1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

beginning of the end

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Santa, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    This virus is producing the weirdest sounds I have ever heard. I started out ok this morning and then an hour later while I'm sitting at my computer. I feel vertigo coming on. I took nicmgr's advice and popped a meclizine. It helped. I got up and continued to get ready to go to work. Before going into a building to sing with six different classes I put a meclizine in My pocket. At the beginning of the second hour I felt the vertigo coming on. I immediately reached into my pocket and took the meclizine.
    I am hearing sounds in my ear I have never heard before. First it sounded like a helicopter was in there. Whup, whup whup whup and screeching, squeaking and squawking.
    These sounds have got to be the virus fighting to stay viable.
    Right now there is a long horn honk mixed with high pitched tinnitus
    I have to go to an assisted living facility and sing for an hour and then to a memory care facility for an hour and then to the gym for an hour work out.
    I am keeping some meclizine in my pocket now every where I go
    It doesn't make me feel much better but I can slowly turn my head left and right soon after taking one
    Time to get back to work
    Thanks for listening
    Good Health to everyone

2. Kevinb003

Kevinb003 Active Member

May 15, 2014
    I experienced something very similar (sound wise) a few days after my Laby. Heard the helicopter and what I would describe almost as a science fiction UFO taking off. All perceived from an inner ear that no longer existed. Of course we know tinnitus can be produced by the brain, but man, this is a weird thing we have. Hope things get better for you soon.

Kevin

3. VikingMan

VikingMan Guest

Like phantom limb for the ear. You know the guys who loose a leg but still feel pain coming from the limb that isn't there... I wonder if that's possible.

4. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    After that terrible Monday this week the rest of the week has been AMAZING!!!

I hate to come on here and tell of how good I am doing. Because every time I do the next day I am back to aural fullness with vertigo issues.

But, I am going to do tell my good news anyway! Because this really could be the beginning of the end. The end of this virus controlling me. Instead I shall be controlling it.

As I have stated before I have been on valacyclovir, JOH's regimen, vitamin D3, plus the pycnogenol from vitacost. Up until 13 days ago I was still having a cup of coffee in the morning and 2-4 oz of vodka almost every night.

So, I haven't had any alcohol for 13 days and maybe four cups of coffee spread out over this period.

Last Friday I received a new product to add to my regimen- called OPC- it's made by hbc Protocols- It is Masquelier's 100% pure Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins------OK, I am not great on all the scientific names but the gist is-------Masquelier is the man in France that came up with the way to get the goodies out of French Maritime Pine Bark and from Grape seeds. I started this on Friday and on Monday I had those weird sounds going on (read above) But, on Tuesday, no aural fullness and the tinnitus is a lot lower in volume.

http://www.hbcprotocols.com/products-OPC180.html

I'm hoping someone else will order this product and see if you get the same results I am getting.

But, then again it could be that I cut out alcohol and cut way down on caffeine. I am not going to have another alcohol drink until March 18. (It's just a deal I made with myself.)

The so called pycnogenol that comes from Dr. Gianni Belcaro's study is from a US company, Horphag, (which wasn't doing anything for me) that basically stole Masquelier's formula and the story goes they cheapened it and it is not as good a product as OPC. (of course this could be a marketing ploy)

5. Bulldogs

Bulldogs Well-Known Member

May 12, 2014
    I had the same thing except I heard Nicole Kidman telling me she wanted me in bed. I run up the stairs and the only thing i see is my 300 lb bed ridden wife with eating a half gallon of Birthday Cake Ice Cream. Talk about a buzz kill.

Hang in there everybody, it gets better.
    I am sympathetic to the laby.

6. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Tuesday was the first day of very clear ear, no aural fullness, no distortion and no need to wear ear plugs. Except Wednesday night at Band Practice.
    There has been low pressure systems all week and this is the best four days I have had in almost a year.
    My hearing in affected ear is almost as good as my other ear. Well, at least three quarters.

It still might be that I cut out the alcohol and cut down on caffeine.

This OPC is only $76 for a three month supply. It might be worth a try.

