1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Antivirals - Is it too late start?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Susan Weaver, May 22, 2019.

1. Susan Weaver

Susan Weaver New Member

Nov 27, 2015
    Western Massachusetts
    I've had cochlear hydrops (no vertigo) off and on for 6 years. One attack, then 2 year remission, 8 attacks then 6 month remission, then 1 attack and a 1 year remission, and now again my first attack in a year. Is it too late to go the anti-viral route? Do they need to be started earlier in the progression?

2. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Search for discussions about the Dr. Gacek study here. I don’t know if he had new or long-standing patients in his study - I suspect both. From what I remember, those whose hearing was better, seemed to get more benefits from the antivirals than those whose hearing was already moderately severe or worse.

3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Not too late. Try it in hopes that it does not progress to vertigo or greater hearing loss. It stopped the progression dead in its tracks for me. While sooner is bettEr, there have been people here who were helped after 18 years. Dont guess, try and find out the answer. Good luck.

btw, i had/have cochlear hydrops and they helped me enormously.