1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Vestibular Nerve Section Surgery

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Swell143, Nov 13, 2021.

1. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    New to forum, as well as MD (2 years). Been diagnosed with MD about a year ago after several vertigo bouts and all the fun associated with those. After several rounds of doctors visits with ENT's and now my Otolaryngologist I'm seriously thinking about this VNS surgery. I've had steroid injections (multiple times), and Endolymphatic Sac Decompression surgery all with no relief and I'm considering the Vestibular Nerve section procedure. I'm a very active 61 year old, cycling is a passion of mine. Wife and I are recently retired and looking forward to traveling with new motorhome but this condition has brought all our retirement plans to a halt at this point. I read all about different treatment plans, and diet modifications but I feel I just want to get this surgery and be done with the vertigo I'm having. I understand the risks and recovery from VNS can be tough, but I'm thinking months of recovery verses the many years of new "normal" retirement life it seems worth it to me. Am I crazy to be wanting to jump directly into surgery? I just want this gone....

2. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Let me try this, anyone here had the VNS surgery? What was the experience, recovery like? Thanks

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    No you are not crazy! Life is too short to live with menieres when there is a way out of such misery. My only question is have you thought about a Labyrinthectomy vs the VNS?

I wish you the best of luck with whatever you decide. I chose a laby 9 years ago when I was 61 and in your shoes. Best decision of my life! I am very active and love and live life to the fullest! I believe in getting on with life and slaying the beast was the answer for me.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Thank you Redwing. My concern with the Labyrinthectomy is the total loss of hearing in that ear. I currently have 50% of my hearing and at least the VNS surgery would preserve that. Was your hearing completely wiped out after your laby?

• Like Like x 1
  5. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My hearing was pretty much nonexistent before my surgery. I suffered with menieres for close to 12 years so a lot of damage had already taken place. But yes the laby will wipe out any hearing you now have. However the surgeon left the cochlear so if I need a cochlear implant in the future I will be a candidate. My OTO told me I would never have to live in silence. The technology for implants is continuously improving so it is something to consider. I chose the laby because my hearing was gone and I also believe it is less invasive surgery.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Thanks Redwing for sharing your experience, and I will certainly take that into consideration.

7. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Hello Swell…..VNS hope s brain surgery in essence I would go with the laby as it is basically outpatient ear surgery and recovery is a lot easier. 2 weeks and you got your life back. I had the laby live a normal life and know if I ever need a Cochlear implant I can get one in my laby ear because now they leave the snail portion of the cochlea in there if they need it in the future. I had about 50% hearing when I had the laby. I chose the Laby because it is the gold standard with an easily recovery and will give you your life back.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    *VNS is brain surgery with a lot more difficult recovery. Glad I got the laby. Went in at 2:00 and walked out the next morning to get on with life. Never looked back

good luck my friend
    Joe

9. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    So Joe after the procedure was your partial hearing wiped out? I've discussed this procedure briefly with my doctor, but sounds like I need to discuss further. During our conversation I just focused on the total loss of hearing part and that scared me away from that.

10. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Update: Looking into a procedure called a tympanic neurectomy to alleviate the fullness feeling in my ear. Was told this would "only" take care of that nothing more. The fullness I feel everyday for me seems like half the battle, because that has been constant for me for two years now.

11. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Tinnitus doesn’t drive you nuts?

12. redwing1951

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    My OTO made it very clear to me that the laby would definitely take care of vertigo but regards to the other wonderful symptoms that go along with the beast his exact words…..if you find relief “it’s icing on the cake.” I still have tinnitus but that I can handle. For me the main reason for surgery was to end the vertigo hell and that indeed is over.

13. Bulldogs

May 12, 2014
    Swell, Yes my hearing was wiped out…..
    But now I hear better because the laby took care of all the other symptoms as well as never having vertigo again.

I am just deaf in my fight ear but can get a cochlear implant if I want one and also the cross hearing aid allows me to hear on the right side as well but I don’t wear them I can hear just fine.

the laby took care of my hyperacusis, fullness ect……. Like Red said I do have some light tinnitus but it is barely noticeable most days and does not bother me.

I am sympathetic to the Laby. It gave me my life back and I live a normal life doing anything and everything I want without the anxiety of menieres hanging over my head.

Good Luck
    If you want to talk just pm me and I will give you my phone number.

Joe

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Thanks Joe,
    I am going to discuss the laby procedure with my doc today actually. Thanks all for
    the insight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Swell143, I am so sorry you're going through this. Two years of constant fullness sounds brutal.

This is the first I've heard of a tympanic neurectomy. Could you elaborate on what this is and what it would do? How does it target fullness?

16. Cheryl

Cheryl Active Member

May 23, 2014
    Hi Swell143,

I've had a VNS. I'd be glad to answer any questions you have. Your recovery will depend on how much vestibular function you have left in the operated ear. I had already had Meniere's for 20+ years and my vestibular nerve was very badly damaged, according to the surgeon.

It was predicted that I would awake from the surgery with vertigo that might last for several days. That didn't happen. I spent the first day and night in ICU, which is standard, and when I was moved to a regular room I was able to walk to the bathroom unassisted.

I don't remember the numbers, but I didn't have much hearing left in that ear due to a failed endolymphatic shunt surgery the year before. Nevertheless, my surgeon said he believed any hearing is worth saving and he advised the VNS over labyrinthectomy for me.

All the best to you in whatever you decide to do.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Cheryl, thank you for your reply as I am definitely given VNS serious consideration. I still have about 40% of my hearing in my bad ear so the laby procedure I'm shying away from because of the total loss of hearing with that procedure. I have had the Endo sac decompression surgery, multiple steroid shots, all that only worked for a short time. I'm scheduled for tympanic neurectomy Dec 8th, but I'm getting that because of the awful fullness that has been constant and consistent throughout this whole ordeal. I also went to see a chiropractor that specializes in something called the Blair Cervical technique that I read about on line. He found that my C1 vertebrae is out of alignment which he says could be causing my MD. Honestly though I'm skeptical because maybe I'm ignorant but I've always been kind of afraid of all the popping and cracking of chiropractic adjustments, but apparently the Blair procedure is different somehow. I found out procedure details tomorrow after all my x-rays and measurements he took today. I know one thing though, I'm throwing darts at every possible treatment for this horrible disease, even has far as getting a testosterone pellet plugged into my butt because the PA at my OTO doctor's office said they've seen it lesson the vertigo on some people, so I did it. I just want this nightmare gone. I hope your living a full and healthy life. Piece

18. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    I did the blair technique two different times, for six months 3 times a week. Can't say that it worked, but he did do the popping to adjust the alignment in my neck. I also tried a NUCCA chiropractor and he just used the palm and heel of his hand with gentle pressure. Can't say that it worked either. I have had MD over 30 years so nothing will work I suppose. Now I am having drop attacks which scare the hell out of me. Good luck.

19. Swell143

Swell143 New Member

Nov 11, 2021
    Austin TX
    Weeba, I'm new to this nightmare, 2 years and I'm trying everything I hear about even up to the VNS surgery. I simply refuse to live like this, so before I have to, I'm going all in on everything. So sorry for what you're dealing with I can't imagine. All the best!

20. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Bumping this. Does anyone have an answer?

• Agree Agree x 1