1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anyone Found something new to give back a little of hearing loss

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Bryan Goins, Jun 30, 2021.

1. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah
    Any new ideas on recovering any hearing loss?

Im like many of you...diagnosed with Menieres 4 years back after a sudden loss of hearing , tinnitus and a lot of ear fullness...the Vertigo hit me about 6 months later.
    I am struggling ....recently because my hearing took another drop ...the result is that i can barely hear anyone with my hearing aids. The sound has become more muffled. Two months ago I could take them off and understand my wife if she sat next to me. My point...the hearing aids haven't gotten worse but my hearing has. My ENT said that what I have now is better than cochlear so ...sit back.

Anyone been in my position and found anything that help give back maybe 10-20% of hearing loss?

2. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Strangely enough the low salt diet upped my low frequency low 15db

3. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah
    Thanks Brian: Interesting...curious how long you were on the LSD before you gained some hearing back?
    Ive never committed...

4. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    It seems very strange that your ENT would say that the aids are better than a CI. At best, that is an apples to oranges comparison. All hearing aids do is amplify sound while a cochlear implant converts the sound it receives to a digital signal that directly stimulates the auditory nerve. Light years apart. I have both and have received benefit from both, but apologies in advance, my bs detector goes off when I hear something like that. Hearing aids are of limited or no benefit if you are profoundly deaf in either or both ears. Sounds more like the ENT’s practice doesn’t deal in CIs so rather than lose a patient, they propagate nonsense. Again, apologies if you are happy with this practitioner…it’s only my opinion.

Best of luck!
    Kevin

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah
    Kevin....no, thank you for the feedback. That is good news.
    Thanks
    Bryan

• Like Like x 1
  6. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    antivirals and allergy treatment helped me the antivirals helped a lot with distortion and tinnitus, the allergy shots seemed to give back a lot of hearing in the low registers. The loss in the very high range I did not get back and most people do not my dr told me.

7. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah

8. Bryan Goins

Bryan Goins New Member

Mar 26, 2020
    Utah
    Thanks June
    Curious on antiviral meds. Would you educate me on what med helped?
    My doctors seem not to support anything so I need to hold their hand with something specific
    Thanks
    Bryan

9. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    2 weeks. I couldn’t tell I got hearing back but that’s what the audiograms showed.

10. Jimii

Jimii Member

Apr 10, 2019
    I have never understood why anyone with Meniere's would ever get a hearing aid.
    Isn't it a little like speaking to someone who speaks a different language, then when they can't understand you, you just speak louder?
    I am certain a hearing aid for me would be completely worthless.

My hearing in my bad ear is always changing. And never for the better. I certainly don't want to amplify any sound that does make it through.

Jim

11. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Mine goes up and down but ... it seems the anti-virals may have had an impact. I was doing really bad before I started them and since then have been better. Not much in symptoms except on "bad days" where I feel a bit off. Beforehand things were going downhill really quick. That said, as I always state on such posts, it's nothing you can really prove but whatever works, keep doing it.

12. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I took generic acyclovir and famvir (in succession not together). These helped the distortion a great deal and in my opinion, stopped the progression of the disease. A lot of my improvement in hearing per se seemed to come from the allergy treatment over several years. This they tell me takes a load off the immune system. My original neurotologist who is a very well qualified doctor did not prescribe these things. When he gave up unable to help me, my family dr prescribed the acyclovir based on something i had read here because she did not think it was dangerous and thought it was worth a try. When I did get significant but incomplete improvement I went to Dr Derebery at House Ear Clinic in LA who took me the rest of the way. Knock on wood, my hearing has been in normal range for more than ten years and the disease seems to have been arrested. It was a fairly long but worthwhile journey. Dr Derebery is both an otologist and allergist. Most ent’s will have heard of the House ear clinic. Most ent’s are oriented towards surgery by their training. This is true even at House but Dr Derebery seemed to take a bigger picture approach. The antivirals have to be taken in pretty hefty doses. I think her rule of thumb back then was take them for a month, if there is ‘any’ improvement, continue. I am sure her experience with these approaches has grown since that time. Doesn’t work for everyone, did work for me. Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1
  13. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    What are the side effects of the antiviral meds?

14. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Just a personal observation here. I've been taking 1 gram of valacyclovir 3 times a day since March of 2019 with no side effects. Maybe I could cut down but don't want to take a chance and go back to where I was.

15. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I never had any side effects but if you have any liver or kidney issues they might not be for you.

16. Mustang89

Mustang89 Member

Sep 20, 2014
    You might try an Upper Cervical Chiropractor

• Fistbump/thanks Fistbump/thanks x 1