1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

After 3+ years of this, I might not have Meniere's after all?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by PleaseNoDizzy, Jul 30, 2014.

1. PleaseNoDizzy

PleaseNoDizzy Active Member

May 12, 2014
    So it's all sort of puzzling, but I am encouraged right now because ***fingers crossed*** we may have found some relief for me from the symptoms. I'll try to keep this brief.

My symptoms had a sudden onset in May 2011. Ear fullness, tinnitus, and several bad bouts of vertigo all in the first few weeks. I am married to an ENT who at the time was still in residency. He was sort of in denial that I could possibly have MM, he thought it must be labyrinthitis (sp?) or something similar. He got me in to see the head of the dept (this was at a top oto program) and along with all my symptoms and an audiogram that showed hearing loss in the low frequencies, the MM diagnosis seemed the most likely (MRI ruled out other stuff, etc etc). Two years later we moved to Boston for a year, where I saw Dr Rausch and he concurred with the original diagnosis. There was really no reason to think otherwise.

Meanwhile my symptoms, which initially fluctuated, became more and more frequent. During our year in MA, the tinnitus went from intermittent to constant. Also my balance took a big hit and I began having lots of dizzy (not full vertigo) episodes. During that time I'd also had a baby at the beginning of the move, and while things got a bit better during pregnancy, it all went downhill after delivering.

After the year in Boston, we moved a final time to where my husband has started a practice with several others. I have been seeing a new (to me) neuro-otologist here who has been puzzled by my case. He trained eons ago at the same residency program where my husband did, so he wasn't doubting the reliability of the diagnosis, but what he didn't understand was why my current audiograms show no real loss at all. It's like the low-tone loss was temporary, I am guessing lasted for the initial year, and then I regained what I lost. Meanwhile, the ear fullness episodes were becoming more frequent, lasting longer, and generally just getting worse. The tinnitus is still constant but has stabilized. The balance issues have gotten waaay worse. I had some return of vertigo too in the past 6 months, though it was different in nature than the original episodes.

Also during this year, he had me have blood draws and my kidneys were in distress, presumably from the diuretics I'd been on for 3 years so I had to stop those.

I've been seeing him every 6 weeks or so and he watched my symptoms complaints get worse and my hearing stay stable. He kept saying that if this was truly MM, the audiograms should be showing something by now, 3+ years in. He felt that my symptoms were more in line with vestibular migraine (which I believe is the same as MAV). I was doubtful because with the ear fullness being so extreme, from what I'd read about MAV it didn't seem as likely. I also have no headache history. But I was willing to try anything. (Incidentally, a few months earlier he gave me an intertympanic injection of steroids which did nothing). He put me on 10mg nortriptyline (sp?) at bedtime to be increased gradually to 30mg, also recommended I start the migraine diet to check for food triggers, and finally to start a Mg supplement. I tried the diet for a month and couldn't pinpoint triggers. 10mg and then 20mg did not do much for me, but I started to consistently feel somewhat better at 30mg. Nowhere near 100% but the fullness hasn't been quite as severe and is slightly less frequent. At my latest appt, he was encouraged by my progress (which I estimated at 20% better... the first time I wasn't worse since my previous appt). He has kept me at 30mg and added a prescription for 80mg Verapimil (sp?). I am still on the lo-so diet "just in case" for now -- there's always the chance I have both MM and MAV.

In his opinion, the way things are looking, I may have MAV instead of MM -- he also seemed to try to sell me on this being a better diagnosis, in that it's more easily treatable, and "attacks" don't leave permanent damage to hearing/balance as MM does. Time will tell, I guess. He's also explained that some people think MM and MAV are one and the same thing, with different symptoms being more prominent for different people. He said others in the field think MM and MAV are two sides of the same coin (whatever that might mean). He though thinks they are two distinct ailments, although some people can have both.

So since adding the new Rx, I am feeling a LOT better, but am cautiously optimistic that this could be one of those random MM remissions (that being said, I haven't had this kind of relief, for this long a period, since the first few months of illness). I am still not 100%, but most days I feel at least 80% and there's even been a few days, or parts of days, where (ignoring the tinnitus) I am pretty darn close to 100. Most days, I start to go slightly downhill in late afternoon, and at my last appt he said if that happens, we'd discuss either upping the dose of Rx#2 and/or starting to take it in the morning rather than at night. I do run really low blood pressure naturally, so we have to be careful with that one.

Just wanted to share my story, so far, here on this forum in case anyone sees themselves in a similar situation with symptoms and hasn't considered MAV yet.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    That's wonderful, I hope it's just MAV.

Best of luck to you.

3. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    That would be great if this continues to work out for you! Hopefully you have found your answer. :)

My situation sounds really close. I have wondered about MAV but my oto blows it off and says migraines wouldn't have anything to do with my ear problems and that he is very confident that I have a-typical menieres.I might try to find someone who will let me explore MAV but so far the first otot and neurologists that I have tried are booked for months! I may just have to suck it up and wait for one of those appointments.

Anyway, I am extremely fortunate to not have vertigo (knock on wood). But like you have really bad ear fullness/roaring. I have low freq hearing loss but it has not changed from my first hearing test March 2013 to my most recent one June 2014. Like you I felt considerably better during pregnancy and now 14 weeks PP I am feeling miserable. My ear has been extremely full feeling and roaring nonstop for 11 weeks. Way worse than before getting pregnant. My doctor thinks when I stop nursing I may improve so I am about to start weaning my son. He in no way recommended that I stop, I have come to this decision on my own. I am just miserable.

Sorry that was really long winded. Basically you gave me some hope that I also might have relief with MAV treatments. I was always doubtful because of my bad ear fullness.

4. Bella

Bella Member

Jul 16, 2014
    Make sure you get yourself on a cancellation call list. I've been called in before b/c of a cancellation. :)

5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Nothing like a second opinion for a fresh perspective. I hope this diagnosis brings you relief.

6. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    PleaseNoDizzy - I also typically run lower with my blood pressure. For me, especially in the morning. With that, when I was first diagnosed with Meniere's I went on the low sodium diet; my doctor actually told me two weeks in at a follow up checkup to discontinue it because my bp that morning was like 90/60.

Perhaps with your bp running low you could do a trial where you go back to sodium in your diet and see how you feel?
    Also, assume they are testing, but perhaps make sure that your potassium levels are in the normal range and not too low - that can cause lightheadedness too.

Good luck.