1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

The Cure for Menieres Attacks

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bennyhill, Feb 15, 2019.

1. honsohr

honsohr New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    John, could you please elaborate on the virus being more active "for a time"? This period most likely varies a lot between individuals but what intervals have been reported to you? I ask because when I started taking valtrex, I actually woke up the next morning w/o the low-frequency tinnitus in my bad ear and over the course of 5 days, my hearing actually recovered to normal levels, at least in the low-frequency range. Another 5 days later, though, my hearing started to fade away again and after about another week it dropped to being even a bit worse than before starting with valtrex. Some time around that point I even additionally started with lysine. Still, for about a month now I'm struggling with increased symptoms like daily series of small vertigo attacks, prolonged dizziness and even additional tinnitus in my better ear of a kind I never had before.
    Unfortunately, your post also suggested that at least in some cases, symptoms won't subside again so I'd like to get an idea when to give up, especially as the prescribing physician is getting nervous about me being on valtrex for such a long time (as you probably know, normally one would only take a high dose for at most a week).

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    "such a long time" - How long, how high? Some people take it for years or forever. Apparently the Dr.s used to think it could be a kidney problem but that has changed now and they don't need to do yearly kidney checks anymore.

I used AVs to "cure" mine, at least I thought I was cured. Now I realize I was not cured. When I can get AVs now, I plan on taking them pretty much forever. It's getting them that is the problem.

3. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    It appears, perhaps in a majority of cases (but perhaps fewer) that with an antiherpetic drug therapy or lysine, Meniere's symptoms can actually increase; just the opposite of what is desired or anticipated. If either of these therapies, together or in combination, actually do suppress viral activity, how or why could symptoms actually increase? They should begin to decrease, right from the start. But more often, that's not the case.

The exact mechanism causing this is, to me, unknown. But it's rather common. By some mechanism, the herpes virus becomes even more active when first being chemically attacked by either the antiherpetic drugs or the lysine.

The question, as I perceive it, is how long does this symptomatic increase last. If it persists, when should either of those therapies be abandoned? Simply, symptomatic increase is highly variable as to both strength and duration. But in the greater majority of cases, persistence eventually weakens and suppresses the inflammation the virus causes, thereby reducing the symptoms.

How long? I recall regimen users claiming it took up to several months before relief began. More commonly, symptoms start to retreat within 6 to 8 weeks. A few got more prompt relief.

If you are treating with lysine, cost and safety are not problems. Lysine is a common amino acid, found in all protein foods. With prescription antiherpetics you will have to keep in touch with your prescribing physician --- who may not know about the delayed response in cases of Meniere's disease.

It seems, however, that when either lysine or antiherpetic drugs have, at the start, increased symptoms, they eventually are overpowered and symptoms subside. It appears that increased symptoms at the start of therapy indicates that the symptom-causing virus is vulnerable to the therapy, after some unknown period.

Of course, none of this provides the certainty we'd like. But, we are dealing with Meniere's disease, for which uncertainty is a rather constant variable (?? --- Does that make sense?). Does anything with Meniere's make good sense?

-John of Ohio

• Like Like x 3
  4. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    Reporting 3 weeks since I have started Valtrex and 2.5 months since JOH reg. and 1 mo on B5/B6. The real episodes stopped right after starting JOH. Instead came dizziness every morning for almost half of day. A specially bad was the 6th week since starting JOH treatment. After a few corrections and paying more attention to having enough sleep things get better. But on the first week on Valtrex I had three small episodes on a raw. After that I am having improvement! Thanks to this forum.
    There are many small things I need to pay attention. Such as: eating on schedule, be careful with head movement during exercising, and having yogurt or kefir as soon as I woke up. My current problem I need to work on is my allergy. In addition to the seasonal allergy (a specially on windy days) I've started having an allergic reaction to dry air in a bedroom in a form of rhinitis which brings mucous to a throat and later will effect ears. Never dull moment

5. honsohr

honsohr New Member

Sep 20, 2020
    Yes, makes sense, unfortunately :)
    Thanks for your detailed answer, John!

6. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    No.

7. Jesus

Jesus New Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Oviedo, Spain
    Back in the first message of the thread: "The B5 is an enhancer for B6 as high doses of B6 are not safe."
    I'm considering to take B6, but I'm still thinking about that, because I couldn't find evidence anywhere about B5 being an enhancer for B6, just only found interactions with biotin (B8). Where did you discover that?
    Thanks in advance.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    I haven't had an episode in about 5 years. I give credit to 3 g of valacyclovir every day for about three-four months. acyclovir just seemed to make things worse.

9. Jesus

Jesus New Member

Mar 31, 2021
    Oviedo, Spain
    Did you improve or just remain the same?

My question about B5, any thoughts?

10. Ash Larcinese

Ash Larcinese New Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Tennessee
    Hey everyone, I wanted to respond to this thread as I am new to the site and new to MD. I am a 36 year old female and had my first experience with MD last May 2020. What a year (am I right)! It all started with what I thought was my ear feeling fullness "clogged" from allergies (even though I have never been allergic to anything). But in TN, where I live, allergies here are always a nightmare for everyone, I just thought it was my time. I went to a walk in clinic and after their diagnosis of "pop your ears" and take allergy medicine, I assumed they were right. Later, I started experiencing vertigo. Never experienced vertigo in my life but after some reading, I realized that was what was going on. I proceeded to try multiple maneuvers and eventually I thought it went away. In July 2020, vertigo again, ear fullness again. I kept chalking the ear fullness up to allergies and the vertigo just as something new.

In Sept 2020, I finally went to an ENT because my ears were always feeling full with vertigo soon to follow. I was getting worried. The ENT immediately diagnosed me with Meniere's but I still ran the gamut of testing to prove that it was not something else. I was TEXT BOOK MD. By this time, it was Oct. 2020 and was having a hard time living my life, always in fear that I would get an attack. Like I said, I am 36 and was living a very full life of travel, lots of work, family, events, friends and more. This MD stuff was totally putting a damper on my life. I was becoming depressed deep down in being scared I was never going to feel good again. Every once in a while I would. be ok for a couple of days only to later have it come back, always with the fullness in the ear then turning into vertigo. It is truly a lonely disease. I was having drop attacks and the spinning was so bad at times, I was vomiting. Also made me fearful of driving anytime my ear felt full which was becoming often.

In Jan. 2021, my father (who is a saint!) found the JOH regime and I started taking the vitamins and supplements. (JOH - he sent you an email and didn't get a response but we were not even sure that you still had that address anymore. I am glad you are on these posts and forums. THANK YOU for all the work you have done in your discovery.) I also have had HSV-1 since I was 3 years old which is also not fun. Since JOH said that there is a correlation between HSV-1 and MD, I upped my lysine and valacylovir hoping it would help.
    During the month of Jan, I only had one really bad attack with was ear fullness, spinning vertigo and vomiting. It was about 4 hours long. When I first started the regime, I would get dizzy when taking the afternoon pills. For me, this did go away with time, I really felt it was working. I would have very small attacks here and there but nothing sever for over a month. At the end of Feb, when I slacked on my diet, I had a sever attack. I do admit, I didn't follow the diet for a dinner and had lots of food and wine. I paid my price all night with another 4 hour attack. Again, I was doing great for most of March 2021 and if there was an attack, it was very mild. I was super hopeful. Thus, I started taking my "one cheat meal" a week and it become 2 or 3 days of cheat meals. Well, here I am in the middle of April, still following the JOH regime and believe it still works. However, because of two weekends ago, I have been paying the price this past week and weekend. This weekend, my ear fullness turned into full blown vertigo with (2) - 2+ hour episodes of vomiting. It was and still is awful. I have ear fullness right now as I type this.

