1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

A simple tinnitus exercise that (actually) works ->

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by BackLite, Oct 15, 2022.

1. BackLite

BackLite Member

May 13, 2014
    Victoria BC

"Half of our participants received substantial relief."

I don't know anything about their claims but I'm happy to say that the exercise has made me virtually 'tinnitus free'. The only remnants of the noise are heard upon waking up.

There have been loads of these 'tinnitus relief videos' on the Internet (YouTube), so I was skeptical when I watched this one.

As I had nothing to lose so I gave it a try. I didn't notice much difference immediately and went about my business. I'd say 10-15 minutes later I realized the noise was gone.

I continue to do the exercise 3 to 5 times a day (especially once at bedtime).

For about a week, I seemed to hear 'ghost noise', which is understandable since the brain has been generating the sound for, in my case, about 40 years.

Anyway, after 3 weeks, the noise is basically gone. I believe my hearing may have improved a little (but I'm not sure).

Will this improve my Meniere's? I don't know but I sure hope so.

I'll try to keep updating. peace/out

• Like Like x 3
  2. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    How many time you do the exercise? 10 seconds? Thanks

3. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    You do 50 thumps.

I tried it twice and so far no joy for me :(

I did learn that my left hand is much less coordinated than my right! :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    Thanks Donamo!

5. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Just a lot of thumps for me. Way too much to ask that something like that could actually work.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    shows you how desperate we are that we actually tried it!! LOL DUH

7. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    Yea, Cheers to the guy that "invented" this method. Got to be laughing knowing that he got a bunch of people to cover their ears and thump themselves on the head 30 times. :)

8. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Biffer!!!! No no! Ya gotta do 50 thumps, not 30! That's why it didn't work for you ..... maybe :)

9. Biffer

Biffer Member

Aug 6, 2020
    ...and jump on one leg while spinning clockwise with your eyes closed. It will get rid of the tinnitus but bring on a wicked case of vertigo.

10. Brownrecluse

Brownrecluse Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Didn't work for me. I got Meniere's, or at least my first major attack, on May 11, 2002. The tinnitus was bad but manageable after a labyrinthectomy and cochlear implant. But I've had over 30 non-Menieres-related surgeries since then, four in the last year. The last one was supposedly a routine outpatient procedure. I was in the hospital for four days. Three weeks after my discharge, huge complications arose, I lost a massive amount of blood, had to rush to the ER, three more days in the hospital. When I was discharged, my tinnitus was literally at least five times worse than it had been.

Now, every conversation I have is frustrating and unpleasant, even painful. People's voices sound fuzzy, and like they are being filtered through a watery echo chamber. Unless they are in front of me and no more than three feet away, I cannot understand them. Even with my two hearing aids. There are three prominent sounds, a very loud hum, a very loud hiss, and a constant, erratic, annoying set of clicks, over and over again. There are more sounds in the background. But silence? Only when I sleep, and I take Valium at night for the dizziness I have, which also seems to calm the tinnitus a bit.

Funny. In December, 2014, I was told by one of the preeminent Meniere's doctors in the country, Dr. Jennifer Derebery of the House Ear Institute in Los Angeles, that I had reached "burnout" based on the sophisticated testing equipment they have there. As many of you probably know, that did not mean I was cured. It meant the disease had done as much damage to me as it was going to do. And I would have to live with that for the rest of my life. What she did not say, maybe did not know, is that the stress from constant surgeries could overcome "burnout" and cause symptoms to worsen again. Because while the tinnitus increase has been the worst, my balance is also worse, my dizziness more frequent, my short-term memory shakier.

Facing three more surgeries in the next four months, I am not in a joyous frame of mind. But for our grandson, my wife, my family and close friends, I would gladly say "Enough!" I confess that when I breathe my last I will not be sad. Because all my burdens, but especially Menieres, will be gone. And life's pleasures are now so few, and of so little consequence, that I will miss none of them.

I write this not seeking sympathy, but perhaps to tell others who may be experiencing the same thing from the physical stress of surgery that they are not alone. What is the "cure"? There isn't one. What do we do? Suck it up. For the sake of our loved ones, if for no other reason. Even if we frustrate them with our condition, which I certainly do.

Have a good holiday season all. I intend to, despite everything.