are feeling. Not only trying to figure out how to work and raise families and function with this debilitating illness but also, as you point out, reading about all these horrible outcomes for some people - it's hard to remain positive and not fear for what the future will hold. But there are plenty of stories about people who go into remission for 10 years, 20 years, indefinitely..... the key is to find the trick to it for you specifically then remain vigilant.

The good news is that you are "early stage". And with any condition, better outcomes are related to getting early treatments as you know.

I cannot comment on the drugs or what questions to ask of the medical professionals but I'll offer my thoughts otherwise....

Low sodium is important but for most people they need more than that to control this.

There is a lot of evidence (certainly anecdotal on here and I support this theory from my experiences too) that there is a viral component to this, especially the Herpes virus (think cold sores, shingles and chicken pox). That it is to blame. Please read up on these forums on the "John of Ohio Regimen" and give that a good read and the recommended supplements a try. It has helped many.

In addition, consider & research the following:
    • Candidiasis (overgrowth of yeast in your gut as a result of taking antibiotics usually)
    • Leaky Gut Syndrome
    • Food allergies and food sensitivities - I recommend seeking out an IgG food antibody test through Genova Diagnostics if you are in the States, or LifeLabs version in Canada
    • Avoiding foods high in arginine (like nuts) as they promote viral replication
    • Taking a high potency B Complex as well as a good multivitamin
    • Some of us are also taking supplements such as pycnogenol, glutathione and/or NAC, a new one I recommend called Fucoidan and others - there are a lot of threads in the forums.

Anyway, since you are otherwise healthy and it sounds like you are the type of person willing to put in the work to maintain good health.... I'm pretty confident that your issues can be resolved with some combination of the above approaches.

Let us know how you do!

4. Robyn S

Robyn S New Member

Jan 24, 2021
    Hi Rubygirl,

I did have chicken pox as a kid and I had shingles in 2011. I got the vaccine a few years ago. And--I have had, in the past, stress-related mouth sores (like cold sores, but on the inside of my mouth). I haven't had an outbreak in some years, but it did come and go for a long time. So your post was very interesting.

I did see my naturopath two weeks ago, who now has me on CoQ10, ginko, and fruit anthocyanins. I take 1200 mg of Vit C that comes in a powder mix with other vit and minerals, I take theanine, biotin, Vit D (4000 mg), VK2 and I just bought lysine. The lysine is new. I checked to make sure the Vit C mix didn't have electrolytes and I didn't see any (it's not E-mergency--another brand with less sugar). I do eat nuts because, being vegetarian (and not eating cheese much anymore-it's a garnish now, because of the high sodium), I need protein. Are their "safe" nuts to eat? I read on these forums to avoid almonds.

If it indeed is a viral problem, then how do I go about asking my ENT for an anti-viral? And I found this research article about Meniere's attacks and change in barometric pressure, and wondered if anyone else is affected. Atmospheric Pressure and Onset of Episodes of Menière’s Disease - A Repeated Measures Study

I live in No. Az and we have been in a terrible drought since last March. We finally got a massive snowstorm (beginning last Saturday) and when it exited finally on Tuesday--wow. In a matter of minutes my ear "felt weird"--like someone had shoved cotton in it and I felt noticeable pressure-and then the attack.

Thanks for replying. I've been feeling isolated and haven't found any real active Meniere's forums in my searches, so glad there are others out there who know what I'm talking about.

I'll look into your helpful suggestions. Hope others will weigh in as they can!

5. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Hi Robyn. Welcome, although I wish you didn't need to be here. I have Meniere's. Had a terrible bout with vertigo in November when the hurricane came through so I, too, find barometric pressures greatly affect my symptoms. I will spare you my story but I did share your concerns with my vestibular physical therapist today. He said it is necessary to induce your symptoms, to some degree, in order to get a good assessment for your treatment. He explained the problem in detail, so the therapist was correct. I know it is terrifying, I hate the thought of vertigo happening, but, as I progress through PT, I see improvement over time and with dedication to doing the exercises. Perhaps your next therapist will be able to provide a detailed explanation to allievate your fears. Hang in there.

6. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Hi again.

It sounds to me like the viral component is a for sure in your sufferings!

Regarding the pressure changes: Well, we know that MD is caused by excess fluid in the inner ear (from inflammation or whatnot) but it is not known why. But if the mechanism is the excess fluid then it would stand to reason that atmospheric pressure changes are going to affect the pressure within the ear chambers and that will exacerbate or alleviate symptoms. We all know how pressure changes affect ears with flights (or any scuba divers know). So that would make sense for all of us.

What we are trying to do then is figure out, for each one of us (is often different for everyone), what is causing the inflammation. Hence my original list. :)

I strongly suggest you look up and print out the John of Ohio regimen and get on it ASAP. Share it with your naturopath as it is well researched, with lots of sound theory behind it and there is absolutely nothing harmful in there. You can raise the concept of antivirals with the ENT and some are receptive and others are not but you can arm yourself with natural antivirals like the Lysine (make sure you are taking 3000mgs + per day to have effect at this point), and feel free to add others like Fucoidan secondarily.

You may also wish to share the following science-based article with him/her: Vertigo and Dizziness - Life Extension

Generally speaking, a vegetarian diet is high in arginine (which competes with Lysine and thus promotes viral replication) given it's dependence on nuts, seeds and legumes for protein (all high in arginine). If you are following a vegetarian diet for health reasons then maybe it's time to rethink as it would be promoting MD rather than good health. I remember being in university and going vegetarian for a year for health and moral reasons, only to feel crappy and only to find out that I actually had IgG antibodies to, and therefore food sensitivities to, most nuts and legumes and especially soy! So it might be the best diet for most people but it was not for me. If you are vegetarian for moral reasons then you'll have to come to some happy medium.

Note too that protein powders are often high in arginine and also look at things you are taking like soy milk and almond milk and things like that which you may not think about when you are avoiding nuts and legumes....

And when I say "high in arginine" I sort of mean foods that are high in arginine and low in lysine. If something is high in both (like beef or other animal proteins) then it is "balanced" and the lysine will antagonize the arginine and all will be well. It's the imbalance that is more a problem.

You mention cheese but I rely heavily on greek yogurt for protein these days. I mix up this banana-avocado-matcha powder-cinnamon-greek yogurt-baby spinach smoothie for breakfast most days and it's the best (super high in potassium). Smoothies are a godsend.

Hope this all makes sense!

7. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Oh, and for sure your naturopath can order an IgG Food Sensitivity test for you. It's a real eye-opener!