1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

First symptom of Menieres = Vertigo?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MrE, Feb 3, 2023.

1. MrE

MrE Active Member

Nov 17, 2022
    A general question for fellow Menieres sufferers... was the first symptom of your Meniere's vertigo? Is that always the case for it to be textbook Menieres? Or does anyone have Menieres that presented itself with other symptoms first, such as tinnitus, hearing loss, aural fullness, etc.?

2. Iwa86

Iwa86 New Member

Jan 27, 2023
    The first thing that I noticed was that I heard the ringing when I called someone differently when I held the phone on my left ear. It sounded higher. It went away after one month. My first vertigo attack with tinnitus I had 5 months later…

3. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    For me, plugged up ear then noticed I couldn’t hear bass in music well, then dizziness shortly after that followed by diagnosis.

4. Weeba

Weeba Member

Jun 19, 2020
    Vertigo for me. Had tinnitus for many years before the vertigo.

5. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I had vertigo - maybe once a year only- for about 5 years before I woke up one morning in January 2019 with roaring tinnitus. My life has been shit since then.

6. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    First thing for me was severe vertigo attack. I did not notice anything prior and was exercising daily, eating healthy for a number of years when the vértigo hit me. And when I say hit me, I mean it, I was at a work event, an ambulance came and got me.

7. Colette

Colette New Member

Nov 9, 2022
    I had tinnitus for many years, I can’t be exact but I think it was about 5 years. Fullness and ringing would come and go for a while and then became constant.

I was diagnosed with Ménière’s by an ENT at an urgent care around the 5 year point, but since I had never heard of Ménière’s I wasn’t fully convinced; I was not experiencing vertigo at this point and my primary doctor told me I was to young to have Ménière’s.

It was at the 6 year point that I began having low key dizzy spells pretty regularly. Those then ramped up to full vertigo spells within that year.

It took me a few months of bad vertigo spells to try anything from the recommended Ménière’s diet given to me by the ENT. I quit caffeine cold turkey and for the first time in many years the tinnitus went away after about a week! I could hear better! I even went back for another audiology exam and they were shocked that my heard returned. The vertigo went away! I was symptom free for about 8-9 months

The vertigo returned eventually, but I had been drinking quite a bit more alcohol than usual at this time. The first vertigo spell since the remission came about 20 minutes after eating an extremely high sodium instant ramen. It’s still the worst episode I have ever had. Projectile vomiting and all, it lasted for days.

This time the vertigo was much more frequent. Uncountable spells that would last for days. I had to miss work many times, or go lay in my car until the vertigo subsided. My left ear went back to being full all the time and the ringing was louder than ever. The loud ringing in my ear was making me extremely anxious and I felt like I was going crazy. I was only in my late 30’s and crippled by this disease no doctor had any solutions for it.

It wasn’t until October 2022, 8 years in that I heard of the “John from Ohio” regime. I started this regimen immediately.

The first month or two my vertigo changed it went from fully crippling spells to medium to low keys dizzy all the time. I was very worried this treatment was not going to work. But I read about everyone’s experiences on this forum and others which helped me hang in there and keep going with this regimen. I am now 5 months into full dedication of this treatment.

I don’t even have words to even explain how thankful I am to this John from Ohio guy. I’m not a cryer but thinking about what he has done for me makes me very emotional.

This guy needs to be given an award!! And or loads of money.

I know I’m only 5 months in but the vertigo is gone, the tinnitus is very quiet, and some days completely tinnitus free.

I can’t wait to see where I get to in a year and further.

Thanks John!

8. MrE

MrE Active Member

Nov 17, 2022
    Thanks for sharing your experiences everyone. For me, I started with tinnitus in the summer of 2021 in my right ear. Then I noticed the inability to hear lower frequencies in April of 2022. On August 1st 2022 hell broke loose where I lost 50% of my hearing in my left ear, weekly vertigo, fullness, tinnitus etc. In October I change my diet and started the JOH. No episodes since! I still have the hearing loss and tinnitus, but the fullness is dramatically reduced as well.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Iwa86

Iwa86 New Member

Jan 27, 2023
    Same here! I also had vertigo twice a week and lost 50% of my hearing in my left ear… It was a nightmare! For me celery juice made the change! I drink it every morning and since then I had only 3 attacks, which were by far not as intense as before… How did you change your diet? Nowadays I try to avoid sugar, gluten and dairy.. Coffee only once every 3-4 days.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. MrE

MrE Active Member

Nov 17, 2022
    I did celery juice for about a month at the beginning, but eventually quit because of the cost. Other than that I cut caffeine 100%, almost all dairy and gluten, and dramatically cut alcohol. I eat significantly more veggies as well. Also, as I mentioned, I started the John of Ohio supplements. I have a dream, that if I can substantially reduce or eliminate all of my symptoms with the exception of hearing loss I would be a happy, happy man. If I can recover some hearing... Well, that would be well beyond any expectations.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  11. IvanNew

IvanNew Active Member

Jan 18, 2021
    My first was plug the ear (and of course loss hearing).

12. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I had an ear fullness followed by vertigo. I had had tinnitus for some 10 years.

