1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Recent diagnosis question

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by a1parrothead, Sep 14, 2021.

1. a1parrothead

a1parrothead New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Hello all,
    I will be as brief as possible. Early June of this year my left ear felt full and hearing was muffled. This has happened twice before in 2019, 2020. Each time Primary said eardrums had fluid behind them. Medrol Pak and Sudafed, Z-Pak. Both other times it cleared up. This time meds did not help. Saw 3 ENTs and Audiologist. Hearing tests showed lower range sensorineural hearing loss in left ear. Right ear was clicking when I swallowed but tested fine. BOTH ears shooting pain that radiated up and down. Sound sensitivity to low noise's, feel like I hear a weird "wooming" noise like pulsating sound waves, dizziness, ENT's (first, second and third opinion) said probable Meniere's. All said primary was incorrect and no fluid since Audiology report proved it and they saw none.

Since June I have had 3 Medrol paks, a Z-Pak, and I am on Dyazide, Vitamins. I am scheduled for allergy testing to see if allergies are part the problem, daily sinus flushes, head CT, MRI, chasing autoimmune through blood tests, low salt, I do not drink, etc.

Hearing returned 6 weeks in to normal levels. ENT said I was lucky.

BUT... a couple months ago it started to sound like my Eustachian Tubes in BOTH ears started moving EVERYTIME I move my mouth or swallow. I know how they are designed to work and have always been able to "pop" my ears simply by moving my jaw. But now they never stop. I also have times of Autophony in my left year and have to put my head down to reset my Eustachian tube.

My questions: Does anybody else have this bubbly feeling and clicking in your ears? For 4 months? Is that normal in Meniere's? My ENT says its a Eustachian tube dysfunction and a separate issue then my Meniere's symptoms.

ENT's say both ears are clear of MIDDLE ear fluid and infection.

Is this the Hydrops I am hearing?

Summary: 4 months in, Hearing normal. Dizziness, Bubbles in both ears, shooting pains, sound sensitivity to low noise's, feel like I hear a weird "wooming" noise like pulsating sound waves, every time I move my mouth my ears click and pop.

Has anybody had an episode similar that lasted this long?

NOTE: I have only had 1 episode of actual Vertigo. It was only during this go round and it only lasted about 20 minutes.

2. Punture

Punture Member

Sep 4, 2021
    Hi there,

I would believe your ENT. They are the best people to even properly see and assess your tympanic membrane. It would be very easy for them to see if you have fluid in your middle ear.

I am obviously not an expert but I have similar symptoms as you.- even before Meniere’s. Everytime I swallow I can make that clicking sound. I think it is your eustachian tube opening and closing. It is possible that there may be tiny bit of fluid there making the click when the eustachian tube is opening but it is obviously not significant amount as your ENT can’t see them and it is not causing any infection. I would try to ignore it.

It sounds like your vertigo and hearing loss went away and you are left with chronic imbalance. This was the case for me 6 years ago when I had my first and second vertigo episode. The imbalance lasted I think 6 months. Things that helped: vestibular rehab training (youtube it), walking and being mobile in general, exercise (swimming helped alot for me) and trying not to take meds or drugs that suppress your nervous system (lorazepam, gravol, alcohol).

After 6 months I had no imbalance.

Unfortunately, I had another vertigo attack about a month ago and I am back to square one but I am doing everything the same again hoping I will be in remission again.

3. a1parrothead

a1parrothead New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Punter,
    Thanks for the reply. Good luck with your latest round!
    Jeff

4. Robert S

Robert S Member

Jun 12, 2021
    Los Angeles
    I am quite the same as you and just posted about my Eustachian tube dysfunction + my MD diagnosis. I had the same squishy noise, but no one could find any fluid in my middle ear. What I think was happening is that I too do a daily sinus rinse and a small amount was leaking into my middle ear. Try stopping for a week and see if it goes away. When you do go back do not use a plastic bottle that you squeeze to do the rinse, but instead get a ceramic Neti pot. This added pressure was pushing the saline solution past the opening of my Eustachian tube.