1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Apparently I do Have Menieres

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by merlin007, Jun 25, 2020.

1. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Hi All

So ENT says I do have menieres even though my hearing is ok.

My main complaint is the low pitch tinnitus.

I was taking betastine and stopped as I ran out and my mood plummeted. Does anyone know if betastine has withdrawal symptoms.

Also, has anyone recovered from low pitch tinnitus.

And lastly what is the best anti-depressent, im on amitripolene.

2. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Hi merlin
    On one hand it’s good you know what beast you are dealing with, on the other Meniere’s sucks whatever you say. Nevertheless we have to learn to live with it.
    I have always had good hearing and considering the number of attacks I used to have, I should be deaf now but I am not. What is more my hearing is really good.
    Betahistine made no difference to me whatsoever and one day I just stopped taking it. And as for tinnitus, it’s always present. Sometimes low pitched sometimes high pitched, but it’s there. Another thing to get used to and live with it.
    All the best to you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    Thanks for the reply.

Do you take anything for anxiety?

4. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I took alprazolam, but that "shit" did not take away my anxiety, it caused a very strange sensation of being very tired; but unable to fall asleep because my nerves were punched in the chest.

Diazepam worked better for me, in fact when I started with this they prescribed it to me first to avoid vertigo and later because I had contractures in my back. I took it almost a whole month, because since this nightmare started I was only really well, like before getting sick, when I had been on Diazepam for 20 days. So I had to stop taking it and after 3-4 days the dizziness returned.

From what I read, diazepam is a vestibular sedative so even if it malfunctions being sedated it would not send the wrong signals to my brain. The problem is that you cannot live with diazepam for life because it generates addiction and you need higher and higher doses for it to work. All in all, my doctor told me that I could take it if I became anxious or ill. But I decided to take off all the medications of this type, for some reason I felt that they were doing more damage to my ear than good (maybe it was a negative placebo effect) and after about 10 days very bad, my mood improved a little and I started to sleep 7-9 hours without taking anything. Before, I took alprazolam to sleep and woke up fatal after 3-4 hours.

On the other hand, not being drugs to really cure me. There was no point in taking them when vertigo, dizziness and headaches were the side effects, which were the three symptoms I already had. How will I know if what I have is from the disease or from those medications? So I left them, so at least I knew what I was feeling was from the disease.

When I told this to my ENT doctor, he told me that if my head hurt again, I should take ibuprofen. Because I was not taking anything for it either, among other things because I read that it was ototoxic and at that time I was afraid to take anything that could make me worse.

About betahistine, it does work for me. It is a VERY safe medicine, it almost never produces side effects and most of them disappear within weeks. Its effect begins to show after one month, but it does not take full effect until six months. And in addition to reducing vertigo attacks and their duration, they can also reduce tinnitus.

There is no risk of withdrawing suddenly, but I would not do it unless it is causing side effects or that after 6 months you are completely sure that nothing has improved.

5. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    No I did not take anything for the anxiety merlin.

• Like Like x 1
  6. merlin007

merlin007 New Member

Mar 22, 2020
    How much betahistine do you take

7. Marta

Marta Active Member

Jan 26, 2016
    I used to take (don’t remember exact numbers) from low to very high dosages. Nothing helped. However there are people who found relief in betahistine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. IvanA

IvanA Active Member

Apr 30, 2020
    I am in 24mg x 2/day. But my ENT wants me to stop taking it to see what happens. I do not know how that will help in the diagnosis if she does not send me to do other medical tests, on July 9th I have to go see her and I will stop taking betahistine a week before.

It does not seem a good idea to me the truth, with betahistine I improved a little; but I still have little mental dizziness, fortunately now it is a few seconds and every many hours; but it makes clear that the disease is still there.

9. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I take Amitriptyline also.