I'll keep updating.........

7. VikingMan

VikingMan Guest

What is this stuff? Could you by chance link to an online source you use to purchase it?

8. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Hi Vikingman

the website link is in my second post in this thread look above

9. VikingMan

VikingMan Guest

How many days passed since you stopped drinking alcohol and feeling much improved?

10. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Eight days after stopping the alcohol. I haven't had a drink in 15 days now and I am still clear ear and no vertigo. I will not reintroduce alcohol until March 18.

11. Hollyflo

Hollyflo Member

Sep 19, 2014
    And miss St Patty's Day? ;)

12. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Hey Holly, I have an Irish friend who says 'Americans celebrate St Paddy's day more than the Irish."

However; I might have to give myself a bit of a reprieve as this March 8 my wife and I are celebrating our 40th wedding anniversary.

It's either the 'No Alcohol, cutting way back on caffeine or this new OPC supplement that has kept my ear clear for seven days and no vertigo.

We have had bad weather. Low pressure system after low pressure system and they are not affecting me.

13. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    Santa, whatever the combination that is working.....It is Working!! Congrats and enjoy each "good ear day"! ;D

14. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Thanks Nic, I'm loving it.

I can actually love listening to music again. I even do my one man band act with no ear plug. I do it acoustically with guitar, bass drum, hi hat cymbals, harmonica and sing.

I will still wear ear plugs when playing with the band.

15. nicmger

nicmger Member

May 12, 2014
    I have had a nice stretch of "good ear days" and don't take one of them for granted. I end everyday saying thanks for "not going dizzy" and "having a good ear day". Seems a small thing to be thankful for...unless someone has suffered with this darn thing like us!

16. VikingMan

VikingMan Guest

VERY interested to hear which it is, once you have had a chance to test the theory with some alcohol, not that I want you to have a vertigo attack! I heard about pycnogenol before I found this forum. I'm pretty sure the stuff I'm taking is the Horphag stuff. Though I am planning on buying the HBC stuff after this current bottle is done in either case. It's actually cheeper per pill than the stuff I'm taking now.

17. RedBird11

RedBird11 Member

May 12, 2014
    Missouri
    I am glad something is working for you, Santa! I am thinking about trying that supplement. My ear has been bothering me the past few weeks, especially today. I had a good month and a half stretch where I had very little fullness, and the tinnitus was low. That ended a few weeks ago and its pretty discouraging.

18. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Right now I start my day with 1,000 mg of Lysine, 20 minutes before eating
    I am taking 2,000 gms of valacyclovir-one in morning and one at night
    vinpocetine 10 mg morning and night
    Lindberg's lemon bioflavinoids 700 mg morning and night
    Vitamin c complex (sustained) 1,000 morning and night
    OPC 100 mg morning and night
    For allergies I am using Flonase - one squirt in each nostril- morning and night
    one 15/30 probiotic each morning with the lysine
    7,000 units of Vitamin D3 and a multi vitamin

I was taking all of these for months and had a good day or two followed by a bad day or two. But, I was pretty much having aural fullness all the time.
    I cut out the alcohol on February 15 and cut way back on caffeine. On March 20th I got the OPC. On March 23rd I had the most bizarre sounds in my MM ear and some vertigo (not much.) Maybe because I took nicmgr advise and popped in a meclizine as soon as I felt it coming on.
    On March 24 I woke up to clear ear and I have had clear ear ever since. And no vertigo. Seven days in a row. And I am noticing the tinnitus is at a very low volume.

This weekend I am pretty sure I am going to give myself a alcohol reprieve. My wife and I are celebrating our 40th Anniversary and we will probably pop something bubbly. After this weekend I am going back on my "No Alcohol until March 18th." March 18th I am going to Sebring Florida for 3 days of sportscar racing. I will be wearing ear plugs.

19. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Just want to clarify the amount of valacyclovir I am taking. It's 1,000 in morning and 1,000 at night.

20. Vicki

Vicki Guest

Congratulations on your 40th wedding anniversary! and that you are feeling better :)