1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Peripheral neuropathy complicating Meniere's balance issues

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by rondrums51, Jun 4, 2021.

1. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    Hi, all. Just wondering if any of you have peripheral neuropathy and if you have found any treatments that actually help.
    After 18 years of Meniere's (and I went bilateral in 2013), I have finally lost my balance to the point where I have to use a walker. I can't even stand up for more than a minute without feeling like I'm going to fall. I've been doing vestibular rehab exercises, but progress is extremely slow.
    The problem is exacerbated by peripheral neuropathy (numbness) in my feet which, as you all know, are 1/3 of your balance system. I'm seeing a neurologist next week, but I suspect he'll just want to write me a scrip for some drug that I can't tolerate (Most prescription drugs kick up my dizzy spells).
    Does anyone know of alternative treatments for neuropathy? I have been taking Allithiamine (fat soluble B1) and magnesium for a good while. They supposedly improve nerve conduction, but they haven't helped much.
    Anybody had any results with alternative treatments? I've heard about magnetic pulse and UV light therapy, but I haven't seen any clinical studies.
    Sorry for the long post. Thanks, and bless all.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. Leslie F.

Leslie F. New Member

Feb 10, 2016
    Prosperity, PA
    I wanted to mention that I developed peripheral neuropathy when I was on the diuretic Triamterene. I found an article from a medical journal that linked the use of diuretics like Triamterene with peripheral neuropathy. When I stopped the diuretic my neuropathy went away. I believe I had also read that a lack of B vitamins was a contributing factor, so I started taking a daily B-complex. That was about 4 years ago and the neuropathy has not returned.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hi Leslie, I used to live in little Washington til recently. So glad you found the source of your problem.

4. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I have peripheral neuropathy and underwent the injection and electro stimulus procedures. I had 30 treatments and I can’t tell that it did anything other than make my wallet lighter.

My neuropathy is idiopathic. I’m not diabetic and I don’t take any drugs that are thought to cause it. I do have spinal stenosis and degenerative discs, but they haven’t said the two were linked.

Along with the ear issue, it makes balance a bit tricky. I’m on a cane when I have symptoms, or will be walking long stretches. I’ve fallen three times since March, the second fall put me on a cane. The latest fall was working in the garden. I tried to step back and couldn’t get my foot to move to where I needed it. Needless to say, I was not using the cane at the time.

5. rondrums51

rondrums51 Diagnosed 2004, went bilateral 2013

May 12, 2014
    Southwest Florida coast
    Thanks, I'll read up on that. I was on Triamterene for over 15 years. Maybe that's a factor. However, I discontinued it six months ago due to low blood pressure, and the neuropathy hasn't improved. Maybe it did permanent damage?
    I'm sick and tired of drugs. For everything that they treat, you pay some kind of price in side effects or damage.

6. Star

Star New Member

Jun 9, 2021
    I'm sorry to hear this. So true about the drugs. The price you pay...Good luck!