1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

AVs for 2 years, relapse or slight bump in the road?

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Gardengal, Aug 29, 2017.

1. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    Just my advice, but once you get it back under control, i wouldn't stop the lysine... ever. :)

2. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    3000mg/day Lysine maintenance?

3. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    That's what i'm doing. On an empty stomach, i take 1000 mg 3x per day. I do not have any plans to let the virus fight back if i can help it.

But again, it's only my opinion. :)

4. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    An opinion backed by many others on this forum

5. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    What brand lysine do y'all take?

6. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    Solgar

7. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I take NOW brand capsules.

8. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    I have Solgar too.

9. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    After 13 days on the max dose of famvir I am vertigo free for 2 days. My ear feels clear. I will let you all know what happens from here. Pre-AVs this pattern of daily vertigo would have lasted a minimum of 6 weeks. This was just short of 2 weeks. I would never have had a 2 day break in a flare. We shall see....

10. June-

June- Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    Happy to hear this!

11. BayMama

BayMama Member

Jul 12, 2014
    That's great news! I hope it keeps up!

12. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    What is your maximum dose Gardengal that you are referring to?

13. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    500mg 3x per day

I had dropped to 250 3x per day

14. Gardengal

Gardengal Member

May 12, 2015
    So I have been feeling pretty good for almost two weeks. Back to activities and going out and about in town. Had a few dizzy moments yesterday and today. They are brief. Not vertigo at all. They give me some anxiety but I am hoping it's just the crap from that flare up clearing out.

I am going to stay on the high dose for a bit, until I feel very good for a while. I have to convince my GP to up my script! She is worried about me being on this stuff for life so I had gone way down. Oh well, if she says no I'll have to find someone else.

Thanks for the support on here! You guys are the best.

15. forevergrateful

forevergrateful Member

Feb 24, 2017
    Gardengal, It's strange to me that your Dr would be worried about you being on AVs for life. My Dr isnt worried at all, nor is the Johns Hopkins doc I've seen on occasion. Heck, even my dermatologist says that VAL or FAM are relatively benign medications in terms of side effects, and have no qualms about my dosage. I"ll even add I was on a daily dose (500mg)of VAL for 16years for another condition. When I stopped that dosage is when my MM symptoms came on with a vengeance (I didnt know then of the correlation with MM). In any event, dont worry about the meds. Right now, I'm taking 1000mg of FAM 3x daily for three weeks per Dr Gacek's recommendation, eventually I'll go down to 1000mg daily. This is a new AV for me, so I"m keeping my fingers crossed it will be effective where my VAL seemed to have lost some of its effectiveness. It was worth a try to see what happens. Only time will tell. So glad you're feeling better. I hope it continues to improve. Keep us posted.

16. scott tom

scott tom Active Member

May 14, 2015
    I agree. There are minimal side effects, and a yearly blood test to check for liver and kidney functions should suffice. Lots of people with the herp take Val for life.

17. mzwern

mzwern New Member

Sep 25, 2015
    I have been on antivirals and and John of Ohio supplements for about a year and a half. I was diagnosed about two years ago with the disease. After a couple of months of this
    regimen my symptoms went away permanently. I even went back to eating whatever I wanted. I will say this, occasionally I do have the ringing, which has been the most difficult thing to eradicate. And when I get severe allergies I will have some fullness of the ear, but for the most part I guess I have nothing to complain about. I try not freak out when this happens, but not ever wanting to go back to the way I was sometimes makes this difficult.
    Hopefully you snap right back.
    Mark

18. dwaynehoover

dwaynehoover Member

May 13, 2014
    Hey MZwern, nice story, which antiviral do you take and what dose did you start with etc.?

19. teesdale

teesdale Active Member

Oct 24, 2014
    Dwayne,
    I have a similar story to MZ but I have only been dizzy free for 90 consecutive days not a couple of years. My hearing has actually improved through the use of A/V's as well. At least I have no other explanation for the improvement.

I started on the Northstar brand valacyclovir (3000mg per day) several months ago. After a month or so I found relief and started feeling really well. Then I changed medical plans and went on a few other brands (Mylan, Cipra) and was right back with constant disequilibrium and roaring tinnitus. I finally went back on the Northstar in mid-June and now I have been symptom free since 10 July (with the exception of mild/medium tinnitus). I dropped down to 2000mg per day in August. Not sure when I will reduce to 1000mg, if ever. I know I am not disclosing any reductions and I will continue to get the max dose prescribed for as long as I can. No telling when I will end up with another dud manufacturer so I will try to stockpile.

20. Speedyhaze

Speedyhaze New Member

Jul 15, 2017
    Worthing United Kingdom
    Hi everyone I have suffered with Menieres for 15 years now although I have had some long periods of time symptom free, I went through a lot of stress at work in July this year and unfortunately my attacks have returned with a vengeance, my last attack lasted 4 hours with violent vomiting as well, My GP has put me on Betahistine and referred me back to ENT which I am now waiting for an appointment. I live in the UK and as I am reading a lot here about the benefits of anti viral I am wondering if I should mention this at my appointment. I am also interested in taking Lysine but I have been told in my local health food shop that I should not take this as I am taking SImvastatin for high cholesterol,any advise on that? The Betahistine seems to help with the severity of my attacks but still spend most days feeling dizzy and off balance, work is almost impossible and my anxiety is through the roof. Any support here would be very welcome as I feel very depressed about the return of this horrible condition.