1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Eye Movement Exercises for Dizziness???

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by JdCee, May 24, 2024.

1. JdCee

JdCee New Member

Jun 1, 2023
    I've been referred, by two different ENT docs on two different occasions, to physical therapy for relief from Meniere's dizziness/nausea. Both symptoms are mild and annoying, but do occasionally offset my ability to function normally. Meclizine usually relieves the severity of the surges. Like most of you, the tinnitus never ends. The idea is for me to do several types of eye movement exercises to "retrain" my brain to ignore certain triggers to dizziness. What are those triggers? I haven't a clue. When they occur, I can never pinpoint what, if anything, I did to aggravate it. Anyhow, I understand the concept of retraining how the brain reacts, but has anyone actually had any success and improvement by doing these things? Thanks.

2. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Yes, me. Absolutely.
    It starts with eye exercises, and then balance training.
    Triggers for me are changes in light and air pressure.
    Learned something about proprioception and how the brain gets different signals.
    It also helped me to walk barefoot.
    Best wishes Lilja

3. Mr. Dutchie

Mr. Dutchie Member

Jan 29, 2024
    Hello JdCee, it appears to lack significance to me. By consistently wearing glasses to correct your eyes, you can make adjustments in your body as an example. This involves positioning your eyes in a specific manner to establish a new frame of reference.

With balance it works similar. The brain receives information from the muscles, inner ear, and vision, which collectively contribute to maintaining balance in a healthy individual. When these three elements align, proper balance is achieved. In cases of Meniere's disease, bilateral Meniere's disease, with or without Nystagmus, the lack of sufficient reference points prevents the brain from recognizing steady balance, leading to an inability to achieve equilibrium. As long as neither of them is fixed the brain simply can't be trained what is in balance and what not. It also seems that the tiredness most of us experience comes from this.

4. Mr. Dutchie

Mr. Dutchie Member

Jan 29, 2024
    In the Netherlands, specialized prisma glasses are available for Meniere and can be used to train the eyes, with approximately 80% of individuals experiencing some relief and some finding complete resolution of issues. However, these glasses are expensive and not typically covered by medical insurance. A tax declaration can provide a full refund for those with Meniere's disease.

5. Lilja

Lilja Member

Sep 14, 2021
    Perfectly explained, Mr. Dutchie! Thank you!
    Lilja

6. JdCee

JdCee New Member

Jun 1, 2023
    Thanks to everyone for the replies today. I was (and maybe still) a little skeptical, but I will give the execises a try and hope for good results.