1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Antivirals and fullness

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Rebecca, May 19, 2020.

1. Rebecca

Rebecca Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I''ve read threads on here where some were saying stopping the antiviral meds helped to lesson the fullness in the ear. I've had MM for over 20 years. Low sodium, low sugar, no caffeine, very little alcohol, and taking a water pill, after a couple years, and for 10-12 years seemed to help keep me from vertigo and extreme fullness. Over the past year and half the fullness, pressure, brain fog, headaches, sometimes ear aches has gotten worse. At this time, it never goes away. Once in a while I have a day or a few hours of a day where It is a little more tolerable and I feel a "little" relief. ENT started me on Betahistine several months ago which I have to purchase from Canada. It doesn't really seem to be helping, but I'm afraid to stop for fear the tinnitus I'm now experiencing in other ear might be MM, and it "might" be keeping me from having full on spinning vertigo. ENT sent me to UC Davis in Sacramento CA to a doc that specializes in Otolaryngology (ENT/Ears, Nose, Throat), Otology/Neurotology, Otolaryngology ... I completed all the testing, VNG - CT Scan - MRI - hearing test. I spoke to him about the possibility of shunt surgery and a little about MAV and he said I could see one of their docs to see if MAV is a possibility. But, when I told him my fullness and pressure and feeling off balance is constant and a real problem for me having any type of life, he said I could consider the surgery. He doesn't do the shunt part because he feels it poses more risk and about 75% of the docs that are doing this surgery now feel they are getting the same results without the added risks for possible facial nerve damage or brain leakage and infection. He did explain to me that his 70 to 80% success with this surgery is based on vertigo. He doesn't have stats for the other MM symptoms relief, such as fullness and pressure. He said he can not guarantee they would be relieved, but, that the surgery could do that. Anyway, after 2 45 min to hour long visits discussing all this, I scheduled the surgery for June 1. After reading 4 or 5 posts on this forum of people who had bad experiences with the surgery, I'm pretty scared to go through with it. Going through surgery and having it not work is one thing. Having it make me worse is really scary. Sorry this is so long.... What peaked my interest was a couple people mentioning they think the antivirals made their fullness worse. So, I'm asking if there is more information on this? Or, are there people on here that had the sac surgery that good results to balance the negative posts??

2. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    Out of curiosity, how much sugar to you consume each day?

I had the same fear as you - if I stopped taking my pills, would the Ménière's spread to my other ear? I don't have an answer for that. But I'd ask my doctor about dropping the pills for a little bit, just to see what'll happen. You can always start your pills again…. you can't undo a surgery.

3. Daniel.E

Daniel.E New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    MM is caused by a virus!?? Why take antivirals for MM? Latest studies show that MM is caused by a malfunction of the endolymphatic pressure valve (Bart valve).
    I don't take water pills anymore and I don't see a difference.
    I take B5 & B6, I think they help.
    If you are looking for a permanent solution why not gentamicin instead of surgery?

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Member

May 17, 2014
    Why take antivirals for MM?

Because large numbers of people who have done this, without the complications of an injection, have gained profound relief.

Personally, I devised a regimen of several over the counter supplements, led primarily by the amino acid lysine, which is a herpes virus replication inhibiter. For over a dozen years, now, I've been free of Meniere's symptoms. I have over 250 personal reports from others who have gained relief from the components of this regimen.

--John of Ohio

5. Daniel.E

Daniel.E New Member

Jan 28, 2020
    Thank you for your reply and your help!
    I take 1000mg lysine and a B complex, I think it helps, but I’m not 100% sure. What kind of antivirals, valtrex? I asked my ent to prescribe me an antiviral, but my blood tests did not show that my body was fighting a virus..

6. IvanA

IvanA Member

Apr 30, 2020
    In my country AVs are sold without a prescription, but they cost $ 60 for 15 days, with a prescription they should cost 80% less. For now I am going to try the JOH regimen, Vit B complex and Monolaurin. If it doesn't work or it works halfway, I'll try to convince my doctor.

BTW, AVs are for herpes and you don't need to be prescribed an ENT, you can ask a general doctor too.

7. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Antivirals and allergy treatment took away the fullness as well as about every other symptom for me. I was treated by Dr Derebery of House Ear Clinic in LA. All i can say is I regained my hearing and lost a host of other miserable symptoms with her treatment.