1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Labyrinthectomy on Tuesday

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Ms. Robby Ivy, Apr 25, 2021.

1. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Hi everyone! I'm Robby and a newbie. Was diagnosed with Meniere's in 2017, had a shunt surgery in 2018 and another in 2020. I will be having a labyrinthectomy Tuesday and while my amazing doctor has gone over everything with me, I was wondering if anyone has had one recently and what was the experience like, My doctor says I will be in the hospital overnight for sure, but it may end up being 2-3 days. I am also bilateral. We are doing the right ear Tuesday, but the left is in bad shape as well. Yes, we have exhausted all alternatives prior to coming to this decision. I am so tired of the drop attacks, the vertigo and all that comes with it, I've worked since I was 16 years old and have been on disability for the past year and a half. I had to move from Atlanta to SC because I could know longer live alone. I meditate, see a therapist, and I am glad to have come across this group. It's difficult when you have those that don't understand. I am going to sign up for a sign language class to start getting the basics- something I should've done 2 years ago, but denial.... LOL! I just needed to vent for a second. Any advice will be appreciated! Thank you!

Be Grateful For What You HAVE Before It Becomes What You HAD!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Good luck Robby and keep us posted on your progress. There are several here who have undergone surgery. (Kevin, Redwing1951, Bulldogs, and more) They will comment shortly I am sure. Think cochlear implant rather than sign language, although it wouldn't hurt to know signing I guess.

Jim

3. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much! I will definitely keep everyone posted and can't wait to hear their experiences. Thank you for the advice:)

4. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Robby, my thoughts are with you. It's hard to believe it can get this bad we we all know how it feels when the vertigo hits... anything is better than that. Good luck !!!

5. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Robby one of the very best decisions in my life was to choose to have a laby. It truly gave me my life back. I battled the beast for over 12 years. I wish you the very best along with a speedy recovery so you can start living your life.

6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck! Let us know how you are doing!

7. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much!

8. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Thank you Thank you!

9. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Will do! Thank you so much!

10. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Robby, are you planning on having the surgery on the other ear in the future?

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Wishing you the best, Ms. Robby Ivy!

Which reminds me, a month or so ago I came across & fell in love with Sign Duo's YouTube channel.

Considering you're signing up for a sign language class, you may like it too.

12. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Good luck Robby! Thinking of you

13. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Dear Robby...we are and will continue to pray for you during and after surgery, for a successful recovery. We know the feeling, frustration, and anxiety that goes along with this condition. So many decisions but, if your doctor is certain the surgery is in your best interest, congratulations! My newest dr. has advised against my getting the surgery due to my age, 73. He thinks it's wise to wait until it gets really bad. Not my choice, as it seems to me, when it gets really bad, I'll be older than 73! So why not now, right? Please keep us informed as to your progress. Masks make it so difficult to communicate when you've trained yourself to read lips. So perhaps you'll find success with sign language. Best wishes and blessings...

14. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hello Robby
    Nice to meet you, sorry it has to be here but you will do just great.

now they can do a laby and give you a cochlear implant in the same operation. Kill two birds with one stone. Slay the menieres beast and get your hearing back.

thinking and praying for you
    Joe/ Bulldogs

15. Mustang1

Mustang1 Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Upstate NY
    Robby,
    I also had a shunt surgery in 2018 and then my laby in August 2019. The first few days were tough keeping my balance, but I kept going out for walks then onto some easy hiking trails to help my brain regain my balance function. Every day I saw improvements and knowing the vertigo is gone is a major relief. Now I'm hiking mountains, fishing, bowling and back to work 100%.
    Hoping for all the best
    Kevin

16. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    My doc isn't sure yet. We may be able to do an implant, but everytime I go back for a hearing test, it's declining.
    Thank you !

17. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Thank you! I will definitely look that up!

18. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Thank you so much Marta!!

19. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    Oh, I appreciate you so much! Thank you!

20. Ms. Robby Ivy

Ms. Robby Ivy New Member

Apr 24, 2021
    South Carolina
    So nice to meet you as well! Thank you! My doc is old school:) LOL! He is one thing at a time........