All that saying, I am adding the B5 and B6 to my regime tomorrow. Ordered all the stuff online this afternoon because I just want it to stop. I am sitting on pins and needles right now (but trying to relax at the same time to not make it worse by stressing) because I am nervous my current ear fullness is going to turn into full blown MD tonight again! I am going to start the B5 and B6 along with the continued JOH regime tomorrow and report back after I have tried it for some time. Like others, I am just looking for anything that will help. I don't want to get depressed but it is so hard when I am bound to couch for days.

Good luck to everyone out there. I read your stories and am grateful for this group and forums. It does help make this lonely disease not so lonely.

And if anyone has anything that can help stop the vertigo from occurring once the ear fullness happens, let me know as soon as able. Desperate for help for all of us.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    You might also add to your regimen a daily dose of 5000IU of vitamin D-3. This very strongly supports the immune system, helping it to suppress virus activity and replication.

Keep us posted on your progress. My best wishes.

--John of Ohio

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Ash Larcinese

Ash Larcinese New Member

Nov 23, 2020
    Tennessee

Thanks JOH. I should add that on top of your regime I take fish oil, zinc, a multivitamin, vitamin D3 (it says 125mcg 5000iu but I take 4 of them a day which maybe too much?).

13. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    JOH am I correct that with D3 one should take K2MK7?

14. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Vitamin D, for full, broad function, requires two co-factors. The first is magnesium, which is deficient in most modern diets. The second vitamin D co-factor is the MK7 form of vitamin K2.

But in regard to the support of the immune system (which, in Meniere's helps it suppress viral activities that in most cases are root causes of the disease), vitamin D-3 probably does not neccesarily require the K2. It helps the body partition or direct calcium, keeping it in bones and out of arteries.

But magnesium is central metallic ion required for the synthesis and operation of over 300 essential enzymes.

Taking the MK7 form of vitamin K2 may not directly help with Meniere's. But it's other good benefits should not be neglected.

This is the K2 I take:
    Vitacost Vitamin K2 (MK-7) with Nattokinase -- 100 mcg - 90 Softgels - Vitacost

My magnesium:
    Kal Magnesium Glycinate -- 400 mg - 90 Tablets - Vitacost

Vitamin D-3:
    Vitacost Vitamin D3 Mini Gels -- 5000 IU - 365 Softgels - Vitacost

--John of Ohio

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Yes, except as an initial loading dose, taking four 5000IU of vitamin D-3 each day is over-doing it. Take between 5000 and 7000 IU per day (averaged). So, take a 5000IU gel each day. But twice a week, say on Monday and Friday, take a second gel. Best, take the two gels at different times of the day, one in the morning, the other in the evening. More effective if spread out over the day.

That will get your serum vitamin D level toward the upper, good range of between 40 and 60 ng/ml. I've been on such a vitamin D regimen for over a decade, now, and have never had a cold or influenza.

--John of Ohio

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jonny_rotten

Jonny_rotten New Member

Dec 20, 2022
    Im starting this as of today, atm i am having 3 attacks a day most days…

pray for me

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Al DM

Al DM Member

Aug 29, 2022
    Just a note to say that I will be adding B6 to my JOH/Acyclovir stack after reading through this thread.

I already take one Berocca soluble fizzy tablet thing every morning. This is a high does complex B Vitamin thing, but only includes 8.3mg go B6. It does include 83mg of B5, so I think I am probably covered there, but am going to add a single 100mg tablet of B6 to my morning pills.

18. Tony Wilson

Tony Wilson Member

Apr 2, 2019
    That’s awful - praying for you. Most of us eventually find some reprieve but still face days/weeks of fullness and other crappy symptoms. Keep fighting and in the end we’ll be made anew in heaven

19. Jonny_rotten

Jonny_rotten New Member

Dec 20, 2022
    Thank you

20. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Do u take the lemon bioflavonoids