1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Are We Immune Compromised?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by zotjen, Jan 13, 2021.

1. zotjen

zotjen Member

May 12, 2014
    I know there's been some controversy as to whether or not Meniere's is an autoimmune disease. Depending on what you read or who you talk to the answer can be either yes, no, or maybe. And if the answer is yes, does that mean we are immune compromised and if so, what are we more susceptible to? At 54 I'm pretty healthy and don't get sick often.

I do know that when I was officially diagnosed with Meniere's about 7 years ago, my doctor did send me for a blood test to check if I had an autoimmune disease and it came back negative. I have no idea what he was looking for though.

The reason I ask is because I'm filling out a Covid vaccination registration form and one of the questions it asks is if I am immune compromised. I'm really not sure what to put. If it just asked if I had an autoimmune disease I would probably check Yes, but in this case I'm not sure what to do.

This is a big issue for me because based upon the other qualifications, it could be quite a while before I'm eligible to receive the vaccine.

Tom

2. Rubygirl

Rubygirl Member

Oct 4, 2020
    Since nobody knows what causes MD and as you noted there is much debate, this wouldn't fall into what they are asking for. They want to know if you have an official autoimmune disease like Lupus or Hashimoto's Thyroiditis or AIDS or something like that.

And you said you have been really healthy otherwise. If you had a "compromised immune system" to the extent that they are asking - you would sure know!

I think for most, yes the immune system is involved, but to the extent that it is maybe overworked dealing with keeping dormant viruses at bay, dealing with foods you may be eating but sensitive to/allergic to, taken down a notch with stress, salt, sugar, etc. And many other factors that can lead to chronic inflammation in the body. And this applies to other conditions well beyond MD (it's just our weak spot). So probably it would be more an immune system dysfuction or exhaustion rather than compromise....

Anyway, I would answer no to that question personally....

• Like Like x 2
  3. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I agree. I think immune compromised would refer to people taking cancer treatments or other drugs that suppress the immune system. I am excited to have a chance to get my first shot Monday and hope my body makes great antibodies to this virus. I have read too much from people who had it and have lingering problems from it months after ‘recovering’ and these were not old people.

4. Donamo

Donamo Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Yes, June, that is the part that scares the heck out of me too, the possible ongoing problems after I am "over it". I find that as I get older, almost nothing completely goes away, things just pile on! :(
    As you know, I had the first Pfizer shot 6 days ago, second one scheduled for Jan 30.

Good luck to you on Monday! Where are you, if you don't mind me asking?

• Like Like x 1
  5. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Georgia

6. Brother_of_Nool

Brother_of_Nool Member

May 24, 2019
    New York
    I thought the exact same thing just the other day. It's a bit of a bummer.