1. Get our daily digest email where we email the latest new topics from our Strictly Health forum to keep up with the latest developments! Click here to subscribe.

Better-than-Takeout Stir-Fried Udon with pork

Discussion in 'Your Lovely Kitchen' started by danielgraves, Jul 31, 2020.

1. danielgraves

danielgraves New Member

Jul 31, 2020
    New York
    The reviews are mostly amazing. I made it because we had leftover pork tenderloin, so I simply diced it and tossed it into the cabbage (with the ginger and pepper flakes, which I used sambal oelek in place of dry flakes).
    I had no scallions so I used 1/4 of a medium red onion.
    I didn't want to dig for my ginger in the freezer so used powdered ginger and ginger juice.
    I cut the mirin and soy to 1/4 cup each. You could easily cut the soy a bit more (4 tbs = 1/4 cup so you could use 3 tbs). I also purchased authentic Mirin (no sugar, actually fermented to make it taste sweet).
    The reviews offer a lot of other people's tweaks. This is a definite repeater. I could see this over rice or quinoa or zoodles.
    The directions go on and on and I did it in less than 10 minutes...so I will post the ingredients and if it piques your curiosity, feel free to go to the site.
    Ingredients

2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
    4 cups very coarsely chopped green cabbage (from about ¼ medium head)
    2 7-ounce packages instant udon noodles, flavor packets discarded
    2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
    8 ounces ground pork
    5 scallions, white and pale-green parts coarsely chopped, dark-green parts thinly sliced
    2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger (from a 1-inch knob)
    1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
    ⅓ cup mirin
    ⅓ cup soy sauce
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds, plus more for serving

• Like Like x 1
  2. Nathan

Nathan Active Member

May 12, 2014
    Subsurface ocean, Europa
    Every now & again I come across a word that sounds intrinsically humorous, regardless of the definition of the given word.

Zoodles is one of those words.

If I were a dad, I can imagine feeding my daughter or my son zoodles, & saying 'zoom zoom zoom come the zoodles'.