1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Has anyone had unusual vestibular symptoms following a covid vaccine?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Mar 18, 2021.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I recently visited a forum at vestibular.org and saw many reports of people saying they have had dizziness, vertigo, etc. days or weeks after either a 1st or 2nd shot. I recently posted a thread describing unusually strong symptoms the past week, and have to wonder if it's associated with the vaccination. Curious as to whether anyone else here seems to notice anything especially vestibular-related following any covid vaccine. Most interesting is that many who report on the other forum indicate no prior history of any vestibular issues. This thread is associated with my most recent one, though when I posted that one I had not yet come across others reporting similar symptoms following an injection.

• Like Like x 1
  2. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    We have a disease that produces dizziness and vertigo every so often no matter what we do or drink (except for some people who know for sure its triggers).

So, it could be true that the covid vaccine causes dizziness in Meniere, but it could also be true that all those people or most of them would have been equally dizzy on the same day at the same time even if they had not been vaccinated.

It is like the current news that the astrazeneca vaccine can cause blood clots because several cases appeared in people who had been vaccinated. But annual thrombus admissions statistics show that the number of people with this health problem is the same as in other years, the most likely being that these people would have had a thrombus even if they had not been vaccinated. For safety, it is thoroughly analyzed and it is verified that the vaccine is not the cause, but 99% that it is not.

Another example, if all of us who have Meniere in this forum decided to start shaking hands in circles for 10 seconds every day when we woke up, many would have dizziness as they almost always do. Is shaking hands in circles the cause of dizziness? Probably not.

It is the bad thing about Meniere, a disease that strikes randomly is difficult to find a correlation. However, the vaccine could be the cause since it is "perking up" the immune system and if this is somehow involved in Meniere it could affect the symptoms.

However, there is something weird about what you say. Did everyone who reported dizziness use the same vaccine? In my country right now there are five different vaccines and soon two more, several use different biotechnologies to immunize and even those that use the same mechanism have different compounds. Therefore, it is almost impossible for different vaccines to produce exactly the same reaction in several patients. If everyone was vaccinated with the same vaccine and had dizziness then yes, we have a very suspicious correlation. Otherwise it seems that it is only people looking for an explanation to their disease that allows them to control it, I understand them because I have reached the point where I am pointing out my symptoms according to the lunar phases in case a logical correlation appears.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    *nods… Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

*chuckles

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    It seems highly unlikely that so many people without previous vestibular issues are having them after getting the vaccine and it is all "coincidence". I don't think so. If you Google "covid vaccines dizziness" it is listed as a possible adverse reaction. People are not being adequately informed as to the possible side effects, and that needs to change. People have a right to know what they might be in for before they get the shot. Had I not had a really bad feeling about the vaccine and started researching it, and finding this out, I would have just blindly gotten it. I haven't gotten it and I won't.

• Like Like x 2
  5. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Dizziness, fever, muscle pain, headaches, nausea, vomiting or allergic reaction are several of the side effects that, at least here, we are informed as possible side effects. The important thing is that they are not persistent and last a short time, on the other hand in my experience after knowing vertigo and dizziness I can tell you that 99% of healthy people who say they have dizziness do not know what they are talking about, neither do I knew before.

Hell (vertigo and dizziness) is only imaginable until you actually visit it, then you realize that your imagination fell short.

• Like Like x 1
  6. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    All we are hearing here in the U.S.--at least all I've heard--about side effects is possible fever, chills, and general flu-like symptoms, and a sore arm. The possible side effects are being minimized.

I agree with you that most people who have not experienced vertigo and dizziness have no idea of what it is. But--many of these people on the other site describe the room spinning, being unable to walk and having to crawl to the bathroom. Sounds like vertigo to me. Many are saying they are having dizziness problems for weeks--that's not a short time in my book.

• Like Like x 1
  7. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    But the people in that forum, were they healthy people or people with Meniere before getting vaccinated? Perhaps I have misunderstood, I understood that there were people with Meniere who associated having dizziness and vertigo after being vaccinated.

