1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

A Question About The Antiviral Poll(s)

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by EkkoMusic, Aug 2, 2021.

1. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Hi all,

I’m running a poll on antivirals on Reddit, inspired by Papajoe’s poll in this forum several years ago. I’m a bit confused as the results so far are contrary to the data that was polled here.

The Reddit poll is ongoing and will change, but the current tallies are:
    • Two users report significant relief of symptoms.
    • One user reports some relief of symptoms.
    • Nine users report no difference at all in taking an antiviral.
    In comparison, Papajoe’s poll yielded these results:
    • Fifteen users report significant relief in symptoms.
    • One user reports some relief of symptoms.
    • Four users report no difference at all in taking antivirals.
    While neither poll uses controlled methods to collect data on antiviral effectiveness, I find the disparity in results thus far nonetheless disconcerting, and a point for discussion. I will try to update this thread when the final results are tallied at the end of the week.

What do you all make of this?

2. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Weird. The comments on the Reddit thread make it sound like more people than 3 have found relief. I did a poll on this site years ago to compare all the different non-surgical treatments and AV's came out on top if I remember right.

Anyway, I am a Famvir guy :) and proud of it!

• Like Like x 1
  3. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Thanks Donamo! I'm also on Famivir—currently on day 14! Hard to say what it's doing so far, but I've definitely had more weird days as well as more good days than usual while on it. So, I see it as stirring the pot.

Would love to find and see that poll you did as well!

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    I think it got "disappeared" in one of the software transitions

5. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    The reason I chose Famvir was that The House ENT in California was going to do a proper double blind study on AVs and that is the one they chose. We were all quite excited about it but it was cancelled due to lack of funding. However I thought if that's the one they like, that's the one I will try. Actually I've had them all and can't really tell the difference except perhaps less of an effect with Acyclovir but that could just be a mental bias.

6. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    Absolutely! I go to the House Ear Clinic so wasn't surprised when they prescribed me Famciclovir as their antiviral of choice when I requested antiviral treatment. I believe Dr. Derebery has pioneered its use over the other antivirals due to it being the best at passing the blood-brain barrier. From my understanding, Famciclovir is usually prescribed at lower doses because of this (for instance, my starting dose is 500 MG 2x day. I know for Acyclovir and Valacyclovir, Gacek starts at 1000 MG 3x day. But maybe I am wrong, and should be on a higher dose?)

I know one of Gacek's studies mentions he will switch a patient to Famciclovir if Valcicvlovir isn't working, so I wonder if the Gacek practice too will (or has) made a preferential switch to Famciclovir.

7. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Can I inquire please what dosage of olive leaf, monolaurin or oregano oil extract do you recommend to take and which one do you like best for results? I have been on JOH since '16 and a 'scrip antiviral since '17 and no longer suffer vertigo attacks (last one was summer of '18) but I would like to take breaks from the 'scrip sometimes and also like the idea of a broad spectrum attack on whatever virus I may have. Thank you for all the helpful advice. I check in here almost daily to see how everyone is doing and what information I might find to help.

8. April55

April55 Member

Aug 10, 2017
    Thank you so much for taking the time to explain your 'regimen'. I am printing it off so I can keep it handy to reference as I try to take a break from daily acyclovir I have taken steadily for so long.
    I have gotten more help from this board and JOH than I got from the doctors I have seen.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    How many of you guys benefited from AV drugs?

10. EkkoMusic

EkkoMusic Member

Jul 26, 2021
    It's a bit difficult to quantify that, but here, here, here, and here are some good testimonials.

11. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    Seems like some have excellent results. How many on this forum have tried those?

12. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Been working well for me.
    AV Success

13. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    What’s your dosage? My doctor gave Me 500 2x/day Valtrex.

14. Pa Cowboy

Pa Cowboy Member

Mar 17, 2019
    Valacyclovir, which is the generic for Valtrex, 1000 mg, 3 times a day.

15. Brian

Brian Member

Jun 20, 2021
    I saw that. I’m going to do 2000mg/day for at least two weeks then go back to his maintenance. I have 120 pills with 4 more refills of 60 pills per refill.

• Like Like x 1