1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

AV experience

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by MD1, May 19, 2014.

1. MD1

MD1 New Member

May 13, 2014
    I have been taking AV for about 4 weeks( Acyclovir 800 * 3 for 3 weeks, then 800* 2). My understanding is that initially it flares up the MD symptoms , then it stabilizes and then it improves it. I had veritigo attack on first week and one on yesterday and I had many other lightheaded days,. Definitively the last 4 weeks were worse than the 4 weeks before taking the AV.

Is it typical to see 4 weeks of flare up period? Normally how long it takes to see some improvement?

My good ear also started showing high level of tinnitus and some pressure/pain in the middle/inner ear. It make me panic.

Please share your experience.

Thanks.

2. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Some of us on acyclovir, including myself needed to stay on the 2400mg a day longer than the 3 weeks, I also had to stay on the 1200 mg a lot longer than usual, every time I decreased to 800 mg a day I felt my symptoms returning. I was finally able to decrease to the maintenance dose of 800mg a day after many weeks. I take 400 mg twice a day now for several months and I intend to stay on that for the long term barring any unforeseen issues.

The general rule is not to decrease until your vertigo is under control. Also your MM might be getting affected by allergies during this time of year.

I do know some got worse before better on AV's, but I was lucky and got improvement almost immediately w/o getting worse first.

3. MD1

MD1 New Member

May 13, 2014
    Thanks Vicki,
    Let me try to increase the dosage and see how it affects.

4. Vicki

Vicki Guest

You're welcome MD1 also some have found it helpful to spread the 2400 mg more often throughout the day, instead of 3 pills a day they took it more often by either cutting the 800 mg in half or by using 400 mg pills.

It's trial and error as everything else with MM.
    Just make sure to get blood work every few months to make sure your kidneys and liver are functioning well while taking an AV. To date I have not had an issue.
    Good Luck!

5. BumbleBea

BumbleBea Fallen Angel

May 13, 2014
    When I started antivirals, I didn't see a real change for a couple of months. Then so,etimes I would slip back for awhile though not as bad as it ever was. Then I'd start to feel better again. Now I'm pretty good. Some tinnitus when the weather is bad and pressure. If I get really stressed I may get a little spin but enough to put me to bed. So, hang in there. It should get better. Give it time.