1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Finally an appointment with an ENT

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by TexOkie, Jun 9, 2021.

1. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    After hunting for an ENT that does cochlear implants and being told they can’t see me without a referral, then waiting for my PCP to stop asking questions and just send the referral I get a call from a different ENT to make an appointment. I asked if they do cochlear implants and she tells me that they do implant Baha devices. My understanding is that this is a bone conduction device. I don’t see how that’s going to help me if my inner ear is messed up.

I took the appointment thinking they can refer me on when this doesn’t work.

Disappointed and encouraged all at the same time.

2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Never say NO to appointment. ;) During my last one the doctor asked me if I wanted to be finally discharged or stay on their books. I obviously chose the latter one. You never know…
    Good luck!

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    BAHA is completely different than CI.

BAHA is an implant in the skull that sends sound from one side to the other. The receiving side has to have a good ear. It is similar to a CROS hearing aid for unilaterally deaf people such as myself.

Cochlear Implant, as you know, replaces the damaged cochlea (but your hearing nerve still has to be good.) in a deaf or nearly deaf ear.

I suppose you could say that they are both ‘implanted’ but that is where the similarity ends. I don’t think the person who gave you that response knows much.

4. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    Once I got in to see the ENT, they confirmed that they don’t do CIs and that the Baha was for bone conduction and might not work for me. They referred me to another ENT that does CIs.

5. Onedayatatime

Onedayatatime Active Member

Nov 22, 2016
    Not sure about ENT’s doing CI. Only when i found my neuro/ oto Dr. did we seriously start discussing surgical options which at the time was looking like a laby and CI. He also diagnosed my MAV and prescribed treatment which eliminated my vertigo. Been in a holding pattern for the past two years as all i have remaining is some mild dizzy from time to time, total hearing loss, tinnitus and occasional pressure in my MD affected ear.

6. TexOkie

TexOkie Member

May 7, 2021
    Tulsa, OK
    The second ENT does do Cochlear Implants. I saw the PA for a evaluation since I was a new patient. I’m scheduled for a visit with the audiologist on July 23 for testing.

The PA didn’t seem encouraging. She said I would have to put in a lot of work in therapy to teach my ear to interpret the new signals as recognizably sounds and speech. She said that a lot of people just won’t put in the work and therefore give up. Kids are different, they learn quickly.

7. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Truth. I have been activated for more than a year and it is very challenging to put in the work when your “good ear” is hearing well. So worth the effort, though. Good luck and keep us posted!