1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Steroid Injections Into the Ear Drum

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gregg Miller, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Iwa86

Iwa86 New Member

Jan 27, 2023
    There were a couple of studies that proved that steroid injections are as efficient as gentamicin injections. Maybe we were not lucky… ‍♀️

2. MrE

MrE Active Member

Nov 17, 2022
    I believe the thought process for steroids is that they reduce inflammation, but if the cause of that inflammation is let untreated, it's only going to have a temporary benefit at best. That's why many Dr's combine steroids with an antiviral. I remember when I went through a course of 4 injections, I actually regained a decent amount of hearing after the 1st one and the 2nd, however, it didn't stay that way - all other symptoms remained the same during this time. My Dr. also didn't prescribe an antiviral either.

3. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I had 3 steroid injections and they made no difference. What is more after each injection I had a vertigo attack. I cannot imagine not having it done without a numbing agent.
    Just tell your doctor you want it numbed. It’s not rocket science and it’s hardly any extra cost. Good luck

4. Arturo

Arturo New Member

Oct 26, 2022
    Connecticut
    I have received 6 steroid shots in my eardrum the last 2 years. I experienced only about 10-20 seconds of small pain when the needle penetrate the eardrum and then a rare sensation when the liquid disperse. My Doctor doesn’t numb the ear before the shot. However it’s a partial relief. My dizziness and vertigo comeback eventually.
    I hope it helps. I never been sensitive to shots, I know is different for other people
    I hope it helps

5. Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 Member

Feb 10, 2023
    I have also had several cortisone injections into my eardrum & always w/o prior numbing. For me, they're only painful once the medication enters the inner ear, & that's from the pressure of the added fluid. The slower the doctor injects the medication, the less painful the process. I've only had dizziness a couple of times during the injections. My first experience was the worst as it made my hearing worse & the inner ear pressure was terrible for about 2 days post injection then it was like a miracle, & my MD symptoms stopped, & my hearing improved for a month or more, but gradually all symptoms returned. I never had comparable results with any injection after that though I was always hopeful each subsequent one would be more helpful than it was.

Several years ago, after a month long, unstoppable symptoms flare where my hearing was declining rapidly, I opted for endolymphatic sac shunt surgery. It did save & even improved my hearing & reduced my symptoms for a couple of years, but once again, they have gradually come back. What I wasn't told about that surgery is that it forever changes whatever hearing you still have because a small amount of the skull bone is removed behind the affected ear. It's truly amazing how significant that little bit of skull is in helping w/ proper hearing.

6. Paul Cheetham

Paul Cheetham New Member

Jan 4, 2023
    Hi,

I'm new here, having been diagnosed just before Christmas after a number of drop attacks (severe vertigi, vomiting etc).

It started my doc believes 3 years ago when one day I lost about 60% of hearing in my right ear. Back then, had an mri that showed nothing so off I went with no treatment other than "learn to adapt". I had no vertigo etc so thats what I did.

Wind forward to late 2022, and these attacks came out the blue - a shock for sure. Had an attack now appox every week since.

Ive cut salt as much as poss, alcohol completely, and I am takinf betahistimibe (serc) plus b12, b6 and b5 vitamins as advised by consultant.

Today, I had a steroid injection to my ear, which was not that painful - the annesthetic was the worst part if any, then i had spinning feeling as stetoid went in. 30mins later I left with no issues. Its 12hrs later here now, my head is sore and my ear feels very full..as consultant said would likely happen.

How long before anyone has felt some improvement with vertigo though? I realize there are no guarantees it will work at all, but I am just praying it works for me.

7. Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 Member

Feb 10, 2023
    I don't recall the cortisone injection stopping vertigo for me but my vertigo was generally not severe except for occasionally. I was a long distance runner & hiker for about 10 years, & I can definitively say that a long run/hike would often result in a severe vertigo episode. I always carried hydration with me, but apparently the stress of the distance on my body caused vertigo onset. I have vastly reduced my mileage & now wear compression knee high socks (20-30 mmHg) persistently during the day. I have had no vertigo since last year in October. I feel like I've found my "magic pill". I added the leg compression because I'd developed some ankle edema especially on warm days & at higher altitudes than where I live. Some of my vertigo episodes coincided w/ days of more severe edema & also altitude change. Compression has made a difference for me.