1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Atmospheric Pressure Changes

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MaryR, Dec 1, 2019.

1. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Hi Friends,
    Hope everyone was able to enjoy the weekend. After a few months that I thought I was heading in a positive direction, I had the mother of all vertigo attacks yesterday. I know a lot of people across the country are dealing with storms and weather changes, so I wanted to share this article I found today linking changes in atmospheric pressure and onset of vertigo attacks the following day in Menieres patients.
    This seems right on target to me, and actually gives me some peace that at least maybe there was a trigger or reason for my out-of-nowhere attack.
    Here’s the article. Would love to hear your thoughts.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4838262/

w
    armly,
    Mary

2. Daniel

Daniel Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Great find on this article. I live in NY and we’re in the midst of a storm front. I’m having one of my worst days I’ve had in months. I have never had any vertigo and still do not, but upon waking up this morning , I immediately knew something was up. Tinnitus as aggressive as ever, ear pressure/fullness was as bad as I can recall and hearing was down some.
    I originally attributed my increase in symptoms to my lack of adherence to low sodium diet given Thanksgiving was just here, but I feel like this could be an explanation.

3. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Mary thank you for this post. I had a laby 7 years ago so I don't have vertigo. That being said I have on many occasions had menier related symptoms when the barometric pressure changed. Increase in tinnitus along with unbelievable head pressure. Without a doubt I believe this study is right on target!

4. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I am also having a crappy day, most of the day I felt that vertigo was in my future. Things have calmed down now. Also interesting in this article, 20% of all attacks over the study happened in October. That is always my worst month.

5. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Excellent article. Very understanding of the terrible impact - this would be a good intro to quote if you are fighting for disability benefits.

When explaining Menieres to people, I often use a similar phrase - that it’s severe, doesn’t kill you, but just makes you wish it would!

And yes here in Chinook wind country I can testify to barometric hell!

6. Autumninthefall

Autumninthefall Active Member

Aug 10, 2019

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. California Sun

California Sun Active Member

May 23, 2019
    I guess I'm not crazy after all---it isn't "all in my mind" and there really is something to this. We've had a lot of rain and with it the barometric pressure changes. I've had a few days where I just felt "off". Nothing severe but bad enough that I didn't feel well.

This article should be in the Database.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Riplip

Riplip Member

Mar 16, 2018
    NH
    I agree with this. The NE has had some storms lately and I've had the most head pressure, roaring tinnitus and complete uneasy feeling in awhile. Multiple times since Thanksgiving I've thought I was gonna be rolled by another bad one but it just feels right on the edge and the pain and pressure between the eyebrows suck. Good find. Now they just need to figure out how to stop it.

9. KaSchu

KaSchu New Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Thanks so much for sharing this article! I've known for quite a while that changes in air pressure was a big trigger for me. I live in Seattle, and I can almost always tell before opening my curtains if the weather changed overnight. I think this last episode was triggered by a big storm we had 2 months ago.

I was also triggered badly 2 weeks ago when we went up into the mountains for a weekend getaway. I could barely walk by the time we got there.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    Apparently San Diego and Honolulu are supposed to be great for very low changes in barometric pressure.

In Canada, I think the Saanich Peninsula or Victoria win.

Geographic cure, anyone?

11. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    Those are also prob the 2 highest cost of living cities in US. Ha!

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. redwing1951

redwing1951 Well-Known Member

May 13, 2014
    New Hampshire/Florida
    Don't come to Florida in October! It has been a nightmare for me this year. The pressure in my head was so bad I popped a blood vessel in my eye. No joke! I was miserable for a good two weeks.

13. Dnrpn

Dnrpn Member

May 11, 2019
    Canada
    How big does the change in pressure need to be to have an effect on us?

14. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019

15. MaryR

MaryR New Member

Jul 25, 2019
    Wish I knew the answer to that. I need to read up on weather forecasting and download some pressure tracking apps on my phone, I suppose. Also, I am wondering how long the lingering symptoms associated with these atmospheric pressure changes typically last... the increases head and sinus pressure, aural fullness, extra T, muffled and distorted hearing, and general sense of congestion and extra fluid. For me, I had a whopper of a 12 hour vertigo attack this weekend on Saturday, and have felt so much aural pressure, horrible T, noise sensitivity, constant popping and crackling, and massively distorted and muffled hearing in my MM ear as well as in my “good”’ear. It is just starting to ease a tiny bit tonight, almost 4 days after my vertigo attack, and long past the storm we had here in NYC. To be honest, I am freaking that this could mean that I am going bilateral.

16. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Absolutely tied to barometric pressure especially sudden changes. My ent pointed out, in fish the ear. is the organ that senses depth( pressure).

• Like Like x 1
  17. AnneT

AnneT Well-Known Member

May 14, 2014
    Alberta
    June
    Oh that helps it make sense. I’ve been talking to my body, telling it how amazing it is to be able to detect barometric changes, but this is not useful info for me! I don’t know why it has to give me a headache or vertigo... I can just look out the window and see the weather! Oh well.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    I don’t think it’s possible:

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    This is useful.

20. Autumninthefall

Aug 10, 2019
    Hubris? On Wednesday a cold front moved in with the possible gift of snow. Tuesday through Wednesday morning predicted a 3hr window for passing flurries, if anything. The exact hour it shifted and odds became 60-100% for snow for 7hrs straight, I knew. I told my husband before it was announced. The pain/pressure was excruciating. Plus side, he took the early doctor’s appointment instead of trying to go to an afternoon one. :(