1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Symptoms Totally change 3 weeks in on Acyclovir

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JohnL999, Nov 5, 2020.

1. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Last night marked 21 days of Acyclovir. Thought I would share my experiences to see what others have gone through this think:

Day 1 - the first day after I took the first pill was horrible with a low ringing all day and pressure.

Day 2 - 6: Almost back to normal, felt great!

Day 7 - 17: Not too good, daily (sometimes multiple times a day) would have buildups of roaring tinnitus and sometimes pressure in my bad ear. Then it would 'crescendo' and start ringing in a loud electronic sounding tone for 30 minutes up to several hours before finally tapering off and starting all over again. On the worst days I had up to 4 of these episodes in a single day.

Day 18 - NOW - have not had a single one of these ringing attacks in 3 days now. Now there is a very low hum in my left ear that sometimes can only be heard if I hold my hand over the ear or put my head against my pillow. Sometimes it fades almost completely away, sometimes it gets a little bit louder. My old hissing tinnitus that I had for years is completely gone. The first day of these new symptoms my ear got a little stuffy, but besides that there has been virtually no fullness/pressure. However, on the first day, I had the worst bout of dizziness/lightheadedness ever. I felt like I was close to true vertigo. Thankfully it passed after about an hour. I got lightheaded again yesterday, but not as bad as Monday. These episodes have been very rare for me and almost absent the whole time Ive been on the Acyclovir until just this week

Also I developed a huge fever blister in my mouth about a week ago. I can't remember having a fever blister in a very long time. They were very common for me as a kid but rare as an adult.

It feels like the antivirals are definitely doing SOMETHING as the symptoms are changing so much. Does it sound like I'm finally rounding the corner? I sure do hope so.

2. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    Im a patient of menier for 5 years and my doctorENT never prescribe that for me

3. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    I have tinitus in one side now in the other, one side my hearing is so bad. Im really worry about. Im just 49 now and im afraid to be completely deaf

4. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    I’m on Day 7 of famciclovir now and have maybe been experiencing something similar. I’ve had short hearing dropouts unlike any I’ve had before since starting, and the other morning I woke up with multiple new tinnitus tones that are quiet but haven’t gone away. What’s odd is that the tinnitus is in both ears, not just my bad.

I’m telling myself that the odd bombardment of new symptoms is a sign of the antiviral working—topped with the fact that my fullness did disappear yesterday and *so far* hasn’t returned.

May I ask, John: The low-hum tinnitus you mention having developed while on the AV… is that still with you today?

5. DownUnderSpin

DownUnderSpin New Member

Jul 28, 2021
    Wish my time was like that. Was prescribed aciclovir 3 x 800 a day, and after 4 days, I was so spaced out I didn't know where I was. The nausea was also horrible so I stopped taking it and got back to 'normal' after about 4 days. Not sure if that is the normal progress when taking the antivirals, or if that is classed as a not good reaction to it.....sigh

Oh, I am an old poster who used to post way back in 2007 - 2009, but stopped as I got much better and basically back to normal. This last 12 months symptoms have come back for the worse....

6. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    You stopped after about 4 days? Isn't it presumed that it usually takes 2-3 weeks to start seeing improvement, and a worsening of symptoms is expected (and a sign that it is working) early on?

7. DownUnderSpin

DownUnderSpin New Member

Jul 28, 2021
    No idea?? The symptoms were horrible. Spaced out and constant nausea. Looking into aciclovir reactions showed that a lot of people were getting the reactions. I wasn't comfortable continuing as to how it made me feel. Not sure if I should try again and try put up with those for 2-3 weeks or not.

8. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Can't state that it happened with me. However, other people have reported that when first taking anti-viral meds that their symptoms got worse but eventually they started to help.

9. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, that is quite common

10. JohnL999

JohnL999 Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Hi Ekko...the low hum went away. For the last 6 months I have been so so much better...not quite totally normal, but I don't feel like my life is ruined anymore. I have basically returned to my old tinnitus 'schedule' where I will have hissing tinnitus for a couple days and then it will disappear completely for several days. Even the days I have it, it is much more tolerable. I still get a little fullness in my bad ear, but nothing like it was last year this time. I firmly believe my problem has a significant allergy component, as I noticed my fullness got a little worse in the summertime like it always has done for me. I really think the tremendous humidity where I live (S Louisiana) aggravates the situation. I have dropped to 1 valacyclovir a day (sometimes I'll take 2 when I feel the clogging has gotten worse) and I am about 7 months in on allergy shots. I never had vertigo, but last year when I was bad off I was getting some dizziness. That is completely gone. I still notice my hearing is kind of weird in my bad ear if I compare a phone or headphones between my good and bad ear. However the damage is mild enough to where when I am listening with both ears at the same time everything sounds normal.

• Like Like x 1
  11. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    I wish to have my tinnitus in a hum tone. I just only have the JOH regimen no antivirals. My Lysine intake is 8000mg per day