1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

A question for my friends on antivirals

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Kevinb003, Feb 7, 2019.

1. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I have been on Acyclovir 800mg, twice daily since August 2018. I have experienced good success with this in addition to taking L-Lysine and Betahistine. My current diagnosis is cochlear hydrops in my left ear. In 2013, I had a laby in my right ear after suffering with endolymphatic hydrops for nine years.

My question to the antiviral folks is this: Do you experience setbacks? I was doing really well and symptom free then all of a sudden in the past two weeks my symptoms have been horrible. I can't even participate in work conference calls because of the distortion and pitch shifting (can't even recognize my coworkers voices). Doc put me on a course of oral steroids this past Monday, but I'm not seeing any help there.

Any responses are much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Kevin

2. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, i did. Over time, years, they became farther apart and less severe. Also limit caffeine if you dont already. Good luck, stay optimistic.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Thanks, June...your reply gives me optimism. :)

4. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    I’ve only been on valtrex since December. I was vertigo free for about a month, then a week of daily vertigo (during barometric chaos and indulging in Thai food), and now it’s calmer. My tinnitus is still loud, and I’m still off balance but maybe a bit better.

Not much experience to offer you but there it is.

• Like Like x 1
  5. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    I have been on A/Vs for 2 years now and I was symtom free for 18 months. For me, relapses have been traced to two distinctly different reasons: (1) I received a different generic than my normal NorthStar generic and when I returned to NorthStar I quickly started feeling better, and (2) I fell off the discipline of taking the pills and for a few months only averaged 1000mg per day. My maintenance dose is 2000mg. Once I began regularly taking 2000mg, I quickly recovered.

I have been living with this beast for 29 years now. This disease is so frustrating and quirky that these lapses may just be the disease running its course and the periods of good health may have nothing to do with the A/Vs. Having said that, I will NEVER stop taking the A/Vs.

Best of luck to you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Fisherman42

Fisherman42 Active Member

Sep 5, 2014
    Illinois
    Hi guys, was going to put up a post until I found this thread. I am going through a relapse myself right now I've been fine for almost 2yr after going on antivirals my life had completely returned to normal and then yesterday i fell off the horse. Disheartening as it is I am reminded that I am living with a disease that I have no control over and I still must persevere. I get my antivirals from CVS and they are constantly changing the generic and I think I'm into my new batch right now so I might have to get them to go back to the last AV I've been using. Upped my dosage for now to see If I can beat the beast back into its cage glad I'm not alone. Sounds like Teesdale is going through what I am I'll try to update more as to whether my symptoms recede. Strength to all.

• Like Like x 1