13. Angel555

Angel555 New Member

Dec 26, 2022
    My 18 year old had low frequency hearing loss first for about 1.5 years then followed spinning episodes/ vomiting. thos is new to us as the diagnosis was only made 6 weeks ago.
    wishing you well

14. myride

myride New Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Eastern NC
    Welcome aboard... My experience was loss of half hearing in right ear accompanied with tinnitus. Year later lost rest of hearing in right ear and increase tinnitus. 3 year after 1st loss of hearing, last month, was 1st major attack (vertigo, puking, after 12 hours to hospital to fluid up and get meds in system). 2nd attack last week was more prepared. I got meds in system before full blown attack, used a sleep mask, laid in bed with very little movement and l and was over it in 7 hours (wasn't bad at all).

15. MrE

MrE Active Member

Nov 17, 2022
    myride, have you been doing any treatments?

16. myride

myride New Member

Jul 8, 2021
    Eastern NC
    Was put on betahistine, diuretic, and low sodium diet. Low sodium diet was just not adding salt to finished foods. Don’t know if this is doing any good.
    Looking at “John from Ohio” regimen.

17. Kenneth

Kenneth New Member

Jul 22, 2022
    Tinnitus started off and on over 10 yrs ago..Started noticing slight hearing loss over the years and would have a Vertigo Attack maybe once a a year and would always start out with a Sinus Infection and Ringing would get really loud.Back in 2021 my ringing and hearing loss got really bad and Vertigo Attacks got more serious.I was under a lot of stress for sure in 2021 and first of 2022.My first ENT said there was nothing he could do.He was older and getting ready to retire.I found a younger doctor that my Audiologist recommended .Went to see him on that day I had a attack earlier and went to see him and he seen what I was dealing with and all my previous test showed Mineares so he recommended Endolymphatic Sac Decompression which I had surgery this past June 2022.It was a life saver and has definitely help me.It was a little rough recovering from it and I was a little worried that I had wasted my money.It definitely has come around and I have been Vertigo free for at least 6 months now with no problems.My Tinnitus is still there for sure and definitely have to watch my salt intake..If I want something really salty I will treat myself on the weekends.Now I get a little ear fullness and feel like crap for a couple hours.I never get dizzy.Just on the edge of it.I wear Hearing Aids in both ears and I don’t use any white noise.They have definitely helping the ringing not to be has noticeable for sure.My regiment now is prescription diaretic,Vitamin B and D regiment now and Allergy meds and nose spray.After finding this forum and reading others issues mine are very minimum compared to others.Very blessed for sure

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Isaiah 40:31

Isaiah 40:31 Member

Feb 10, 2023
    My MD started about a month after a head injury in 2015, thus I don't think it's got a viral basis. I've had tinnitus since early childhood, but the tinnitus that started after my head injury was different & mind numbing. I had one bout of hearing distortion 6 years prior when I was very stressed & clenching my teeth when I slept but chalked it up to a TMJ issue. I also had a brief tangle w/ vertigo a couple of yrs after that which my ENT diagnosed as BPV.

After the onset of the roaring tinnitus associated w/ MD, my initial vertigo attacks were very mild. I referred to them "high functioning vertigo" because I was just a little off balance but could go about my day normally. It was probably 4-5 mos after the ear fullness, hearing distortion & thunderous tinnitus started that I had my first bad vertigo attack. At that point, I was taking a diuretic 2x/day, prednisone PRN to reduce symptoms, & attempting the low salt, caffeine, no alcohol, stay-well-hydrated, get-enough-sleep diet. The pattern for me was that tinnitus would gradually ramp up over a few days then I'd get dizzy for a day, & the next morning, tinnitus would be calmed down (not gone) & dizziness would be gone for anywhere from a few days to a few weeks.

I have currently had no vertigo since 10/22. The only things I've changed are that I'm no longer doing long distance hikes, & I'm consistently wearing compression knee high socks to help prevent edema in my ankles which seems to contribute to my vertigo attacks. If that's the cure for me, it's sure an easy one!

• Like Like x 1
  19. KathyH

KathyH Member

Mar 22, 2023

20. KathyH

KathyH Member

Mar 22, 2023
    Over 2 years ago, I had sudden sensorineural hearing loss in right ear, with some dizziness, had to lay down. Went on Prednisone, eventually hearing came back but I have had fluctuating sensorineural hearing loss and aural fullness and tinnitus ever since. Endolymphatic Hydrops diagnosis.Then in December 2022 my tinnitus become more pulsatile. Started really losing hearing, and one neurotologist didn't want to do anything. I had my first vertigo attack on March 1, with vomiting, 3 hours. Next one was March 11. My diagnosis is now Meniere's. My other neurotologist (different state) suggested ear steroid shots to try to bring back hearing so I just finished 3 shots in 2 weeks, plus Prednisone. I have Meclizine if an attack comes on. I have had a total of 7 vertigo/or dizziness since March 1, including today. Mine are always preceded by pulsatile tinnitus. Am starting on Betahistine to try to prevent vertigo, as well as diuretic, low sodium, no caffeine, etc,