1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

beginning of the end

Discussion in 'Your Living Room' started by Santa, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Michaelmusicianwithmenier New Member

Apr 17, 2015
    I haven't looked or posted on this website for awhile due feeling hopeless and depressed. I have been on the JOH for about 3 mos. now. I have not had any vertigo attacks in a month which is great! My biggest issue still is the aural fullness, fluctuating hearing and tinnitus. Hearing aids seem to help with the tinnitus. Not so much with the hearing. But the fullness is horrible and seems to go hand and hand with the hearing. Being a musician as yourself this has really put a damper on trying to play and sing together. Things get very muddy and hard to continue. Music is THE most important thing in my life besides family. It would be great to open up my ears. Also I haven't taken the Valacyclovir. Is that prescription or over the counter? Your improvement sounds promising and gives hope. Congrats to you and continued success!!

2. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Continue with the regimen. It can take up to six months for ample levels of relief to be reached (For those unaware, scrutinize this: http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf. )

But investigate adding an antiherpetic (requires a prescription). Read this: http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=557.0

Keep us posted on your progress. The absence of vertigo attacks is very positive. The hydrops should subside.

--John of Ohio

3. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Apr 17, 2015
    Thanks for the info. I'm pretty fed up with ENTs. The last one (my 6th) did his best to try and help but it got to the point where he basically said he had no more answers. I have spent thousands on tests, hearing aids, appointments etc. I had to retire from working doing musical instrument repairs due to the shop being to loud to handle(banging on brass to remove dents etc), job stress. My symptoms would get worse some times causing me to become incapacitated. At 64 it is a bit difficult to change professions. Ergo I have no decent medical insurance and can't afford to keep up with allergy treatments and such. I am just now paying off the last of my debts to the ENT. I don't want to give up but have pretty much become a hermit.

4. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    Michael----Never Give Up!!!

JOH's Regimen has helped many get their hearing back, overcome the aural fullness and brain fog.

I was on his regimen along with acyclovir for 5 months. My hearing, aural fullness and brain fog and vertigo and dizzies fluctuated for those 5 months. It was very frustrating and I had the impression that I was eventually going to go deaf in that ear.

About the 6th month I switched to valacyclovir and three months later is when I added the OPC. Three days after starting the OPC (could be coincidental) my ear freaked out. Strangest noises I had ever heard and mild vertigo ( mild, maybe because I took a meclizine as soon as it started.)

I still take valacyclovir, OPC and Lysine. Three months ago I started taking monolaurin ( I don't know if that has improved anything.) But studies show that monolaurin can kill viruses, so I will continue to take it.

Last year was a trip through hell. It started in March of 2014. The aural fullness and brain fog drove me bananas. It also drove me to this forum where I have discovered many folks dedicated to help.

Good Health to You!

5. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Apr 17, 2015
    Appreciate your support. At times I have felt it is never going to get better (as I'm sure many have). But since the vertigo started to subside it has given me a new sense of hope. I just want to sing and play again. My days of being a rock star ended long ago but not my enjoyment of doing it! Thanks!

6. Vicki

Vicki Guest

The vertigo stopping is a great sign! I would suggest trying to get an antiviral it will work faster and work with JOH's regime. Also Dr Gacek's latest paper states hearing can be restored from taking an AV if the damage isn't too severe.

Good luck! and keep us posted

7. Lisa

Lisa Member

Mar 21, 2015
    I read that when symptoms are more Constant
    It's usually menieres syndrome which is
    Caused by something which could be thyroid, diabetes and something
    An auto immune problem. My problem
    Is more constant as well and is also the ear
    With hearing and tinitus. I am currently having
    My thyroid meds adjusted and my mm occurred
    The same time as thyroid went wacky but
    It will
    Take time to know if that's what caused
    My symptoms maybe if you haven't yet done
    It get blood work done. The doctors
    Never look into things they just treat symptoms

8. Michaelmusicianwithmenier

Apr 17, 2015
    Thanks I'll ask the Dr. I get tested for sugar, cholesterol etc every 6 months so will see. I'm going to try the monolaurin and OPC also. At this point I'm ready to try anything.

9. John of Ohio

John of Ohio Active Member

May 17, 2014
    Those wishing "to try anything" might first consider Dr. Gacek's antiherpetic therapy and my Meniere's treatment regimen. Both have demonstrated, recorded high rates of symptomatic suppression (in the 80%+ range).

So far, there is very limited data on the efficacy of monolaurin and OPC Meniere's therapies.

Ponder these two postings:
    http://www.zoominternet.net/~kcshop/JOH.pdf
    http://menieres.org/talk/index.php?topic=557.0

--John of Ohio

10. Vicki

Vicki Guest

I agree with JOH if you can get a script for valcyclovir but if you can't then try one of the other treatments.

11. tmcmahon2

tmcmahon2 Member

May 9, 2015
    Perhaps this post is best suited for another thread but ...

Is there a comparison of the antivirals anywhere? Which seem to work better, less side effects, faster, etc.

12. MarylandCrabbing

MarylandCrabbing New Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Does that helicopter sound anything like hearing your heartbeat right next to your ear? That's what I hear!

13. Santa

Santa Member

Aug 5, 2014
    NO. I have heard the heart beat or a flushing sound which corelates to heart beat rhythm But, the helicopter was faster and a distinct whup, whup, whup.

14. MarylandCrabbing

MarylandCrabbing New Member

Jul 13, 2015
    Thanks, Santa!