1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Started taking Nortriptlyine 10 mg. for head pressure/dizziness

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yanksgirl, Jul 30, 2014.

1. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Well, along with an anti-dep. and Xanax, not trying 10 mg. at bedtime of Nortriptyline. Anyone here taken this for the above symptoms? I was told by a Neurologist about 3 years ago and then another Neuro doc. agreed about 2 years ago, that the pressure in my head and lt headedness was due to Silent migraine syndrome--some here say MAV--but I don't have the Vertigo anymore. I tried the medication mentioned then but only 2 weeks and the side affects were not so good so stopped it.
    I decided to ask my internist about it and he said for me to give it a try again. So, last night was my first dose. Today my ears are ringing more--not overwhelming but very high pitched and both ears. Mild nausea and occasional 'really feeling dizzy' that passes. The pressure has actually seemed less today--so we'll see how I do with all these meds and maybe I can even back off one or more. It would be wonderful if this new one would ease the daily really bad problem of head pressure and feeling like I'm drugged. That is just such destruction of quality of life to deal with! Anyone here ever taken this drug and for the same reason? Thanks

2. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I started on 10mg a few months ago and my oto upped it gradually, I'm now at 30mg. Fingers crossed, we might be onto something. I'll update in a new post ;)

3. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Good, I'd really be interested in how you are doing. Is that the only medication you are on and do you have the head pressure/and dizzy feeling daily to the point of feeling 'drugged'? And do you have vertigo too? I don't have vertigo. If you do and it even helps that, it would be good news for many folks to hear about. Thanks for your reply

4. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I created a new post about "3+ years and may not be Meniere's" last night -- details are there.

I recently also started taking Verapimil (sp?) and it also seems to make a big difference. I am now not getting nearly the intensity of the head/ear pressure nor that drugged and dizzy feeling. Those things can still come and go but they are now more like a 3 at worst (on a scale of 1-10, 10 being terrible) compared to often being pretty close to 10 prior to these new meds.

I had two clusters of vertigo attacks, one set in the first few weeks of MM/MAV onset (2011) and another smaller and slightly less intense couple of attacks about 6 months ago.

5. bill

bill New Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Ormond Beach
    The random " head pressure", like diving under water, is phantom, and is one of the hardest
    things for me to ignore. For a long time I kept trying to "clear" it, but once I learned from
    Mayo Clinic that it wasn't real, I can ignore it until Meclizine kicks in.

Sorry you are going through this, but you might as well enjoy the ride cause it varies and I
    am pretty sure it ain't going away.

6. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014