1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Migraine - Vestibular/Cochlear

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Daniel, Aug 20, 2023.

1. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    A few weeks ago, with my condition lacking any improvement in the last two months, my ENT/Neurotologist said that we should explore treating my case as migraine. If that didn’t work we would be looking at surgery, probably a decompression.

We started on 10mg nortriptlyine every night. By the 3rd day, I felt like there was some improvement in my fullness and ringing. The fullness for me in the last two months has been unbearable, until it usually results in a vertigo attack and then I get a 24 hour reprieve from fullness.

Unfortunately, I stopped the nortriptlyine after the 3rd day sue to side effects. I am notoriously sensitive to medications, even on the lowest dosage. I felt like an absolute zombie on that drug and could not function. It was also disturbing my sleep, meaning I had little trouble getting to sleep, but it woke me in the middle of night at 2:30am every night.

A few days later I was back with my ENT and he started me on venflaxanine/Effexor. The good news is that after taking this med for 4-5 days, my symptoms improved dramatically. I had no fullness, tinnitus largely reduced/eliminated , and my hearing in low tones went from 65db to 40db, confirmed by my audiogram when I went for my first hearing aid. The bad news , as is always with me and medication , is that I did not tolerate this med either. I stuck it out for 8 days, but six of those days I slept maybe 45 minutes per night, if at all. During the day, I felt as if I was under the influence , heart racing, anxiety, chills.

I have an appointment with a neurologist on Tuesday, in hopes of continuing to treat this as migraine with a different medication. The CGRP medications that were approved a few years ago are all the craze nowadays. Hoping that one could have a similar effect with less side effects.

I was always asked if I get headaches, which I never really did. My ENT has always brought up migraine despite me not having any typical migraine symptoms. There has been tons of new research coming out of UCSF and UCI as well as Europe on meniere’s and migraine in the past few years. Vestibular and Cochlear migraine is now looked at on a continuum, with some patients having more vestibular issues and some having more cochlear. If you haven’t discussed with your practitioner migraine as a cause or contributor , or even a misdiagnosis, it is definitely worth exploring.

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    You should check out this book

3. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I do have a copy, thank you for the suggestion.

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    LOL - OK, it's a good book.

5. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    I have been put on nortriptyline for migraines what side effects did u get

6. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    It made me feel like a complete zombie. Extreme tiredness/fatigue, brain fog.

I’m also notoriously sensitive to meds. I’m back on venlafaxine now at a really low dose which is having some success.

good luck to you , I hope it works.

7. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Can you lose your hearing with vestibular migraines

8. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Yes you can. VM and MD can sometimes be difficult to distinguish and also sometimes happen concurrently.

9. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    What is decompression surgery

10. Steven Wm.son

Steven Wm.son New Member

Feb 23, 2024
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
  12. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Thank you

13. Oscar Alejando C.

Oscar Alejando C. New Member

Dec 14, 2022
    I took venlafaxine for few years for another condition. I remember that the first 4 week were very difficult and had temperature regulation problems and other symptoms but all went ok in the 2 month

14. Paul101

Paul101 Member

Jan 30, 2023
    Ca
    Can you lose your hearing with vestibular migraine

15. JanieJiffy

JanieJiffy Member

Apr 30, 2023
    Interesting that Daniel said he is very sensitive to meds. I didn't use to be that way until my MD got bad, when even a Tylenol hit me hard (dizziness), which makes me suspect that my belief that I have leaky gut is likely valid. During the last few years, even sugary food would go straight to my head with an immediate sugar high. I am working on healing my gut with lots more dietary fiber, no sugar or gluten, and (because I also believe I have histamine intolerance) no fermented foods, especially no yogurt.

16. paulo

paulo New Member

May 13, 2023
    There’s seem to be an ongoing trial on the use of this drug for Meniere’s:

Treatment of Meniere's Disease With Migraine Medications - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

Last edited by a moderator: May 1, 2024 at 11:14 AM