1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

A list of foods that 'trigger' bad side effects for Meniere patients

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by yanksgirl, Jan 12, 2016.

1. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    A friend was given this list of foods to avoid if you have Migraines or symptoms of Meniere's! This is from an Ent Dept in a local hospital and the Ent Department: Wonder what you all think and have you been told to follow this strict diet?

I will have to give up most everything I eat if I follow this. My doctor said to 'cut back' on salt, did not mention any of these. This is a portion of that list of foods to avoid.
    Herring;Chocolate; Vinegar (except white), Anything fermented (pickled or marinated), Sour Cream, yogurt, Nuts, Peanut butter, seeds, Sunflower, sesame, pumpkin, etc.

Hot fresh breads, raised coffee cakes, raised doughnuts,--but these are permitted if they are allowed to cool. Toast is permitted!!

Any food containing large amounts of monosodium glutamate(MSG), Chinese foods
    Onions, canned foods, citrus food: no more than one servicng per day--orange, grapefruit or glass of orange juice
    No more than 1/2 half a banana
    Raisins, Papayas, pizza, excessive Teas, coffee and cola beverages--no more that 2 cups total a day!
    Avocado, fermented Sausage: Processed meats such as bologna, salami, pepperoni, summer sausage, hot dogs and ham
    Chicken Livers.

2. Sharon406

Sharon406 Member

Mar 29, 2015
    I have seen this list before and gave up every bit of it and still get dizzy and ear fullness. I only drink water and use rice milk, no dairy. I lost 23 lbs (I currently only weigh 115). I never did eat Chinese, processed meats or drink coffee so the diet has been the easiest part of Ménière's treatment for me. I had hoped it would help me determine if I have MAV but after months of doing it now still not sure.

3. Vicki

Vicki Guest

the list in our DB under the MAV thread. But the above list in first post leaves out foods high in arginine for MM.

4. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014
    Vicki, do you attribute your 'symptom free' condition to the anti-virals or the dietary restrictions you follow? Or both? Just curious. I can't imagine doing without all the things on this list--or even being able to due to how foods are prepared in restaurants, etc. Maybe at home but not out--or else, don't go out at all. But--if it rids one of all symptoms, it would be worth a try.

5. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Both since I have mm and Mav but not everyone has the same triggers and have different thresholds. The toughest for me is I have a lot more food restrictions than just for mm and Mav. I have food allergies. Glucose intolerance. LActose intolerance. Cholesterol issues. I joke and say. Just feed me through a tube.

6. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    My doctor gave me a list like this too. He said he's finding that Menieres's patients also have a history of migraine. There's a lot on this list I don't eat, but chocolate has been almost impossible to say goodbye to. I'm also addicted to avocados, but they don't seem to be a problem for me.

I've been keeping a food journal lately and I think shrimp might be a trigger for me. Even if I have one or two pieces of shrimp, I will spin the next day. I know shrimp has a lot of sodium, but I didn't think a couple of pieces would do any harm.

7. yanksgirl

yanksgirl Member

May 12, 2014

8. Earwig

Earwig New Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Thank you, Yanksgirl, for this thread. I've been wondering why there is so little discussion of food limitations. I found out about most of this list through trial and error. Most of it gives me vertigo and vomiting, so it kind of takes the joy out of eating it. I'm also losing weight and wondering if/when I'll ever get to enjoy many of my favorite foods again. Almost impossible to eat out. Seems like I eat mostly chicken and rice and vegetables. I'm guessing many people on this forum are able to eat without restrictions? Consider yourselves lucky!

9. Vicki

Vicki Guest

earwig if you search the forums you should find many threads about food and their triggers as well in our DB.

10. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Earwig- I'm not eating what I want. What I want is a big bag of Doritos, extra large fries with cheese curds and gravy, and a filet o'fish. Oh- and a few cups of coffee per day would be great. I'd be spinning for years if I ate what I wanted. It's a huge bummer. I hate it and resent it. But I manage.

11. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    Cjbeau, just curious but have you been tested for food allergies?

12. jaypr

jaypr Member

May 12, 2014
    liverpool uk
    Don't forget alcohol particularly dark drinks or fermented. They played havoc with me as they are quite heady.

Also on the food list be careful of anything that is high in tyramine.

13. Nickyschick

Nickyschick Member

May 13, 2015
    Sodium is a definate trigger for me. I went 10 months without an attack and even though I was trying to be good around the holidays - just a taste here and just a taste there of everything ( even turkey) pushed me over the top.... So this list is pretty accurate in my life.... I buy unsalted trail mix, unsalted chips, don't drink alcohol or caffeine - I make my own salad dressing - balsamic and apple cider vinegars are OK to use - I make a great one using a spicy mango mustard, honey mustard, cider vinegar, honey and water and its tangy and delicious and 3/4 of the sodium of dressing in a bottle.....

AND - I too miss DORITOS!!! LOL - AND PIZZA!!!! My bf DID make me a low sodium pizza from scratch that to me tasted like heaven... If anyone else has sodium as a trigger I suggest the cookbook " 500 Low Sodium recipes" - lots of good ideas in there....

14. Cjbeau

Cjbeau Member

Apr 8, 2015
    nroper- I've never had food allergy testing done, but I've been thinking about it.. I was 100% healthy before all of this Meniere's nonsense started.

Nickyschick- I eat pizza! I make my own dough in the bread machine, use the lowest sodium pizza sauce I can find, fresh mozzarella cheese and tons of veggies. If I'm feeling daring I even put low sodium black olives on it. Delicious! I think I used the pizza dough recipe from the 500 recipes book.

15. nroper

nroper Member

Dec 1, 2015
    Western Oklahoma
    The pizza sounds wonderful! I will check it out