1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Question about intratympanic steroid injection

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by California Sun, Jun 7, 2021.

1. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Has anyone had this? How bad is it to go through? It sounds very scary. What kind of results did you have? Thanks for any input.

2. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Steroid injection is 100% safe, painless, and without side effects. The problem is that it has a moderate success rate. However, since it has no side effects, I would try it before other things, and as long as you have ruled out that the SERC, antivirals and JOH does not work.

Gentamicin injection does have a higher success rate in stopping dizziness and vertigo by 80-90%, but it also produces hearing loss as a side effect.

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    I had three steroid injections, one a week for three weeks. I wouldn't exactly say it was painless, but the eardrum was numbed before the injection. I thought the numbing part was quite painful. Something resembling a cigarette filter was held against my eardrum and it caused a burning sensation.

At the time, I had gone bilateral, but hearing loss was the first symptom. I had not had vertigo from that ear, yet. I had the injections to try and restore hearing. Not only did I not get any hearing back, I had vertigo shortly after the last injection. Could have been coincidence, but I'm suspicious.

The doctor used the same hole in my eardrum for all three injections because it never healed from one week to the next. Several years later, the hole is still there, having never healed. It causes quite a racket when I blow my nose.

You also have to lie on your side for up to 30 minutes after the injection and try not to swallow during that time.

I also have to disagree with IvanNew on the injections being 100% safe and without side effects. Having read several articles after I had my injections (instead of before, like a smart person would do) I learned that the injections can cause pain during the injection, lingering pain, increased tinnitus, post injection vertigo, tongue numbness and increased hearing loss. Those are the ones I can remember.

Dexamethasone injections were a total waste of my time and money. Others have had better experiences.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. SurferGirl

SurferGirl Member

Nov 7, 2020
    Like this horrible disease, everyone has a different experience. I have had a series of steroid injections twice. Doctor #1: The first series was 3 injections, 2 weeks apart. Doctor #2: The 2nd series was 2 injections, 3 weeks apart....waiting to have the 3rd injection for when vertigo gets really bad, as per doctor's suggestion. The numbing agent (drops) is uncomfortable for a bit but not unbearable and only lasts a second. The injections were, for the most part, painless when injected properly...only had one that did "smart" with Dr. #2, enough for an outburst. The injection: the full feeling is also a bit uncomfortable like water in your ear; I had a metal taste, and yes, my tongue is now just slightly numb at the tip. Dr. #1 had be lay quietly on my good side for 30 minutes. Dr #2 only required 10 minutes but I opted for at least 15. I did have vertigo immediately following all the injections, rested for the day. I was taking betahistine for a year, stopped (as per Dr #2), and really can't see any difference. Overall, I still have vertigo daily, just different degrees. I had 70% hearing loss and tinnitus prior to the injections, which hasn't changed. For the most part, I can function well, will drive on the good days, but know my limits. Do try the steroid injections. Baby steps. You will do fine. It sounds worse than it is. Daily vertigo is awful. I pray to wake up just one day and feel GREAT! Instead I wake up wondering what kind of day it will be~~~varies throughout the day. This also depends on the weather as my vertigo seems to kick up a notch or more with the barometric pressure. Best wishes

5. bubblesdad

bubblesdad New Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I talked to two neurotologists about my frequent MD attacks. Both had excellent reputations as surgeons. The younger said he had had better results with the shunt surgery. The older, more experienced surgeon reported better luck with low-dose gentamicin injections. I went with the less invasive injection. It was somewhat painful but not too bad. It stopped my attacks cold and had no effect on my hearing, which was very bad in that ear anyway. Every year or so the effect wears off and I get a repeat. My eardrum seems to heal ok each time. It takes a few weeks after each injection before the attacks stop. Maybe I was lucky or maybe the surgeon’s experience helped me. The man had been to an excellent school (which is always important to me) and told me he has averaged one of these procedures per day for many years. My guess is that I was just lucky.

6. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
  7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    Thank you to those who responded.