1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

First appointment with ENT…

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by CCS, Sep 16, 2021.

1. CCS

CCS New Member

Sep 12, 2021
    Hey everyone, I posted earlier this week regarding my first onset of symptoms (couple bouts of vertigo waking after sleeping on left side, sound sensitivity, and slight fullness in ears). I was able to get an urgent referral to an ENT because of the nature of my health (I have an extremely rare disease in my retina, leading to permanent blindness) and instead of late November they were actually able to squeeze me in this coming Friday. I’m so beyond relieved (I’m also trying to get pregnant right now, so this has the potential to really throw me off course) and I’m also extremely anxious.

Are there any questions I should ask the ENT? Any tests I should request? Thank you so much. I’m so full of worry as this is such a new and scary experience as I rely on my hearing for so much.

thanks everyone.

2. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    Make sure you describe your symptoms in detail and cover everything even if it only happened one time. There are too many ENT's that don't know enough about this disease and downplay it's affect on us. The first idiot I went to blew me off and said I need hearing aids- that was it.

3. Boba

Boba New Member

Aug 15, 2021
    I agree with yellowboy, describe your symptoms in details. I went to a few ENTs and only one checked my nose and Eustachian tube for other causes (the others only looked inside my ears). A sensible ENT would request a brain scan for you to rule out tumors. Some people get blood tests, some don't. Ask them what are the things you can or cannot eat, what activities to avoid, what else you should know etc. Be sure to get a copy of your audiogram for your own record.

On a separate note, I'm sorry but I heard a few stories where people's Meniere's symptoms are worse with pregnancy, so I think you probably has to delay that for at least awhile until your symptoms are more well controlled.