1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Alternative to sodium salt.

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by IvanA, Jun 24, 2020.

1. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    There is an alternative to common salt called sodium-free salt. It is actually potassium chloride and can be poured over meals, it tastes similar.

I am eating almost salt-free, but when I eat food that I like "salty" I use this salt without sodium. It is not recommended to abuse it either, high amounts of potassium are bad for the kidneys. However, I have read on some occasion that for Meniere it is recommended to lower the sodium intake and increase the potassium intake. So I think, in moderation, that this sodium-free salt may be good for relieving symptoms.

Salt substitute - Wikipedia

• Like Like x 1
  2. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    The other day I found a type of salt that is a mixture of common salt (39%) with potassium chloride (61%). I still eat many without any salt, but now I use this mixture since I can add 2g and sodium would only take 780mg.

3. Hickspanic

Hickspanic Member

Jan 31, 2022
    My doctor told me stay away from potassium chloride, said it's chemically the same as salt.

4. Gman

Gman New Member

Aug 24, 2022
    While we cannot go totally salt free, I have taken to flavoring up foods with a mix of fresh and dried herbs, lemon and lime juice, fresh cracked pepper and olive oil. I cannot rid my diet totally of salt, but I have become more aware of processed foods and have been cooking long enough to have learned less is more when it comes to salt, opting for more robust flavors that fresh and dried herbs as well as non processed foods can offer in the right combinations.