1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New forum member with unconfirmed Meniers

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TexOkie, May 7, 2021.

1. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I just found menieres.org and signed up.

In 1995, while riding in a car, my hearing in my left ear blinked out for about 10 minutes and then came back. When it blinked out, I became nauseous and extremely dizzy. About an hour later my hearing went our again, never to return. I went to an ENT and he did the hearing test and sent me for an MRI. The hearing test revealed that I had lost 60% of my hearing in the left ear only, but 100% of my comprehension in that ear. My right ear has been completely unaffected. The MRI revealed only that I do have a brain, but no abnormalities. I was told that a hearing aid would not help me, it would simply amplify the unrecognizable noises that I do hear. In addition to the hearing loss, I now have the exquisite experience of tinnitus 24/7. It never stops. I notice it sometimes more than others. Extreme sound conditions cause it to get worse. When it’s so quiet you could hear the proverbial pin drop and loud sound like a car race, sports event or rock concert both make the tinnitus so bad I can barely stand it. Needless to say I have not been in many of those situations since.

My general health is poor. I suffer from atherosclerosis, keratoconus, high blood pressure, angina, vestibular migraines, neuropathy and a host of other issues. My doctors have attempted to discover the reasons for my poor balance issues, and in the last 60 days I have fallen twice and ended up in the ER with concussions, but thankfully no hematomas. The doctors have uncovered a lot of issues I was not aware of, but nothing to explain the sudden loss of balance. I’ve asked them if it could be Menieres, but none of them were willing to say that’s what it is until recently.

Yesterday on a video call with my Neurologist, I asked again what could be causing me to fall. His answer was, “Your neuropathy coupled with the Menieres and your vestibular issue are probsbly causing it.” What? Had I actually heard a doctor admit a diagnosis of Menieres?

So, I am again searching out what my options are.

I have found that for hearing, I can get a BICROS hearing aid, if I’m willing to shell out $4-5,000. The jury is still out on that.

I have taken up walking with a cane, and it’s saved me twice that I know of.

When I have a bout of dizziness, I sit down or lay down until well after it passes. I’ve found that pushing on only makes me nauseous or worse, end up on the ground.

I’ve eliminated all caffeine and as much sodium as possible. In fact I’m on the HMR Weight Loss program and it seems to have had no affect. My blood sodium level on a fasting test was at 320mg, which is the minimum on the acceptable range.

Finally, I have found this forum. I’m not expecting any miracle cures, but at least I already feel better just talking about it.

I’m a 69 year old male and am married with one daughter and two grandchildren. I still work full time, but hope to change that soon.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. solari

solari MM.org Janitor Staff Member

Admin Post
    It's pretty wild you do have a doctor who brought up Meniere's so you are in good hands.

I hope you find the help and company you seek here.

All the best,
    Ray

• Like Like x 1
  3. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I too hope that you find your answers. As you mention migraines have you considered Migraine associated vertigo as a diagnosis which can cause hearing loss as well as the dizziness, vomiting and balance problems.

4. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I had not considered that diagnosis. I don’t have a vomiting problem, so would it still apply? My symptoms associated with my ear are dizziness, loss of balance, nausea, loss of hearing, tinnitus, and photophobia.

5. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I don't contribute on this forum very much. I have been well for 15 years but occasionally I chime in but I feel like i sound like a broken record about MAV. We can only relate our own story can't we. I was diagnosed with menieres but it was MAV. You might want to buy a book called Heal Your Headache by David Buccholz. It helped me and recently I was delighted to hear it helped another forum member. You only have about $20 to lose if it doesn't help but possibly a lot to gain as I did. I would concentrate in particular on his thoughts about food, drink and other triggers. Wishing you well.

6. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I have also been diagnosed with both Menieres and MAV. My left ear went from perfect hearing to total loss in a year. The tinnitus is constant with varying intensity. My neur/oto started treating me for vestibular migraines almost 2 years ago any my vertigo attacks went away with a daily dose, 25 mg of Topiramate. The book jaypr recommends is worth your time. I think it was $9 to my kindle. I researcched the Bicross and decided against it. This year i do plan to get a single HA for my remaining ear and a remote microphone to help fill in for the loss on the left side. BOL to you.

7. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I too have been left with hearing loss. It's in my left ear. I recently read (definitely didn't hear it) that hearing loss can possibly be a cause of dementia. So intend to purchase one or two hearing aids

8. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    This really sounds like you had SSNHL but I’m no doctor.