1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Any opinions on these weird ear problems?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by meemil, Oct 27, 2019.

1. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hi!

I'm a 21 year old musician/sound engineer and living a very confusing part of my life. Basically, I think this is not menieres yet, but I'm scared.

Last year, around same time in October, I had just moved to a new city for studies and had a sudden hearing loss in my LEFT ear on mid frequencies (no acoustic trauma or anything). I had done some quick research and got to doctor next day (still had the hearing loss). I was prescribed a regime of methylprednisolon 64 mg for few days and tapering 32mg for the rest of the medicine. I had a pretty much 100% recovery in hearing and didn't think of it too much afterwards.

In 2 weeks after recovery, I had a small similar episode this time in my RIGHT ear, same mid to high frequency and it wasn't as bad and it last only 1h. Weird. After this episode I've had following episodes with strangely exact pattern:

4 weeks normal then right ear, duration 1h and mid frequency
    6 weeks normal then right ear, duration 1h and mid frequency
    8 weeks normal then right ear duration ~40min and mid frequency

after these episodes, I moved to my parents place in another city for summer job and had no episodes the entire summer! whole 13 weeks normal, and right after moving back to the city where i continue my studies, in 2 weeks had some small ear fullness in my right ear.

Yesterday however, 26.10. I had a bad episode in my right ear again, tinnitus, ear fullness and this time huge low frequency loss, which lasted for +6 hours

I have had NO vertigo attacks or dizziness, but I still feel like I should take action before things go whack and I compromise my hearing.

Thanks so much!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  2. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    You definitely need to see a doctor about this, and let's hope you find one who takes you seriously and doesn't just dismiss your symptoms.

The hearing loss associated with Meniere's generally starts in the lower ranges. Tinnitus and a feeling of pressure are symptoms of Meniere's. There may or may not be dizziness or vertigo in the beginning.

Keep us posted about what you find out.

3. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Hi, thanks for the reply!

I did visit ENT yesterday, and have MRI and few other tests scheduled in few months. I'm just thinking if I should find a doctor that would prescribe anti-virals? All of this begun shortly after a bad flu.

4. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Definitely try the antivirals if you can, although finding a doctor to prescribe them might be easier said than done because many doctors aren't open to the antiviral treatment for Meniere's. (if that's the dx you get.) Did your ENT give you any idea of whether or not this is Meniere's?

Meanwhile, you always have the option to try the non-rx things mentioned here, if you are comfortable with that.

I was dx'd at age 20, after three years of being told that my problem was "anxiety". I wish you all the best.

5. meemil

meemil New Member

Oct 27, 2019
    Yeah, sounds reasonable. Public health care doctors are very strict with regimes here in Finland as well.
    By non rx things, do you mean the natural approaches? I was actually thinking of trying L-lysine and high dose C-vitamin.

The ENT was quite clueless and didn't straight up diagnose it yet. She just called it 'hydrops' as it's missing the balance problems found in meniere's.

I tried narrowing the trigger down and can think of 2 main reasons:
    a) Infection, as the flu that happened earlier to ear problems, also left a very weird rash all over my upper body. Doctors have no diagnosis on that either and we're trying different creams for that.

b) Allergies. It feels like I was getting better when stayed away from the enviroment in this city. Especially my school supposedly has mold problems and bad indoor air quality.

I also grind teeth but don't really have painful jaw so not thinking of TMJ, but I'm also visiting a dentist soon.

How did your problems begin and what kind of treatments did you receive?
    Thanks!

6. wendy

wendy Member

May 18, 2019
    My symptoms began with fullness in the ear, lower range hearing loss and tinnitus. I did not have balance issues initially but I did have two episodes of vertigo in the first year. Then I went a year with no vertigo before it came back with a vengence. This started in 2008 and I did not know about JOH at that time. I had the Streptomycin/steroid injections in 2010 and was basically functional until the end of last year when everything but full blown vertigo started up again. I stated Lysine, B5/B6 in May and have recently started Monolaurin. I also have taken a diuretic since 2009 and do the lemon bioflavinoids. I am hanging in there. Will probably add the Vitamin C next. Your rash is strange. Others have had success with betahistine. Is it available in Finland? Seems to be more readily prescribed by public health doctors.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Blakeh

Blakeh Active Member

Aug 20, 2016
    “You definitely need to see a doctor about this, and let's hope you find one who takes you seriously and doesn't just dismiss your symptoms.“

This is spot on. You need to see a doctor and get a diagnosis. This will definitely make it easier to get antivirals if you need them (Menieres diagnosis).

Just like you I saw ENT and had MRI along with Neuro and a few others before I was officially given a diagnosis by my ENT. I hope things get better for you, please keep us posted.

The hearing loss associated with Meniere's generally starts in the lower ranges. Tinnitus and a feeling of pressure are symptoms of Meniere's. There may or may not be dizziness or vertigo in the beginning.

Keep us posted!

8. California Sun

May 23, 2019
    Look up the thread "California Sun--Questions" Post #2 is a detailed description of my Meniere's history and I think it will answer many of your questions, and I will be happy to answer any other questions you have.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  9. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    Ent is not the right doctor for this. See a neurotologist or an otolaryngologist.