I already have several family and friends who have been vaccinated, none have had noteworthy side effects.

• Like Like x 1
  8. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Well.. not to dispute the logical implications of your response...however, I do know one thing. I've been around the block with meniere's for quite awhile now, and never have had this sensation of ear blockage. It is totally different from anything I've experienced before. Certainly possible for it to be purely coincidental with the 2nd vaccine dose, but also gives pause for consideration. Those on the other forum, to the best of my memory without looking back at posts, basically referred to 1st or 2nd dose of either Pfizer or Moderna.

9. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Some had previous vestibular issues, but many who reported said they've never had any.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Yes..that's sort of what struck me as well. Makes one wonder if there are things we haven't been told about these vaccines. Not to gainsay the need for them - and I was as eager to get it as anyone. I'm not trying to be contentious or judgmental, but just found it interesting that there were people reporting symptoms - all of which were reported following a vaccination. As Ivan correctly indicates, the immune system is being ramped up - so who knows what to fully expect. We've never been down this exact road before with either this particular virus or the vaccines that were developed to deal with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    The majority had no previous history of vestibular issues. The few people I know who have been vaccinated had no severe side effects.

I have a friend who also has MM. She was advised by her doctor to not have the vaccine.

12. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Neither Ivan nor myself proclaim coincidence, we're acknowledging the additional information required to determine causation: the information required in addition to the fact that event B followed event A.

Moreover, the deeper point remains. We vaccinate ourselves against COVID-19 not to prevent disease severity equal to that of dizziness or vertigo, for example, but rather to prevent possible death.

Considering most people most of the time preference a limited duration of possible dizziness or vertigo over possible death, vaccinating oneself against COVID-19 remains the logical thing to do.

• Winner Winner x 2
  13. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Nathan...understood. I obviously don't have the facts at hand to provide the uncontestable link you allude to; rather, I'm just reporting people suffering with these symptoms - going on weeks post-injection in many cases. I wll say this..IF this were to become some sort of permanent situation, e.g. the immune system and/or whatever else is ramped up to the degree that whatever is going on with my left ear, etc. will not subside, I'd much rather, in retrospect, have taken my chances with covid than have to live with the fear of not even wanting to go too far from home due to the chances of some sudden attack that is debilitating in nature. That's a pretty hard pill to swallow for someone like myself who loves traveling. I might hazard to say that it's much easier for someone to simply say there's no provable connection between point A and point B (ergo the benefits of the shots outweigh the downside) than it is for someone who is suffering from symptoms that they've never quite had before (or even at all) to support the same argument. I get your point but unfortunately it doesn't make things any easier to deal with for the present. IF these symptoms go away then, yeah, I'll look back on it thankful that I have the vaccine, for what it's worth. Keep in mind that we as of yet have NO idea as to the long-term efficacy of any of these products. There is no sort of broad moral implication behind the things I'm posting. Did the world need the vaccines? Most certainly. THAT is an uncontestable fact. I'm just reporting what I've been experiencing - especially here - since it could maybe affirm (if there is one) some sort of predisposition for those who HAVE vestibular issues to maybe be more prone to the experiences I've been having. Thus far, I'm not seeing much response on this board. It would seem (and I'm trying to gain further info on this) that these 'effects' (I'll refrain from saying side effects at the risk of incurring further contentiousness) are thus not limited to those who either have pre-existing meniere's or some other vestibular-related symptoms.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I ran out of edit time and yet wanted to make a few more points. Consider that 80%, generally speaking, of people who do get covid experience mild to moderate symptoms that don't even require any treatment. I've already been to two doctors and have no resolution, so I submit that the typical, manageable, relatively short-lived covid symptoms are easier to deal with than what I and some others have been going through. Internet forums are just that..internet forums. People will say what they say and you either take them for their word or don't. Check out what I'm referring to over at vestibular.org I'm just referencing what others are saying - who would appear to have little to gain by reporting inaccurate or otherwise false information.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa

• Like Like x 1
  16. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Everyone has their own close experience and it is insufficient to draw a general conclusion, but I already know quite a few people who have been vaccinated without any significant symptoms.

