1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Antivirals Help with length of trial run

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by a1parrothead, Oct 27, 2021.

1. a1parrothead

a1parrothead New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    I would really, really appreciate everyone weighing in on Valtrex. My ENT was willing to try it at 3000mg a day. After 1 month he had me stop it, as I had no improvement.

What is your experience? Is a 1 month trial long enough to see results?

I get cold sores and have had shingles, so I know I have the virus in me.

If I need a longer trial I will do it happily.

Also, I take Betahistine 16mg/TID for 3 weeks now. I think it helps, but the last 3 days have developed a pounding headache and that weird out of body feeling. Anyone else have experience or advice with this? I hate to stop the SERC.

Lastly, Any recommendations on vitamin B and zinc? I think my ENT wanted me to take 400mg a day of each.? Not sure, but does that sound like the right dose? Also, vitamin B12?

2. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    In Germany, I have never heard of herpes viruses causing Menière's Disease. So no doctor would give you antiviral medicine here.
    Still a mystery what the causes of MD are.
    I get 3 times 48 mg betahistine since May and feel much better than before with half of the dosage (24 mg).
    The doctor in hospital said 48 mg is state-of-the-art at the moment.
    I also found out that I do not get enough Magnesium and Potassium. So I Take Supplements.
    The doctors in Germany think Morbus Meniere is related to metabolism and Ionic concentration problems. I have a special diet.
    No caffein, alcohol, sodas, very low sodium and of course carbohydrate intake. I suffer from food intolerance since 1994 and diabetes since 2011. But no viruses.
    I had never side effects of betahistine.
    The out of the body feeling might be caused by your inner ear problem similar to brain fog.
    Greetings from Bremen, Susanne

3. a1parrothead

a1parrothead New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Susanne,
    Thank you for the reply. I feel lucky that my doctor was even willing to write a prescription for Betahistine. I saw several that were unwilling and either acted as if they did not know what it was, or said it did not work!
    Jeff

4. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Some general thoughts, pulled together from my memory of previous postings on this forum:

One month is not always enough time to see improvement. If anything, it is usually expected that you experience a worsening of symptoms in the first few weeks. The general recommendation 'round here is to give it three months at max dose. If you start seeing improvement, then taper down and find your maintenance dose.

This alone is enough to warrant you being on antivirals. You are showing the primary symptoms of the virus these medications are built to treat. If your ENT will not keep you on antivirals, I would expect any other doctor to.

5. a1parrothead

a1parrothead New Member

Sep 14, 2021
    EkkoMusic,
    Thanks for the reply. I agree and have had some good P.M's from others on this.
    Jeff

6. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020

7. eveva

eveva Member

Jul 30, 2020
    I have been on Antiviral since Sep 2020 (more than a year). Valtrex 500 mg for three mo, than switched to Acyclovir 400 mg/twice a day, which is not expensive. Was prescribed by primary dr. since I tested positive for Herpis I and II IGG Antibodies. During the treatment did three times the same test. Numerical result stayed the same. Dr. saying that treatment should go for years not months.
    I wander if I should take the breaks in taking antiviral ?? I tolerate this med. well because it is a small dose compare what people in this forum are taking.
    Is anyone were taking several blood tests and saw any effect of antiviral on the results? What kind off tests?

And my second question. I read that for some several vitamins and supplements it's good to take a break for three weeks to give your body chance to work itself. Any wisdom on that??
    Appreciate collective mind and thank you

8. jose suarez

jose suarez Member

Nov 2, 2020
    please try the JOH regimen, it works