1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Diamox can be toxic to inner ear and CAUSE more tinnitus? What gives?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EAOfficial, May 14, 2024.

1. EAOfficial

EAOfficial Member

Jan 10, 2024
    North Jersey
    So this website says Diamox, the diuretic acetazolamide, is toxic to the inner ear?

Acetazolamide side effects and how to avoid them

And lots of people get tinnitus from it? I already have mild tinnitus, I don't want it to get worse.

What gives? How is this an inner-ear-problem medicine? Sounds like the opposite

A ENT doctor just prescribed it for me, with the idea that it MAY help my symptoms. Though honestly, if I have Meniere's it's very atypical and mild and comes with no hydrops. Should I even at all try this medicine?

2. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Hi EAO,
    I would also be cautious. I once got a diuretic also by my ENT doctor because some people see improvement with MD..Not so me, one tablet, vertigo the same day.
    I am also cautious with diuretic herbal infusions and asparagus.
    I once checked my intake of potassium and take it together with magnesium. And I restrict my sodium intake. Fine for me.
    I have had water retention only once in my life after my big surgery in 2022, but no problem with vertigo or any other symptoms of MD.
    Best wishes Lilja

3. labosc

labosc New Member

Jul 18, 2023