1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vacuum Cleaners and Blower

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JohnL999, Apr 25, 2021.

1. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    My cochlear hydrops started really bad last Aug/Sep. By the grace of God and the help of Dr. Gacek, I have had an almost 100% recovery from the horrible clogging, ringing and hissing tinnitus, echoing hyperacusis and occasionally light-headed, slightly dizzy feeling.

It took about 6 months of slow recovery once I started on acyclovir (and especially after I switched to valacylovir) to get to almost back where I was before all this started, with very mild hissing type tinnitus that is completely gone many days and very mild the other days. I also have the slightest hint of a tiny bit of fullness in my bad ear on some days. I can tell a difference between my left (bad) and right ear if I compare how a phone or headphones sounds in one vs the other, so I know there is hearing damage, but it doesn't really effect me at all as far as speech recognition and my good ear seems to compensate for any deficiency on the left. Hopefully over time my hearing may recover somewhat.

Anyway, the weirdest thing happens to me whenever I use the vacuum cleaner or the blower. I always put on noise canceling or construction level protection earmuffs on when i use the vacuum or blower, but I always have a slightly clogged ear after and sometimes it will make tinnitus slightly worse.

Any idea on why this happens? Is this an excuse for a maid and a lawn service lol?

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes it is. The ear is not 100%, it has been injured. Baby it. Do not expose it to noise. Give it a chance to fully heal over time.

3. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Glad to hear from you June. I've read your story several times and it seems similar to mine (except for what happened to your other ear originally). I always suspected an allergy component because I got my attacks always around late summer/early fall. I tested highly allergic to several things endemic to my area (including ragweed) so I started on immunotherapy about 3 months ago. I hope it helps as it did for you.

• Like Like x 1
  4. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I hope so too. I will say the allergy benefits were very gradual so be patient. Just keep looking at the long term trend.

5. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Multiple factors might be at play. Three immediate & possible factors which come to mind;

a) Are said earmuffs tightly fitting, creating a slight hermetic seal?

If so, b) do you apply pressure upon the earmuffs, which is to say squeeze the earmuffs towards your head either when applying them or on multiple occasions throughout the time period in which they're worn?

This combination of possible factors may induce a rapid, or many rapid though short lived pressure changes that aggravate your symptoms. Similar to the increase of symptom severity many experience due to barometric pressure change, or low/high pressure systems.

If the answer to both a & b is nope & nah, you may simply be severely allergic to mundane chores.

c) You may have already done this, however if not it may also be worth checking the filters of your vacuum cleaner, as they may have developed mould which is blown throughout your home when you use the vacuum cleaner. Likewise, using the blower outdoors may pick up allergens that would, or might be otherwise settled & less airborne.