1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Does anyone else find that vertigo is often worse when either tilting head back or leaning front?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Apr 14, 2021.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Even during milder attacks, if I'm on a recliner - for instance - I can only lean back so far before vertigo (and dizziness for that matter) kicks in. Beyond that point, leaning back farther makes things even worse. And yet, once going to bed, I'm typically able to lay flat with no problems. Weird, really. Then, leaning front or even just tilting my head down towards the chin sets off the same problems. Why is this? Assuming those particular motions generate more fluid movement in the ear? I have to try and keep my head as straight as possible even when bending down. What a pain all this is....kind of like relearning how to walk. Often wondered, too, about getting some balance therapy. Has anyone gone down that road and noticed improvement?

2. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Have you looked into BPPV? About 10 years ago I used to get dizzy every time I shaved my face. I would lean my head back and whoosh the world would spin. Told my physical therapist when I was there on an unrelated issue. He put me through the Epley manuever - took about 5 minutes - and the feeling never returned.

Of course it didn't help my Menieres but it was a great relief at the time.

There are many sites expounding on the merits of vestibular rehab or balance therapy. I do 3 standard exercises nearly every day. (1) Head side to side and up and down while eyes are locked on to a spot on the wall (3 sets each to a count of 30 each time), (2) Stand on a balance beam or stacked pillows or anything that makes the floor uneven. You get your balance and then close your eyes for 30 seconds and try to maintain your balance. But be close to a pillar or wall to catch yourself if needed, and (3) I walk every day and carry a ball with me to throw from hand to hand while walking. Shift only your eyes to watch the ball go from hand to hand.

Good luck.

3. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Teesdale...thanks so much. I've never had the Epley done, but certainly would be worthwhile. As to therapy, I've often considered this and actually had a referral from my PCP for a few of the local organizations that offer vestibular / balance therapy. I didn't pursue it at the time cause around the SAME time I injured my back so therapy for that became a far more urgent issue, to be followed by more therapy for shoulder impingement. Now, however, with these newer vertigo-related symptoms, strongly considering renewing that referral - doubt that I have it anymore - and going for some therapy, especially since it's available close by. Glad you mentioned this, since it's surely worth discussing at my ENT appt. on Monday.

4. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk