1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

This can be TMJ or kind of MD?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by InterrogationSymbol, Mar 1, 2021.

1. InterrogationSymbol

InterrogationSymbol New Member

Mar 1, 2021
    Dear everybody,

I am new in this forum. First of all, excuse me if I am not in the right forum to make this consultation, hope anyone could help me. I have a problem for long time and I would like to listen your opinions.

I am gonna try to sum it up:

When I was 16, I woke up one day and something changed. My ears feel plugged, or full, I don't know how to explain, at the same time, I had the impression that I didn't hear well, like all sounds were muffled. I remember I went to the GP and he derivated me to the ENT. Meanwhile, I decided to visit an audiologist to make an examination. Was really surprising that my hearing examination was good, or better said, excellent. However, I was very sad, because even if you don't believe me, I swear that I cannot hear well.

The ENT then ordered another test. Same result, so nothing to worry about. At least for him, because I started to feel very depressed. That sensation in the ear is desperating. However, he suggested me visiting a dentist.

I had orthodontics and now my teeth look much better, it seemed my mouth was misaligned. However, it didn't solve the problem. I just felt relief when I failed in a depression and the doctor gave me pills for that.

Around 6 years later, I started to have serious problems with my TMJ. I had pain that it didn't let me sleep or even opening the mouth properly. I am a musician and this really bothered me. However, with the past of years I could deal with that.

With 25 years, again depressed because this ear problem, I went to another ENT. I had a test battery including camera tubes, audiogram and tympanogram. Everything was fine. In this moment the ENT suggested I could have excess of liquids in my ears (Later I investigate this is the hydrops). He gave me diuretic pills and low salt diet, however, this was not useful at all. Later I visited a Neurologist. As you can imagine, BERA and brain MRI was OK.

12 years after this issue, I still have this fullness and deafness sensation in my ears, it is 24/7. The audiograms are still ok, and I never experienced any vertigo.

Sometimes I experience high-pitch tinnitus and some of them are really loud and disappear in a few seconds.

What do you think? Do you believe that I could have any kind of hydrops? does anyone experienced problems with TMJ like me?

Thanks a lot for your patience and your help.

Best whises,

T.

2. BT1

BT1 New Member

Dec 17, 2020
    Very sorry to hear about your current issues. Ear and TMJ issues are not fun so I sympathize with your situation.
    However your symptoms certainly don't sound like Meniere's to me- no Vertigo, Tinnitus disappears after only a few seconds so most likely you have something else going on. However I was diagnosed with MD and to this day I still DON'T know what that means! Haha. I mean obviously I know what Meniere's is, however symptoms vary so widely it can be confusing to understand what to do with a Meniere's diagnosis.
    Like you, I have also had TMJ and ear fullness issues. However those symptoms appeared AFTER my first vertigo episode which seems like it should be in the opposite order. For me it began with Vertigo twice within a few days, followed by ear fullness/tinnitus, crackling in the ear and then TMJ popping and cracking within a few weeks of my first vertigo episode.
    It makes way too much sense for Tinnitus issues to be TMJ related if you have both symptoms. The TMJ literally sits about 0.5cm from the middle ear , and both my symptoms started within a week or two of each other. Luckily my jaw was only in pain for the first weeks when it first started, after that the pain went away and was simply left with a popping, cracking jaw with only minor discomfort for the last 10 yrs.
    I also have a night grinding issue which I believe also plays a huge factor in my TMJ issues.
    For you it also sounds like a dental, TMJ issue causing any ear problems.
    I certainly don't have the answers, but here's a few things that have worked for me.
    - proper stretching of the neck, back and jaw
    - eustachian tube exercises
    -deep nose breathing exercises
    -ear stretching/massage
    -tmj massage
    here's a few videos that have helped

Good Luck!

• Like Like x 1
  3. InterrogationSymbol

InterrogationSymbol New Member

Mar 1, 2021

Dear BT1,

I can't express how much grateful I am for your response ;). I feel sorry that you are suffering from both MD and TMJ:(. Hope you are dealing with it!

Sometimes, I have tinnitus that lasts for days, it is very high pitched (Around 10000 Hz) but not very disturbing. This one always comes when my TMJ/Shoulder/Neck extra tension, so I always linked it with that.

Like you, I confess that I don't really use to have pain in my TMJ, it is more described... as a sensation of discomfort, maybe? But believe me, is not better than pain.

Once again, thanks a lot for sharing me your experience!