1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Is it worth getting prescription hearing aids ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, Oct 10, 2020.

1. RCS

RCS New Member

Jan 7, 2021
    Yeah that sucks. Ill still try, but I have my serious doubts as you just confirmed. Might be ok on days when Im just dealing with my baseline loss of hearing, but didnt think it would clear up the mud I hear when I having an attack. When my attack is as bad as it can get - I cant hear or understand anything. My wife yells at me (in a loving way haha) as she is standing right in front of me and I just shake my head and say " just text me"
    Thanks for the reply to my question. As I posted earlier, I have never met or talked with anyone who has had MD. I never knew if I was alone in my symptoms. Glad know I have a place to turn. Peace

• Like Like x 1
  2. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Sorry about that yellowboy. I would say don't give up. I am wearing the one from Costco now - I trialed an Oticon 1 around the same time I was in trial at Costco. The Oticon 3 was worse; 2 was similar; 1 was better but not double the cost better. Now my purpose is to try to hear anything with my bad ear since after so many attacks the left ear hearing is deplorable like -75 -80 flat all tones.

3. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Took mine back to Costco last week. They were good - full refund no questions asked.

• Like Like x 1
  4. arcticblueice

arcticblueice Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Hey Yellowboy,
    I'm glad that you got your money back. I got hearing aids after MD damaged my hearing so badly I could not hear on the phone anymore back in 2018. I bought 19 channel Hearing Aids that an audiologist programmed to fill in the gaps of my damaged hearing. My right ear is still useless for speech but my left ear is better with the phone now. It will probably make a difference if you go to an audiologist to have a hearing test and then have your hearing aids adjusted to fill in the gaps for your hearing loss. If you don't get channelized hearing aids than ALL sounds will be amplified which will produce a horrible result. Getting the right hearing aids adjusted will make a difference. I would not recommend Miracle Ear but am enjoying better success with the ReSound LiNX Quattro 961R. They are rechargeable and one charge lasts 30 hours or so. Using hearing aids has definitely reduced my tinnitus. I hope something works out for you.

5. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks I tried a total of 3 demo pairs. They did not help much. The 3 pairs were programmed just for my hearing, had many programs and still did not help much. I spent more time worrying about losing them than it was worth ! I am going to try the new Sentien device when it comes out.

6. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Update, my hearing has deteriorated - or my fullness is worse - or both I can never tell !

I am back in a hearing aids. Went to a local audiologist to try cross aids and she tried to talk me into a pair of regulars for $ 5,300 because I had some hearing left in my bad ear (really ?), I said no thanks (bait and switch ?). Then I tried cross aids from her . The pair was $ 4200.00 and if I lost them tough shi#, buy another pair ! They didn't work any better than regular aids for me. I told her too expensive - I was going to Costco- she went ballistic on me !! Anyway I am back with a regular hearing aid - just one - from Costco . The sales man there (who doesn't work on commission BTW) said my bad ear is so bad don't waste the money on one for it. He gave me a more thorough test than the "masters degree audiologist" (big deal) . They don't sell cross btw. $ 900.00, full refund up to 6 months, full loss replacement up to 2 years. Why go anywhere else ??

PS: (I DON'T WORK FOR THEM AND AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH THEM, JUST TRYING TO SAVE ALL YOU FOLKS ON HERE MONEY).

• Like Like x 1
  7. twodogs

twodogs Member

Jul 26, 2018
    I am all but deaf in my left ear so why do I use a HA in it? Bone conduction. My audiologist informed me that whatever the left ear hears helps my other ear. Even a bit of help warrants two aids for me.
    The warranty on my aids was six years so when I lost one a year ago it was replaced for $250.00. I cannot hear anything but noise without the HAs so you bet I wear them. They do not and can not help with tinnitus by the way. Anyone who says they do is lying.

8. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Yellowboy, apologies if I missed a post, but why not give the Sentient bone conduction devices a chance? As JonBubo stated they come out in April and will probably only cost $300 or so. Although since many of us were part of the Kickstarter buy in, we can give you a report hopefully by April/May so it may be worth waiting till then.

9. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Actually I am in on the kickstarter too ! Thanks

10. Tim Spetzman

Tim Spetzman New Member

Feb 17, 2022
    Minnesota

11. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Update - my $ 900.00 hearing aid is worth it. Helps me hear better in my good ear and for the price I blue tooth to my phone and hear it ring even when I am 25 feet away or in another room. I am missing less calls because of it. Am keeping it.

12. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Forgot - I got a Phillips Hearing Aid. Pairs to my phone, has different environmental adjustments (but they don't seem to make any difference).

13. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I got my Sentien yesterday, will report back on it in a few. BTW, am I missing something this is only a Bluetooth bone induction device - not something that helps your hearing correct ?

14. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    HERE IS WHAT I POSTED ON THE SENTIEN SITE. WHEN I FIRST HEARD ABOUT IT ON HERE I THOUGHT IT REPLACED OR COULD BE USED AS A HEARING AID. I AM NOT SURE IF I MISREAD THE POSTING OR IT WAS MISLEADING, IT'S BEEN A FEW YEARS AS THIS WAS SUPPOSED TO COME OUT 3-4 YEARS AGO. IT IS AN OVERPRICED BLUETOOTH DEVICE- THAT'S ALL. THERE ARE MORE PROVEN BRANDS ON AMAZON FOR LESS MONEY. ALLOT OF PEOPLE HAVE PAID FOR THIS IN ADVANCE AND ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT AS THEY ARE VERY SLOW IN FILLING ORDERS.

Well folks I have my Sentien. I got it about 6 weeks ago. I won it in the giveaway. I thank them for that, but I have to be honest here in all fairness.
    First I am glad I did not put any money down on this - except two dollars to reserve one -I think --a long long time ago. I have been having allot of problems with it. It has a short battery life. The volume controls only work about half the time, I have to shut it off and turn it on to get them to work. It is very quirky on pairing. Sound it OK, no better or worse than other devices I have. But the worst feature is the power button. It is so small and recessed that I have to use a fingernail to power it on and off and that's hard to do when it's being worn. I would not buy this at any price let alone $ 300.00. On the plus side, since it's the first bone conduction device I have used I will be buying a different brand on Amazon. I prefer it to headphones. Good luck to all of you

15. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I'm very happy with my Phonak hearing aids.

Also, in another thread, I posted info about an online course for Living Well with Hearing Loss. One classmate had no hearing loss, but severe tinnitus. So much useful info, delivered in a fun and supportive way! Highly recommend.