1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Ear fullness/hearing worse after waking up?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Punture, Sep 4, 2021.

1. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone else notice that their symptoms, especially ear fullness and hearing loss get worse after you sleep/when you wake up in the morning.

Each night, I would go to sleep with okay hearing and little fullness only to wake up with the symptoms. So far, it seems to happen every time.

On a good day the fullness and hearing loss dissipates on its own. On a bad day it stays the whole day. And on a really bad day it progresses to a vertigo attack.

I am thinking lying down for a long period of time has something to do with it? Or perhaps dehydration?

Any suggestions?

2. Coucou

Coucou New Member

Aug 27, 2021
    Hello,

on my case, when i have ear fullness and hearing loss, i know that in 2 hours or less, i'll have vertigo crisis no matter what happens :(

3. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    That was similar to how i was when it first started. But I’ve been noticing now that fullness and hearing loss doesn’t always lead to vertigo attack or at least less severe one now…

just frustrating that I have to live in a fear that it “might” lead to one though.

4. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Very interesting as my fullness is always absent when I wake up. I've heard from others that this is usually the case for them as well, and that it builds back in a few hours after waking up. I'm not sure what the explanation for that is.

5. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    That’s totally the opposite…

I dread going to sleep knowing that my ear will get plugged up in the morning.

I tried sleeping on an incline yesterday but didn’t seem to help.

6. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    Hello Punture, My situation was exactly as you described for years. I could go to sleep doing much improved only to wake up in terrible shape. Something in the sleep perhaps. For years I could catch myself in middle of night grinding teeth. You have got to try a bite guard, I have used for 3 years now and greatly improved. Can get custom made guard on eBay for about $70, I recommend the teeth store there. Cheap and easy thing to try Punture!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Union Man

Union Man New Member

Oct 1, 2021
    Waking up with attack symptoms is pretty new to me, I think it's only happened to me 2 or 3 times in the 10 years I've been experiencing this.

My attacks are usually in late morning, or early afternoon.

8. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    This disease is so heterogenous.

I am pretty sure sleeping makes it worse. It even gets worse after a nap so it is not the time of the day.

9. sirenblood

sirenblood New Member

Jun 18, 2022
    I have cochlear hydrops. Same here. Before I fall asleep the tinnitus / ear fullness does not seem annoying to me. But when I wake up, even from a short nap, I feel sensitive to the tinnitus. And my loss of hearing are often found when I wake up.

10. bazookaman

bazookaman Member

Aug 14, 2022
    Yes. Worse ear fullness/ringing/hearing loss NEVER appears throughout the day. The ONLY time it ever manifests is when I wake up in the AM.

• Like Like x 1
  11. bazookaman

bazookaman Member

Aug 14, 2022
    I actually have a custom mouthguard (from the dentist) that I use infrequently. Apparently, I wake up and take it out and have no memory of doing so. So I don't use it as much as I should. But I suppose now is as good a reason to try harder.

12. Gman

Gman New Member

Aug 24, 2022
    Glad I started reading through some of these topics! I have bilateral Meniere´s, being diagnosed in 2006. Most of my ear fullness and vertigo happens about 24 hours before a storm comes through, and once in a while, with a fast mover it happens the day of. (That´s always fun, NOT!) It seems to coincide with barometric pressure changes and now (in the last few years) allergy seasons. My worse times of year seem to be Spring and Fall.
    One thing that really helped me a lot was talking with my ENT and having tubes put in at my initiation not his. He is now convinced that it what works for me. The risks vs. reward for me was worth it. And I knew when the tubes fell out and the holes closed as the dizziness and vertigo came back. I do now have a permanent hole in one ear drum, which they tell me can be patched if I were to have a cochlear implant done in the future. It was a quick fix that helped for a while. I still have some fullness from time to time but it did help mitigate the vertigo and help keep me up right instead of on the floor.
    Recently (past two months) I too have had issues with teeth grinding. It´s been an issue over the years and comes and goes with stress. Woke up about three years ago when I heard a ¨CRACK!!!¨ in the middle of the night. Ended up with a crown on that one. I´m stressing again, to the point of loosening a tooth and the nerve pain is excruciating. The incidence of vertigo has also increased over the last two months (coincidence??). Mouth guard was suggested at my last dentist appointment but the advice went unheeded. Now I have reached a point of desperation and I am heading to the big box store down the street today for a mouth guard once the vertigo stops and my head recovers. (Almost there!) This post only confirms what, intuitively, I knew I should have done a while ago. If only to save a dental bill for another crown (or worse), it will be worth it.