I know people who were infected with covid and did not have symptoms as you say, but I also have two college classmates who after almost a year of having passed the Covid have not recovered their smell or taste, surely we all know celebrities from our countries who They have had a terrible time or have died from Covid (at least we know that Boris Johnson was seriously ill) and I have met several people who have lost relatives due to Covid. I also know that my mother has gotten a job thanks to the fact that Covid has drastically reduced the workforce of a company and they urgently needed people.

At this point if you talk to people you really know from your childhood, family, work, youth, ex-lovers, etc. Trusted and real people (not from the internet) it is 99% impossible that you do not already know enough cases of people vaccinated without problems, of people who suffered fatally from the covid or have died and of people with incurable sequelae. At this point they are no longer simple rumors, the truth is out there (X-Files music). Although it is true that there are dizzy people and that the cause is the vaccine, the alternative is to die, infect and kill their loved ones or be left with serious consequences, in my country there are young people who have had to learn to walk again, for example .

And again, do we know if all those who report dizziness after the vaccine have been vaccinated with the same type of vaccine? It's something I doubt, but if so then BINGO! we have a suspicious correlation and it would be enough to ask our doctor not to give us that vaccine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. travelershe

travelershe New Member

Jan 18, 2019
    Please check the VEDA site and Facebook pages. Many complaints of vestibular symptoms after vaccines. Posts from different countries, sometimes list shot brand, note: other vestibular ailments besides Meniere's are included. Feel well everyone.

• Like Like x 2
  18. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I have been reading it and there are hardly any correlations except that a few people in the world have got dizzy after getting vaccinations from different pharmaceuticals and types. Most already claimed to have previous vestibular problems, some say they got dizzy a week after being vaccinated, one says it was instantly, some with ptizer others than with modern, a user with a vestibular disease says that whenever they get the flu vaccine or something else gets dizzy and with the covid too, etc.

Therefore, the only conclusion I can draw is that of the 7 billion people who need to be vaccinated with more than 10 or 20 different types of vaccines, some people may have dizziness or vertigo as a side effect, being a much rarer symptom than fever and muscle pains. I have not found any case of persistent dizziness or vertigo that they say is due to the vaccine so we cannot correlate that it is a serious symptom.

At this point there are already 200 million? of vaccinated people in the world. If it produced vertigo or severe dizziness it would already be known for sure, note how with only 30 cases of thrombi in the world in people vaccinated with astrazeneca the vaccination has been stopped for a week to investigate it thoroughly. I do not want to have vertigo again of course, but if there is no other alternative, I prefer to be immunized from Covid and to be able to lead a normal life after a few weeks recovering from vertigo or dizziness than not living without dizziness locked at home without being able to see friends, family or flirt.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. California Sun

May 23, 2019

The accounts I've read have all mentioned either the Pfizer or the Moderna vaccine, except for one which mentioned Astra-Zeneca. And most of those people mentioned having NO previous vestibular issues. Most of these people are saying that the dizziness has gone on for weeks. I'd call that "persistant". These accounts are on the vestibular.org site. Would you mind posting a link to what you are referencing? Thanks.

20. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I mean the same site, I entered as you told me and I have read several pages with comments.

The conclusions are those, you also say them: They report three different vaccines and perhaps it is I who have been dizzy for almost 14 months, but I do not consider "persistent" having dizziness only for weeks, however I have not read that most say that they got dizzy for weeks. And several indicated having various previous vestibular problems such as meniere, viral infection, etc. Others did not say anything about whether they had previous problems. Some had it at the time of being vaccinated other weeks later, etc.

Maybe we have read two different threads or maybe we are interpreting the same comments differently and you see correlations where I don't. I will get vaccinated, I prefer to get dizzy than a 20% chance of needing a respirator and to be left with real "persistent" sequelae, not to mention that in my age group 2 out of every 100 admitted die, if you are older then worse possibilities. And also because I want to end this pandemic and have a normal relationship without being afraid to go see my grandmother and kill her from respiratory failure.

• Like Like x 2