1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Has anyone out there gotten any REAL relief by stopping alcohol ?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, Mar 2, 2021.

1. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I am wondering if anyone has stopped drinking alcohol and seen any difference ? Franky it is one of my last crutches but I would stop if I had to. Just can't seem to pick a start date ! I am currently consuming 2 to 4 twelve ounce beers a day - rarely any hard liquor. Thanks

2. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I have tried it both ways. I didn't get any different relief. The wake up in the morning was always easier but I like beer so I'm sticking with it until its something I have to stop. Just my choice. Good luck

3. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I have hardly had any alcohol since I started Meniere, but at the end of the year I drank several glasses of white wine and although I did not get drunk I was slightly happy. During that night I was great, my tinnitus went down or I perceived it less, I don't know, no dizziness or discomfort.

As I take antivirals, I avoid alcohol for obvious reasons, but at least that end of the year I would say that alcohol even relieved me.

4. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Thanks so far that 2 no to 1 yes, I have something to think about !

5. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    One of the hospitals where I live is dedicated to otorhinolaryngology research, one of its members is a professor at the University and I have examined its published bibliography. She has published tons of studies and statistics, in particular there were two that caught my attention:

-Consuming caffeine seems to accelerate the appearance of meniere symptoms and vertigo attacks by 5-7 years.

-Consuming alcohol in moderation seems to delay the appearance of meniere and vertigo attacks by 7-8 years.

The explanation for the alcohol they think is because it cancels a hormone or something like that. I joke with my friends that since I stopped partying and drinking frequently at the age of 25, all my health problems began (back pain, hand pain, stress, anxiety, gray hair, hair loss and Meniere). Now that study agrees with me (just kidding).

• Like Like x 1
  6. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    That's interesting, I like my coffee and beer, but I might try the coffee stopping first as it would be easier !

• Like Like x 1
  7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Stopping coffee will definitely help at least it did me.

8. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Well I switched to decaffeinated coffee and stopped all alcohol 2 weeks ago. So far there is absolutely no difference. I am going to try and give it 2 more weeks but I would think all alcohol is out of my system by now so I'm not optimistic.

9. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I haven't had an alcoholic drink or caffeine or anything high in Tyramine since 2005. Haven't had any menieres related problems since then.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Did you have all the typical symptoms like fullness distortion and tinnitus ? How long after you stopped did you see any improvement ?

11. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    It made no difference for me. Tried it for 3 months and figured that if it hadn't made a difference by then, it wasn't going to. Started drinking coffee again. Nothing changed either for the better or the worse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    Hi Yellowboy I was diagnosed with menieres in 2003 but it was actually MAV (Migraine associated vertigo) Pretty much as soon as I went without triggers I improved. I bought the book Heal your headache by David Buccholz. Buccholz maintains that menieres is in fact MAV. Its a good read and it became my bible. There is a complete chapter on triggers

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Well that's 4 to 2 yes it helps if I count jaypr - but not sure you are in my category as far as menieres. I am still holding off but it will be 80 here this weekend so I see me breaking down soon !

14. DRySor

DRySor New Member

Mar 15, 2021
    What’s tyramine?

15. DRySor

DRySor New Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Caffeine causes almost instant aggravation of symptoms. Ringing increases and aural fullness.

Every vertigo attack I have had, I had alcohol that night.

I am on antivirals now and take lysine. I may try them again one day but right now it’s a no.

16. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    Tyramine is an amino acid that is in foods and plants. Most people are ok with high levels of tyramine but some like myself react badly to it and might do better on a low tyramine diet. High levels of tyramine for some people can cause headaches,nausea and vomiting. Sound familiar ?. Foods and drinks high in Tyramine are aged cheese, fermented meats, red wine, beer on tap,fish sauce,soy sauce and yeast extract. David Buchholz says menieres is in fact MAV.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. DRySor

DRySor New Member

Mar 15, 2021
    What do you eat? I live on cheese and meat.

What is this David’s credentials?

18. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    almost 3 weeks into no alcohol and decaf coffee - no difference at all. Thinking of going off the wagon this weekend as I would think it's all out of system by now.

19. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I also eat meat and some cheese but not the aged variety. It is the fermentation or aging of some foods that can cause some people problemsI mainly eat fresh meat, mostly white, fish, fresh vegetables and fresh fruit.

David Buchholz's credentials are :- He graduated from the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, served as a Director of the Neurological clinic at John Hopkins for 14 years, where he remains as a Professor. Has published more than 150 scientific publications and has given over 450 invited lectures nationally and internationally and sorted my dizziness and vomiting problems out. His book was the best £12 I have ever spent.

Wishing you well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. DRySor

DRySor New Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I will check out his book. Thanks.

• Agree Agree x 1