1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.
scott tom

1 year on Valtrex (antivirals)

1. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Yours truly lost his insurance and my valtrex script went from 10 to 320 a month so I haven't taken it for a few weeks now. Fortunately, I'll be able to get it a bit cheaper until my insurance kicks back in. ;)

That said, the last two weeks I've been able to tell that my hearing in my bad ear had gotten worse, the tinnitus louder, and I'm a bit "fuzzier" than after I started taking the antiviral. Or so it seems. As I always state, correlation isn't causation, and I'm always the first person to state that there isn't any known reason that causes Menieres but I do find it interesting. Of course, given I lost my job and the insurance it could be I'm just more stressed out than usual. Also,the weather where I live has been bouncing around like a kangaroo after drinking ten Red Bulls so ... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    [QUOTE="less dysequilibrium so I can exercise and dance"[/QUOTE]

I forgot ... dance like no one is watching. I probably dance better with the constant swaying about. :)

3. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Thanks for your input! I like your ‘I dunno’ emoji! And I agree, it is so hard that the disease is so unpredictable. Association is not necessarily causation, for sure. So I read and research, try my little experiments on myself, and then try to do some gentle living. I’m definitely at risk of driving myself batty!

4. justsaiyan

justsaiyan Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Hey everyone,

It's good te read all these positive results, I'm going to see my GP on monday in the hopes he'll prescribe me the ant-virals.

I'm not super hopefull on the results though, because I've read in the study the longer you have had Menières the less chance of it working or does this only apply to hearing recovery? (I'm talking about the Gracek study).

Kind regards.

5. justsaiyan

justsaiyan Member

Feb 23, 2018
    I had 1 other question when it comes to Valacyclovir. In the first posts it says take 3000mg for six months, yet in the study it says for 3 weeks. I'm kind of confused about the dosage now. What are most of you on?

I'm going to see my GP tomorrow so I need qome general guidelines so I know what to ask for. Thank you!

6. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I'm going to try to trade up my mylan-valacyclovir for brand name Valtrex. I'll let you know if my pharmacist will let me do the trade...

7. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I think the study was 3 weeks at that dose, but some people here got a good response, but when tapering had flareups so maybe that's the guideline. I just started about a week ago, so don't have my own experience yet.

8. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    PS my wonderful pharmacist let me do the trade! I’ve been on Valtrex for 2 weeks, and seem to have fewer less severe vertigo. My disequilibrium is less the last 2 days. Tinnitus is loud.

I’ve been on holiday, and I’m scared that my return to art school in a week will shake things up.

9. Gabriel of France

Gabriel of France New Member

Mar 4, 2019
    Hello, I am Gabriel, I am french. I am new here. I test valtrex since chrismas (3g 3 weeks, then decrease 2g 4 weeks...), and I have good response after 5 weeks. But is it 3000mg per day for 6 month??? I think it is too much? no? Can you explain me please?

10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Bienvenu Gabriel! Les trois semaines de valtrex a 3 gm - l’etude de Gacek.

Ok back to anglais! Some people find that if the valtrex works, when they start lowering the dose (as Gaceks study does) they flare up so stay on the higher dose for longer.

I’m down to 1 gram a day. I’m not sure if the valtrex made a huge difference for me or not. But it’s worth a try. I’m going to stay on it until I get treated with gentamicin shots or a surgery.

11. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    I started taking Acyclovir after about a year of trying everything else and after about 3 mos i started feeling better and the Vertigo Attacks stopped but tinnitus still there but quieter. Fast forward 16 mos after a trip to Minnesota everything came rushing back vertigo, fullness, loud ringing my world crashed around me. I immediately went back up to 3000mg a day and I've been that way for a month now with daily episodes. All I can figure is my pharmacy switched me over to CAMBER from MYLAN which was the brand I took the whole time i was in remission. I talked to the pharmicist and he is ordering me the MYLAN and exchanging what i have I'm praying that is what it was. Very down and disheartened now I was so good for so long.

12. Gabriel of France

Mar 4, 2019
    Thanks anne! Still, I am a little lost. I will stay at 1.5gr per day and wait 4 months before making a real opinion. It's nice to chat with the usa;)

13. Gabriel of France

Mar 4, 2019
    Je voudrais dire aussi que je vais tout faire pour améliorer mon système immunitaire. Je pense que ca doit aider.

14. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    J’habite a Canada , mais oui, cest bien a parler avec vous - void etes a la France?

15. Gabriel of France

Mar 4, 2019
    [QUOTE = "AnneT, post: 78185, member: 94"] J'habite à Canada, mais oui, c'est bien à parler avec vous et à la France? [/ QUOTE]
    Yes I live at Grenoble, a town next to the french alpes. and you?

16. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Calgary. Though I grew up in Vancouver, and studied in Montreal.

17. Gabriel of France

Mar 4, 2019
    Ah ok, and do you have tested antiviral therapy? many effects?

18. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I started valtrex in December after months of 2-3 vertigo attacks per week. I also started some supplements, and got Daith piercings for migraines at the same time. I did better for a month.

Then it got bad again, once I was back at art school. Then I quit school (for now) because I had a bad attack while driving, so I’ve quit driving until I can get this treated surgically.

I’ve been off alcohol for 2 years, caffeine and chocolate for a few months.

All this to say... I really don’t know what causes my flare ups, and what contributes to good days. I think my biggest triggers are weather changes, stress, salty restaurant food, and anything that triggers migraine. So I don’t think my Menieres is virus caused, but I’m sure some people’s Menieres is caused by a virus and responds well to antivirals.

I’m now also on diamox (acetozolamide).

19. Gabriel of France

Mar 4, 2019
    moi aussi j'ai utilisé diamox, mais j'ai eu des crises néphrétiques. J'ai aussi été opéré en 2016, et je n'ai pas eu de bénéfices. Le chirurgien à isolé l'aqueduc vestibulaire avec des pinces. J'ai beaucoup souffert. Egalement comme toi, j'ignore les causes de la maladie. Sans doute l'anxiété et d'ailleurs l'anxiété est très mauvaise pour le système immunitaire. Je pense que dans mon cas c'est un virus mais je n'ai pas de preuves. En effet j'ai eu une paralysie faciale il y a 15 ans. je prends du valtrex depuis noel. globalement j'ai moins de plénitude mais les acouphènes sont horribles. Si ça continue je vais devoir reprendre un anti déprésseur. Bientôt je verrai un infectiologue pour voir la dose de valtrex et faire des tests. Cette maladie est un cancer qui ne dit pas son nom.

20. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Je suis fatigue avec Diamox. Je pense que j’arrete.

It sounds like you had one of the sac surgeries?

And that you have Bell’s palsy- or some other cause of facial nerve paralysis?

I agree, Menieres is like cancer, except the bad thing is that it doesn’t kill us! Ha.