1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Started valacyclovir a week ago. Goal is 1 year.

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Christian S, Oct 31, 2022.

1. Christian S

Christian S New Member

Oct 1, 2021
    Hey, everyone!

I hope you are all doing well and my thoughts are with you all. I finally found a doctor that was willing to prescribe an antiviral other than aciclovir. One of the many things I wanted to try out was this approach. Then he told me he changed his mind after he had consulted one of his tutors from university, who told him it wasn't reliable and so on. Yeah, we all know it is not a 100% thing. I told him that, but he wouldn't budge. Anyways, one of my best friends happens to be a doctor and he actually approached me and asked if he could help in any way. So, I found my source of valaciclovir. I have to pay for it, of course. Here in Germany, 1 tablet is roughly 1,30€. I need about 400.

So, I started last week and plan to do it for a year, as long as my kidneys and liver keep up. I had bloodwork done and will monitor it continually. 3x1g for 3 weeks, 2x1g for 3 weeks and then a maintenance dosage 1x1g for 6-12 months. I'm sure many know this approach from the well-known Dr Gacek.

Well, I will share noteworthy developments with you. If there are no changes whatsoever, I will also document that since it is information as well. This November marks my 2 years with Meniere's. Two things changed recently in my Meniere's. I started having pressure and roaring tinnitus in my second ear, which is unnerving and scary to say the least. On the other hand, although my bad ear is tremendously full of pressure and tinnitus, my vertigo attacks have gone for 3 months. That is by far the longes episode since it started. However, the day to day vertigo is crippling. The disease is changing for me, I don't know whether it's for the better.

All the best!

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Good luck with Valacyclovir. I suggest you add any other supplements as well, like monolaurin, olive leaf extract. I also take a lot of Vit D , I like the Dr. Berg D3 with K2. I take the kitchen sink approach. :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. yellowboy

yellowboy Active Member

Jul 11, 2020
    I will follow this. My doc only prescribed 2 weeks of an antiviral, said if it didn't help in 2 weeks it wouldn't at all. It didn't.

4. Christian S

Christian S New Member

Oct 1, 2021
    So, here is my 7-8 week update.

Not much has changed. I have not had a severe vertigo attack for more than 4 months now. That is by far the longest stretch since I had had MD, which is 2 years. However, I cannot concretely credit this to the valaciclovir, because I had 2 months of no vomitting/extreme vertigo before I started. I dont know why my MD changed in its presentation, but it did. It is changing. That gives me hope. My hearing is bad, day to day vertigo is bad, but no clear MD attacks. My ''good'' ear feels off, I have tinnitus in it as well. I pray to every being out there it doesnt go to both ears. I have a feeling my good ear is trying to counter the bad one in some ways. When I put my hand on it, and push a finger in, I get quite dizzy. I think my brain is overloaded with the crap my ears send to it. I am wondering if my case of MD is due to a virus. I simply do not know. I do a mixture of the JOH protocol and the things JonBubo has been talking about. Lysine, B-vitamines, vitamined3/k2, etc etc. I think both those people have laid down their protocols, so there is no need for me to go into my personal lsit of supplements.

tldr
    Not much has changed. No severe vertigo attacks for 4 months. I will continue the valaciclovir for a year.

5. bee

bee New Member

Dec 29, 2023
    Hi Christian,
    I‘m glad to hear your vertigo is gone. At least.
    I am in the same situation. MD started 1.5 years ago, within I have had multiple sudden hearing losses, which always recovered but the last one 5 weeks ago. Since then my left ear is thick and my hearing is at 50%.
    1 week cortisone and 3 cortisone injections in the ear didn’t help.
    Now I started the antiviral acyclovir and on day 2 I had the feeling my ear was clearing and I hear better. Next day everything back to to the “bad” normal.
    My right ear is also affected with Tinnitus and the thick feeling, yet I still have full hearing.
    Now I was wondering if I should even continue with the antivirals or try JOH regimen. How are you doing?
    Thanks for your help