1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

This is why I am sure this disease is not diet related

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yellowboy, May 12, 2021.

1. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Last week I had throat surgery and I was on a total liquid diet for 4 days after surgery. That diet included alcohol but I addressed that on another thread. I did have some low salt broth, but other that that all liquids like water, apple juice, and grape juice. There was absolutely no change in tinnitus, fullness, or distortion. EAT AND DRINK TO YOUR HEARTS CONTENT, we don't have much else in life to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    It could be different for different people. In my case, which I feel is virus related, i can eat foods such as nuts etc (high arginine) in moderation but if I get too many on a continued basis and then run into a stressful period on top of that, I can have a real setback and have to smarten up all over again.

3. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    As a MD sufferer who also has been diagnosed and am being treated for MAV, I can attest that diet can help control symptoms and does in fact do that for me.

4. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I agree that this is true for some. It's true for me. In all the decades I've had this this, have never noticed any relation with anything I ingest. Various dietary adjustments have made no difference. However, this is not the case for everyone. It's an individual thing.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    I would submit for consideration that yes, probably for some people diet has little impact. However, nobody knows the cause of MD but most of the leading theories have some relation to the immune system. Autoimmune disease? Check. Allergies? Check. Viral infection? Check. Stress? Check.

So anything that impairs the healthy functioning of the immune system, in my opinion, can lead to where we are now. Excessive salt, excess sugar, etc. all impair the immune system. Eating food you are allergic to has your immune system running in circles. Stress, hormones, vitamin deficiencies, etc. all lead to the same result.

Yellowboy, in your case you found no difference with the strict Spartan diet you were on. But at the same time you were recovering from surgery which is a major stress on your body and that would be lowering your immunity. Not to mention that inflammation (if MD is the result of that in the vestibular apparatus) often takes a lot more than four days to calm down.

If someone said, hey, I was at a wellness retreat in Bali for two weeks with no stress, fresh air, healthy food, etc and still experienced the same symptoms then that's a different story but I'm not sure to say that four days with your body under post-surgical stress may not give an accurate picture.

Trust me, I would love to head off to the local all-you-can-eat Chinese buffet but I don't see that in my future....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    I’ve tried it all different ways and for me food has never made a difference as of yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I will agree on the stress issue. When my friend was taking me to the hospital for the surgery, my tinnitus was through the roof. I even thought to myself that if I was driving I would just speed up and ram into an abutment and end all this bullshit - and no need for surgery. At least I am enjoying some good food now.

8. Bobby Smith

Bobby Smith New Member

Apr 1, 2021
    Years ago I went through a weird time. I was dizzy 24/7 for 2 months. I would get the bad vertigo if I moved around too fast. I stayed away from salt and caffeine. Just walking was weird. I broke up my foodplot for deer hunting with a tractor and would have to stop to vomit every once in a while. Lol. But this went on for 2 months and then it finally started easing up enough where I could go back to work. Now I'm back off work having vertigo spells 3 or more times a week. And I have had several spells early in the morning, so I feel like the low salt low caffeine doesn't help me, but I could be wrong.

9. TinaG

TinaG New Member

May 10, 2020
    New Zealand
    After a vertigo free year (antivirals and diet) I had a bit of a blow-out over the Easter break with the kids, I was feeling great, we had friends stay, they brought chocolate and CHEESE (I hadden had cheese in the last year!), I'd been sugar, dairy, caffeine and gluten free where possible. I ate cheese, even blue cheese, chocolate and coffee at breakfast!!! A few days after my tinnitus spiked and earfullness returned after a year of none. It scared the crap out of me as I thought an attack would be next! I immediately cleared up my diet and the MD symptoms subsided after a few weeks - phew

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Salt will rev up the run of the mill tinnitus for me but didn’t seem to be the cause of the horrible distortion, roaring tinnitus and hypercusis I had with CH. Caffeine did make it worse. I never knew about the nut connection at that time so I never tested that out. I don’t drink much alcohol but never noticed that the little I did occasionally made any difference except that it didn’t help my balance any.

11. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    As soon as one concedes stress to be a trigger, they unavoidably & simultaneously concede poor nutrition to be a trigger also—that what you do or do not eat & drink matters; as poor nutrition causes physiological stress which subsequently enters division by manifesting psychologically.

Poor nutrition can cause tiredness, reduce work capacity, decrease concentration, cause mood swings, depression, erode overall health & wellbeing, & over time, increases the risk of developing illnesses & other health concerns: which in turn cause additional psychological & physiological stress.

12. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    I agree with what you say, but at the same time it is obvious that Meniere is not cured by following a perfectly healthy and nutritious diet. Maybe it helps, I think it helps me, but this month I had two vertigo attacks, today I have tinnitus through the roof, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My opinion/understanding is there is no cure for menieres. One can however try their best to control the beast. You can choose to live a clean diet, take antiviral medication, use JOH method, exercise, meditate, surgery etc. and maybe find relief maybe not. You will still have menieres. There is no cure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nathan

Nathan Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    True that, hence the distinction found separating "tigger" from "cause".

See Dr. William B. Young's article Trigger is Not Cause for further explanation.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I’ve been on the HMR Weight Loss Diet administered through Hillcrest Hospital here in Tulsa. I have eliminated caffeine from my diet, my sodium intake is extremely low. In fact my last blood panel indicated a 38 sodium level. I’ve had no sugar, salt, caffeine, chocolate since January 23rd. My stress level is lower than it has been since I was 18.

Yet the dizzy spells continue and today I had one of the worst ones I’ve ever had. If it had been a workday I would have taken off. I thought some years ago that certain frequencies of light set it off with daylight fluorescent lights being the worse. Yet today I’ve been home all day, except for a trip to the cemetery. So light doesn’t seem to be the trigger. What has changed was my sleep pattern. I usually go to bed at 8:30 and arise at 5:00. Last night I went to bed at 11:30 and arose at 7:00. I’ve noticed lately that a change in sleep seems to precede an attack. But, I don’t get how sleep has anything to do with an ear issue!

16. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    I believe that trigger threshold control is the key. The difficult part is working out one's triggers. It is the different triggers such as ingested, olfactory, stress, sleep deprivation, barometic pressure, light sensitivity and others that can all play a part. Keeping a diary does help. Exceeding your own individual accumulated trigger threshold is when we struggle. Those triggers could be any combination of the above. I believe the secret to a degree of control over menieres or mav is by trial and error for ourselves because everyone is different.

For example if my trigger threshold is 100 and sensitivity to light is 80 food triggers say 20 and sleep deprivation say 10 I would be over my threshold and would struggle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I’ve been thinking lately that not only type and quantity of light is a trigger, but also barometric pressure. Other things may factor in as well. A journal is a good idea. I’ll need to start one.

18. Justme77

Justme77 New Member

Feb 8, 2020
    My big time triggers are pickles (probably the high sodium) and dark chocolate.

19. Ahmad Sadek

Ahmad Sadek New Member

Oct 12, 2020
    Hi Yellowboy....diet also has zero effect on me as i eat and drink almost every thing with no effect on my vertigo and ear fullness

20. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    I was in denial about dietary triggers for years while i explored all the OTC options like JOH, antivirals and the usual ENT pharma. My OtoNeuro was running tests on me in prep for a laby when he discovered my hidden migraine activity which only manifested in vertigo. So yes, you can have MAV with Menires as i have both. Diet can play a huge role in triggering undesireable migraine activity. Read Buchholz’s “Heal Your Headache” if you want to read some facts on this matter. It changed my life as i have not had vertigo attacks for a year and a half.