1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

A question for my fellow Bilaterals

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by KaSchu, Nov 9, 2019.

1. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    After 27+ years with Meniere's in my "bad" right ear, Meniere's reared its ugly head in my formerly "good" left ear. The weird thing is that my triggers and even symptoms seem different with my left ear than my right. Has anyone else had this experience?

For example, my main triggers for years have been allergy related. I gave up caffeine years ago just in case, but I haven't watched my sodium intake for well over 15 years with no issues.

Since I've gone bilateral, though, sodium and even alcohol are really affecting me. I don't know if it's age related (I'm 50 now and was diagnosed at age 23) or if each ear is actually triggered by different things.

Any thoughts?

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I went bilateral 15 years after original diagnosis. Strangely enough, original diagnosis was endolymphatic hydrops (right ear) and now my left ear diagnosis is cochlear hydrops so it's only affecting the hearing sans balance issues. Thankful not to be having violent vertigo attacks and drop attacks this go around. Still have tinnitus on both sides, though. 'Tis a strange beast indeed. FWIW, my original diagnosis was at 36; bilateral at 52.

3. 911Timo

911Timo New Member

Sep 3, 2019
    West Palm Beach FL
    My right ear started acting up when I was 16 and I was quickly diagnosed with meniers. My left ear started acting up around 2003 and like you “notice” for the attack was different from right to left. Also duration of the attacks is been different. My right ear hearing was already pretty bad by time meniers also started to effect the left side so I been wearing hearing aids on both ears since 2005 I think. I’m 52 now. So yes both ears have had somewhat individual “personalities “ if that makes sense.