1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

CI Regrets??

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by No thanks, Apr 6, 2021.

1. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    I just visited the forum you posted about. There were many posts describing positive experiences. Makes me want to consider it... we'll see.

2. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    I talked to a close friend who is SSD because of an acoustic neuroma. He decided against a CI. Main reasons include that he’s active and athletic, going through the surgery and risks, having to relearn how to hear, and the strongest reason is that he’s learned how to live with SSD. F try on reading lips to using acoustics in big gatherings to listen. In my case, I have enough residual hearing left right now; while useless for speech recognition the question for me is that a CI cannot make things worse post implant. I’m not sure that is possible. I’ll be getting more information about the procedure and will share.

3. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    No, it is not worse post implant. Ultimately, you can decide not to wear the processor and you are right where you are now. Or, you can wear it and train, and learn to hear again out of a deaf ear. Pretty easy choice for me.

4. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017
    If David has residual hearing in the ear to be implanted, will he still have that hearing available once implanted? (If he chooses not to wear the processor?)

5. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I don’t think so, but I’m also not an expert. Stuffing the electrodes into the cochlea is pretty invasive to that anatomy so I can’t imagine any residual hearing would remain. My opinion only. I was completely deaf in my implanted ear.

6. Todd

Todd New Member

Nov 16, 2020
    I’m a unilateral CI recipient and it does help with sound location. That definitely makes me feel safer when I’m out and about.

I don’t know that it helps with noisy group settings. My CI has a lot of echo and rattle in the sound which is actually tougher in noisy settings.

7. david2salsero

david2salsero Member

Oct 28, 2017
    San Jose
    My OTO tells me that post operation my residual hearing will drop 20db. That’s typical, sometimes more but not less. The electrode foes into the cochlea and likely impacts the tiny hair cells enough to cause this. So again, it depends where you are at now. If your speech recognition percentage is below 20% then it will get worse. But it’s already bad in my case.

8. No thanks

No thanks Member

Jul 27, 2017

Thank you for posting your experience.