1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Anyone have success with Lemon Bioflavonoids and/or Vinpocetine?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by three4rd, Dec 27, 2017.

1. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Hi,

As per the "John of Ohio" regimen, I started taking the Bioflavonoids a bit more than 6 months ago and really felt things were going well. I have not had the frequent dizziness attacks that seemed to be coming more and more often. However, just the past few weeks it is just the opposite. It seems like I have varying degrees of dizziness and lightheadedness more often than not. I am considering adding another part of John's regimen, which would be the Vinpocetine. I know Lysine is part of the regimen also.

As a bit of background, I was diagnosed with "Atypical Meniere's" several years ago (the atypical designation being that, at the time anyway, I had classic Meniere's symptoms but no tinnitus). That all changed a year ago when I also started with tinnitus. To help with that (also with varying degrees of success), my local ENT suggested I get hearing aids that include a therapy channel that used random ocean waves sound. Admittedly, I don't wear them very often since I find that what usually happens is that I constantly wind up with domes full of wax that need to be changed often. The use of the therapy signal does help, but I think I've basically learned to live with the tinnitus regardless of how often I wear my aids. The aids are fine, but are also a bit of a hassle.

I'm really much more concerned with the dizziness episodes and am seriously thinking of seeing another physician...one that specializes much more in Otology and areas of the inner ear / balance / Menier's issues, etc. I had an appointment last winter with the guy I have in mind but then canceled it after I got the hearing aids. At the time, I was much more concerned about the tinnitus since it was a new and difficult thing to deal with.

My local ENT's only answer to the dizziness episodes was simply to prescribe triamterene. I used a few and felt absolutely horrible on them...worse then any dizziness episode I've ever had. So really no point discussing all this further with my current physician as I don't believe he has anything more to offer.

Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated.....

Regards,
    Keith

2. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I never got any use from them, but clearly some folks do! So it's worth a try.

Have you tried antivirals?

3. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    No...but I read your story. Great that it worked for you. Isn't the use of virals the same reason that John's regimen suggests using Lysine?

4. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    I suggest adding the lysine, as described here:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf

Lysine is the only thing in the regimen that directly suppresses herpes virus activity. The other things help suppress symptoms, but until the underlying herpes virus infection/inflammation in the inner ear is turned off, things won't improve.

Understand that lysine, as with prescription antiherpetics, can take several weeks or months to become effective. Persist.

And read the posted information on prescription antiherpetics. See if you can get a physician to prescribe such for you.

Keep us posted on our progress.

--John of Ohio

5. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Thanks John. Isn't the lysine, as suggested in the regimen, an over-the-counter product? You refer to it on the vita cost link. Or do you just suggest reading up on the antiherpetics simply for informational purposes?

6. mbgphoto79

mbgphoto79 Member

May 11, 2017
    Greensboro, NC
    You can get lysine almost anywhere, in a drug store or vitamin shop.

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Yes, and i take the max dose of lysine as well, because I'm currently taking a tiny maintenance dose of AVs. You must take lysine on an empty stomach for it to work.

8. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    That is one complicated, sad sentence. When I was 12 I'd never have imagined I'd be caring about such things. Everything ends in tragedy.

• Like Like x 1
  9. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Seriously? I mean, we're talking about the use of non-Rx supplements here...not the contemplation of jumping off a bridge!

10. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    The one thing that concerns me is the suggestion of a link between high amounts of lysine and possible kidney damage, increased cholesterol levels, and possible association with gallstones.

I believe I will consult with an Otologist I plan to visit as to starting on an anti-viral. I'm definitely interested in pursuing that option, actually moreso than consuming large dosages of lysine. My current ENT is fixated only on the use of diuretics. I tried what he prescribed (about a year ago) and felt terrible. Only took a few of them and then quit.

11. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Puppet...I didn't mean to come on so strong..I know exactly what you're referring to. Indeed, when we were that young, the world truly held a sense of innocence and immortality, and had such a non-threatening nature to it. Geez...at that age I lived in a row home in a medium-sized city in PA and we never even locked the doors at night. But, yeah, I get where you're coming from. I yearn for the days when I never heard of things like spasmodic dysphonia (another of my health issues), meniere's, tinnitus, etc. and all the accompanying medical jargon appropriate to each. It was great 'back in the day' when I used to wake up nearly every morning and actually feel really good. Can't say quite the same in recent years. So...if you're referring to a sort of desperation implied in the subject line you quoted, guess I have to say you're right.

12. Pupper

Pupper Active Member

Oct 15, 2016
    Yep. I was a kid in PA too. I remember my biggest problem was when my snowman always looked worse than my older brothers' snowmen. Remember making angels in the snow? Lying on your back looking up at the big blue sky with not a care in the world. Try that now and a giant lemon bioflavanoid comes crashing down on your face.

• Like Like x 1
  13. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Toxic amounts of lysine are far above the 4000 mg in the regimen.

For example, some sausages have about 2000 mg in a 7 oz serving. Have that twice a day and you’ve consumed 4000 mg of lysine. 3.5 oz of halibut has 1900 mg of lysine. Salmon has 1800 mg per 3.5 oz serving.

Lysine is a common, non-toxic amino acid found abundantly in many foods:
    http://www.traditionaloven.com/tutorials/l-lysine_amino_acid.html

Thousands of people take several grams of lysine to suppress cold sores and herpes infections, without complication.

14. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016

LOL

15. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    So you would definitely advise trying the lysine instead of vinpocetine as a next addition to the regimen?

16. John of Ohio

May 17, 2014
    Without lysine the regimen merely lowers the severity of some of the symptoms; it cannot stop the activity of the herpes infection in the inner ear or associated nerves.

Vinpocetine increases blood flow through the inner ear, thereby helping to clear excess fluids there, the hydrops or fullness symptom.

But that symptom is caused by the inflammation of the herpes virus. Lysine, alone in the regimen, binds to molecular sites in the virus, thereby complicating protein synthesis required for herpes replication. The lysine is the most important element of the regimen. Without it, relief is not likely to occur.

It's not an "instead" issue. It's "both," or better, "all."

17. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    I've never had a dizziness episode last so many days before. I think this is about the 3rd day in a row that I don't feel well.

18. Woodsrider

Woodsrider Member

Apr 16, 2017
    Three days in a row isn’t that bad compared to some people. I’ve had multiple episodes that were over a week long and others have it much worse. I think I would start looking for another doctor if it were me.

19. three4rd

three4rd Member

Apr 6, 2016
    Absolutely! I already have an appointment with one, and had all my records faxed over to them from my current ENT. I'm just dreading that he will want additional VNG testing. I can barely tolerate those tests. Had it done twice now and got sick both times. I can manage it until they do the warm air in the ear. I can't seem to take that. Hopefully the new guy can get what he needs from the previous testing, though probably not. I already have the ECoG test that confirmed (presumably?) the presence of Meniere's, so why run all those tests again?

20. fairjon

fairjon New Member

Aug 5, 2016
    Triamterene is a potassium-sparing diuretic so it can lead to potassium toxicity if you are also consuming a lot of potassium in foods and supplements.

There are other diuretics that can help without those side effects. I'm taking Acetazolamide which is a different class of diuretic. I'm also taking Lysine and the rest of the John of Ohio regimen.