1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

New Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TessJane13, Jun 8, 2021.

1. TessJane13

TessJane13 New Member

Jun 8, 2021
    I'll start by just saying hello, and I guess I'll dive in from there.

I was on vacation in my home state of New Hampshire when I first felt the dizziness and vertigo come on hard. I had been feeling it on and off for a few weeks, thinking it was just due to stress.

I was returning from the beach one beautiful afternoon and was about to order out, when I realized I was going to vomit. And I did so 9 times in the next several hours. We thought it was food poisoning, the stomach flu, but a few days later things weren't getting better. At the Urgent care I was diagnosed with Labyrinthitis. But things got worse again, and I ended up in the ER. They hospitalized me for a short time, then sent me home and told me to see an ENT.

I saw the ENT four days ago and he said he believes I have Meniere's Disease.

I have been able to stay in New Hampshire while I convalesce and wait for the vertigo to subside so I can drive back to my work/living state of Connecticut. I've been out of work for about 2 1/2 weeks, including the week I should have taken for vacation time.

I am doing everything I can; reducing sodium to about 1000mg-1500mg a day. Exercising, meditating, cutting caffeine and alcohol, taking the steroids, tracking every possible symptom. The vertigo has subsided a bit which I am tremendously grateful for.

So, that is where we are at. And I am aware this is all pretty primitive since I haven't had my hearing test. Because of COVID, the soonest test I could get in was July 14, although I'm on the waitlist for other ENTs hoping to get it down as soon as possible.

I have an incredibly demanding, stressful work environment, working in the audio industry as a radio producer. So the prospect of losing my hearing, all while having to navigate possibly going back to work in that environment that would likely only exacerbate this disease. And because the disease is in so many ways invisible, I often feel like my employer is suspicious of my condition.

I have come here for some love and support. I need more empathy than strategy right now, but if you have helpful advice feel free to share. I am a bit raw, overwhelmed. What I need most is compassion and understanding and reassurance that this is not all in my head.

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Sorry you are here, but welcome nonetheless. As a musician, I get your concerns regarding hearing loss associated with MD. I also know that this condition doesn’t have to define you. Hang in and try to be positive before you have a definite diagnosis. I would suggest an otolaryngologist or neurologist as opposed to an ENT as they are better equipped in diagnosing and prescribing for this condition. Also, this is a great site for research into MD so I would encourage you to look around. More then that, everyone here is very supportive so don’t hesitate to ask questions! I wish you the best of luck and do keep us posted.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    I am sorry to hear that you may have Meniere’s, and I’m sorry the symptoms are hitting you so hard.

Im not in the music industry, but as a customer service coordinator, I live on the phone talking to my customers and my service providers. Since I am only single sided deaf, it hasn’t impacted my work, and fortunately I’m semi retired. But the other ear has had a couple of bouts with pain and tinnitus, so I’m wondering if I might end up totally deaf.

I am looking into cochlear implants, so if the other ear goes, I might have my bad ear working well enough to fall back on it.

I understand about your employer. I was fortunate enough to work for a company that is empathetic to my plight. They have been great to work through this, especially when the balance issue hit. I fell in the office and cracked my head on the wall once and they drove me to the ER and paid me while I was off recovering. They also allow me to work an abbreviated schedule and still have full pay while we work this out. I only work two days a week, and take the on call, which amounts to another 15 or so and they pay me for the full forty. So while I am semi retired I’m drawing full pay until we get the mechanics of this arrangement worked out.

I wish you were working somewhere as understanding as my employer is.

Good luck on your hearing test and hopefully there will be an opening sooner than what you have scheduled. This is a great group you have found. They are empath, supporting and a wealth of knowledge.

4. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah
    I was about to board a plane and read your comments. Wow…I only wish I had a rapid cure. On the other hand…I’m hoping ( if for sure Meniere’s) that yours is only in one ear vs bilateral. I unfortunately have bilateral.
    Everyone’s case is different but I can tell you my Vertigo slowed down to
    Once a quarter and only lasts 2 days.
    I started hearing aids …no brainer for bilateral.
    Stress is the big culprit for my vertigo and you are probably pretty stressed. my point …you can manage after you get settled.
    I need to get on my plane …you
    Will figure this out

5. TessJane13

TessJane13 New Member

Jun 8, 2021
    I hope you had a good flight Bryan. Hoping to figure it out soon.

6. TessJane13

TessJane13 New Member

Jun 8, 2021
    I'll see what I can find for an otolaryngologist or neurologist. One of my biggest goals is to not let it define me. Trying to stay challenged and try something new everyday. Today I did acupuncture and was shocked to find how much better I felt. Thanks for the kind words, Kevin!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TessJane13

TessJane13 New Member

Jun 8, 2021
    Hi Eric - HR/employer is great! More worried about what my boss and coworkers are thinking if that makes sense...but I have to keep reminding myself that this is just about my health. Not others opinions. Thanks for your kind words!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1